Cowdenbeath 1, East Stirlingshire 2

Lowland League

COWDENBEATH’S poor run of home form continued on Saturday, with East Stirlingshire just managing to hold on for a narrow victory in what turned out to be Calum Elliot's last match in charge of the Central Park outfit.

In a game dominated by a strong wind, Cowden had plenty of opportunities to score the goals which could have won them the game, but these were missed and the Shire, who kept working hard throughout the game, rode their luck at times.

Central Fife Times:

With the wind behind them in the first period Cowdenbeath went forward at will, and scorned several openings, but could just not get the goal they wanted, and in a very rare visiting raid, East Stirling took a half-time lead.

Then an own goal situation, just after the break gave them a cushion, although the Blues  still created chances, but only converted one of them, leaving them with only two home wins this term so far.

In eight minutes Cowden came close to the opener, when Andy Rodden’s 20 yard free-kick produced a good save from ‘Shire ‘keeper Ollie Ecrepont.

Central Fife Times:

With wind advantage Cowdenbeath kept looking to attack and in 26 minutes Ecrepont made another good block, this time from home skipper Robbie McNab.

Then six minutes later Zac Butterworth brought out another good stop from the ‘keeper after a good piece of play by the home attacker, and a fine piece of work by him then set up Daryl Healy, but Ecrepont kept his flick out.

With five minutes to go to the break ‘Shire’s Scott Honeyman got into the home box, but fine work by Rodden and Craig Donald kept him out, then at the other end Robbie McNab was defied by Ecrepont.

Central Fife Times:

Then, in a rare Shire attack two minutes from half-time, Liam Rankin fired the visitors ahead with a well place 12-yarder after a fine run and cross by Shaun Brown.

Six minutes into the second period Shire struck again, when a low cross hit the back-tracking Butterworth, and rolled into the net with Hepburn beaten.

Then in 62 minutes Hepburn made a fine save from a 20-yard Callum Murray drive, but three minutes later, half-time sub for the Blues, Aiden McLaughlin, brought out a fine save from Ecrepont.

However, in 71 minutes Shire threatened again when Ynyr Liddell’s close-in shot produced a fine save from Hepburn, but with only three minutes to go Cowden pulled one back with a fine shot from McLaughlin from 14 yards.

Central Fife Times:

In time added on Docherty ran clear but his shot crept inches past the post - somewhat typical of Cowden’s luck at home this season.

Cowdenbeath: Hepburn; Jordan, Rodden, McNab, Donald, Denham (McLaughlin 46), Butterworth, McDonald (MacDonald 83), Healy, Chalmers (Coventry 73), Docherty. Subs not used, Berry and Blair (gk).

East Stirlingshire: Ecrepont; Coutts, McLean, Campbell, Inglis, Gomis, Honeyman (Flynn 74), Liddell, Rankin (Fotheringham 66), Murray (Watret 74), Brown (Penker 82). Subs not used, Pyper and Ure (gk).

Referee: Jamie McCunnie.

Attendance: 261.

Central Fife Times: