Cowdenbeath 1, Linlithgow Rose 1

COWDEN were held by Linlithgow in an open Lowland League clash at Central Park on Saturday.

With both teams creating good chances, a draw was probably the right result in a match which was marred by a bad ankle injury late on to Rose skipper Greg Skinner, which saw the game held up for eight minutes.

With a lot more regulars fit, Cowdenbeath had a more ‘normal’ look to the side, and arguably, after taking the lead with a spectacular finish from super sub Ewan MacPherson, they should have been able to manage the game out.

However, Linlithgow kept at it and equalised soon after when the home defence was caught out.

Cowden were well served by the returning Andy Rodden, ‘keeper Craig Hepburn, skipper Robbie McNab and Ciaren Chalmers in midfield, with dangerous duo Zac Butterworth and Jamie Docherty constant threats to Lithgae.

After a minute's silence as part of Remembrance Day activities featuring local Army cadets, in four minutes Gregor Jordan latched onto an Andy Rodden corner and his header looked to be going in when it hit Josh Jack in the middle of the six yard box and bounced outwards.

As Cowden continued to press, in 17 minutes Jack fired in a fierce eight yard shot which took a deflection off Greg Skinner and the ball rolled inches wide, but two minutes later Rose’s Alan Docherty’s free-kick, from 19 yards, flew just wide with Craig Hepburn beaten.

Then in 22 minutes Butterworth made ground down the right cut inside, and his low cross flew off Skinner, six yards out, and crashed into the side net.

In 25 minutes Lithgae’s Calum Rae made a fine run into the home box and his 10 yard shot brought out a fine save from Hepburn, then seven minutes later it took a goal line clearance by Jordan, from Rae’s shot, to keep the scoreline blank.

A minute after the restart Rose were unlucky not to go ahead when a cross from Docherty was not dealt with by the Cowden defence and Rae’s shot hit the post, then bounced down and Louis Maguire and Jamie Allan were denied by a combination of ‘keeper Hepburn and defenders Robbie McNab and Scott Walker.

However, on the hour Cowden went ahead when Ciaren Chalmers’ through-ball sent sub Ewan MacPHERSON clean through and he cleverly chipped the back over ‘keeper Cammy Binnie and into the from 12 yards.

But seven minutes later Lithgae levelled when a cross into the box bounced perfectly for Alan SNEDDON and his low shot beat Hepburn.

Then within two minutes MacPherson went clean through again and it took a superb diving Binnie save to keep the scores level.

Cowden kept at it and Jamie Docherty and Butterworth went close to grabbing the winner. Then in the closing seconds visiting skipper Greg Skinner went down with an ankle injury and needed hospital treatment, but there were no more goals.

Cowdenbeath: Hepburn; Walker, Rodden, Jordan, McNab, Chalmers, Butterworth, MacDonald (Berry), Jack (MacPherson 57), McLaughlin, Docherty. Subs not used, McDonald, Hill,  Cunningham and Blair(gk).

Linlithgow Rose: Binnie; Webb, Skinner (Riley 86), Paterson, Docherty, McKenzie, Sneddon (McDowell 79), McPherson, Rae, Allan, Maguire. Subs not used, Thom, Shyngle and McMinn (gk).

Referee: Andy Gamble.

Attendance: 324.