Cowdenbeath 1, Berwick Rangers 4

It was a very disappointing show, from what looked like a strong Cowdenbeath side on paper, in front of the biggest league crowd of the season at Central Park.

Well over 500 fans gathered for this special match-day on Saturday, organised by the Cowdenbeath Independent Supporters Society, but the vast majority went home disappointed.

The Blues were very flat in the first half, and did little to bother the Berwick defence, held together by former Cowden centre back Dougie Hill.

Central Fife Times:

And at the other end some really slack defending gifted the Wee Gers two goals, and put them on the road to victory.

Cowden did do better in the second half, but missed a couple of good chances, and then a time added on penalty award sealed a poor day for the Blues.

Berwick threatened in four minutes when Grant Nelson’s 18 yarder produced a fine diving save from Josh Blair, as Rangers made a bright start.

Central Fife Times:

Then in 13 minutes they took the lead, when a corner as not dealt with by the home defence, and Jamie McCormack's 14 yard header flew over a stranded Blair.

Then in 19 minutes Blair made a fine save to keep out Liam Buchanan’s low right foot 13 yard shot.

In 36 minutes the Rangers went close again, when Buchanan hit a first time shot only inches wide, but four minutes from the break  Jamie Docherty sent in a curling 20 yarder which produced a fine save from Berwick ‘keeper Calum Antell.

Central Fife Times:

A minute into time added on at the break Joe Ellison added a second from close in after the Cowden defence failed to clear a low cross.

Cowdenbeath made two changes at the break, with Ewan MacPherson and Cieran Chalmers replacing Craig Donald and Zac Butterworth, and the Blues forced three early corners, but couldn’t get a goal.

Berwick hit number three six minutes into the second period, after the move came from a very suspiciously offside position. Jackson Mylchreest’s shot hit the inside of a post and former Cowden striker Buchanan followed up to shoot home from eight yards.

Central Fife Times:

On the hour Cowden came close to a goal when Ewan MacPherson’s first time angled 14 yarder was saved by Antell. 

However, a goal did come in 66 minutes, when MacPherson's powerful header beat the diving goalkeeper.

Cowden kept at it and there were a couple of good chances for Daryl Healy and MacPherson, but they were not taken and in the 93rd minute, Gregor Jordan pulled down a Berwick forward and Jordan Sinclair converted the spot kick to seal a comfortable win for Berwick.

Central Fife Times:

Cowdenbeath: Blair; G MacPherson, Rodden, McNab, Donald (Chalmers 46), Jordan, Butterworth (E MacPherson 46), McLaughlin (Berry 63), Healy, McDonald (MacDonald 63), Docherty. Sub not used, Hepburn (gk).

Berwick Rangers: Antell; Ellison, Sneddon (Klimionek 71), MacKay, McCormack, Sinclair, Nelson, Blair, Buchanan (Sylla 85), Hill (Bright 63), Mylchreest (Graham 63). Subs not used, Junior and Kay (gk).

Referee: Jordan Curran.

Attendance: 552.