AFTER the Banger World Cup, it was back to a "normal" stock car meeting, if there is ever such a thing, at the Cowdenbeath Racewall on Saturday night, writes our Racewall scribe Jim Turner.

The new grades came into play and as a result there were quite a few drivers starting from different places on the grid. It was a fair night, although it was dull, but the track was dry.

Kyle Taylor was the only visitor in the Formula II line-up, although Craig Wallace had moved from the red grade to Superstar, whilst Peter Watt had been upgraded from blue to red. Making his first appearance for some time was Antony McAuliffe.

The opening heat saw Cameron McDonald and McAuliffe battle it out until the latter took the lead. At quarter distance Graham Leckie took over, and whilst he went on to win, had Reece McIntosh breathing down his neck and they crossed the finish line in close order.

The border duo of McDonald and McAuliffe diced over the opening laps of heat two but once Lewis Burgoyne took the lead, he eased away from the field to record a comfortable win over Leckie and McIntosh.

The final saw McDonald lead away and then he lost out to McAuliffe who then lost out to Brian Hogg Jnr. Just prior to the half distance Hogg Jnr half spun allowing Steven Burgoyne to take the lead with John Hogg following.

Oil was dropped on to the track, causing the drivers all sorts of problems. Hogg got ahead but then lost out the following lap. The leading duo were running in close order but on the last bend S. Burgoyne tangled with a back marker, half spun, but managed to get back on to the line to win narrowly from Hogg and Craig Wallace. McAuliffe was the recipient of a tyre being the first lower graded driver home!

Central Fife Times: Steven Burgoyne, winner of the Formula II final, in action.Steven Burgoyne, winner of the Formula II final, in action. (Image: Cowdenbeath Racewall)

The Saloon drivers had been in good form this season and they continued in that vein.
Again there were numerous grade changes, whilst Robin Copland was having his first Racewall outing.

It was Copland who got the proceedings underway when heat one started, but Nicole Russell hit a problem and retired. On lap three Andrew Mathieson took the lead with Barry Glen moving into second. Stuart Shevill Jnr retired whilst Gary Paterson, Dale Robertson and Zak Gilmour joined in the dice for the lead. Glen hit the front but a lap later lost out to Gilmour. Gilmour then fended off Glen's attempt to retake the lead to win with Robertson in third place.

Copland led the cars away when heat two started, with Barry Glen getting a good start and was leading the chase for the leader. Quarter of the way in Glen was ahead, and whilst he went through to a comfortable win Gary Paterson caught Copland to finish as the runner-up with Gilmour third and Copland dropped to fifth after jumping the start.

The Saloon final was led off by Copland, but although chased by Gary Paterson, held on for a few laps before the lead changed hands. By then Glen had caught them and made short work of getting ahead.

Gilmour was in second a few laps later, whilst Paterson was caught and overtaken by Jordan Cassie. Glen went through for his second win of the night, leading home Gilmour and Cassie, but Barry Russell spun Honeyman on the run-up to the finish line causing the drivers in close order to take avoiding action.

The main race for the ORCi Stock Rods was for the Gordon Ross Memorial Trophy which was to be their opening race. There was a good turn-out of drivers with Jamie Dawson and Graham Osborne having their first runs from the red grade.

It was a public draw in grades for the Gordon Ross race but whilst Aaron Forgie led the field away, Ian Donaldson was caught on the pit bend and spun suspending the race.

On the restart Stuart Wedderburn led from Bailey McKinnon and whilst they diced for the lead, they were being reeled in by a group of cars. B. McKinnon and Jamie Dawson tangled on the back straight with both retiring. 

Stuart McKinnon then moved into the lead but had Michael Bethune and Cammy Doak for company. Bethune found the inside line to take the lead and eased away and on to win with Doak grabbing second from S. McKinnon on the penultimate lap.

Whilst Forgie led the cars away when heat one started, the race was suspended when Keiran McKinnon slid into the wall. The field lined up behind Forgie, but next time around Aiden McKinnon was ahead. He was chased by Wedderburn but at the flag A. McKinnon was the first home from McKinnon and Stewart Paterson.

Heat two was a matter of a few laps old when Dylan Smart spun suspending the race. Wedderburn led on the restart from A. McKinnon but he was to spin.

S. McKinnon moved into second, but he was struggling to close the gap. Wedderburn reeled off the remaining laps to win from S. McKinnon, with Bethune third.

The Prostock drivers were having their second outing at the Racewall.

Jamie Doyle was the heat one leader but he ended up against the wall, suspending the race. Lewis Gilchrist should have led the field away but he pulled and whilst Callum McIvor led, he was caught and passed by Paul Barron who went on to win. McIvor held on to second with John Mason just holding off Ryan Martin for third.

Heat two was led off by Gilchrist, but he soon had McIvor and Gregor Whyte for company. A few laps later they were joined by Barron who made light work of taking the lead before going on to win from Gilchrist and Whyte.

Owen Bonner was the early heat leader but a three car tangle suspended the race and spoiled Barron's chance of a hat trick.  Bonner led, but lost out to McIvor, who in turn clouted the wall and handing the lead to Grady Ross. Bonner was another who hit the wall and retired as Ross went through to win from John Mason and Scott Gardner.

It’s going to be a busy meeting on Saturday with the Formula IIs and Saloon stock cars being joined by the Ministox and Micro F2s with a 6pm start.