Kilwinning Rangers 0, Cowdenbeath 1

SUPER sub Mikey Cunningham came off the bench to score a late goal which saw Cowdenbeath through to the third round of the Scottish Cup.

Calum Elliot’s side shaded the first half at Buffs Park on Saturday, with the home side proving more of a threat in front of goal in the second period.

It was an all-round good display by the Blue Brazil, in a potentially difficult tie against a strong West Premier League team.

The first clear chance of the afternoon came with 16 minutes gone, when Cowden’s Aiden McLaughlin floated a free-kick into the home box, which was headed clear by a Rangers defender under pressure.

Then ten minutes later Josh Jack’s effort was saved by the diving Kilwinning ‘keeper, George O’Connor, at the post, and 60 seconds later the ’keeper denied Ewan MacPherson with another save.

Just after the half hour mark, Adam MacDonald sent a shot high over following a cross from MacPherson, then Kilwinning’s first real chance of the game came a minute from the break when Mark Lamont sent a lob over the bar.

Just as the half drew to a close Jamie Docherty saw a shot blocked by the home defence.

A minute into the second half Docherty sent an effort over the bar, while at the other end a shot from Kilwinning’s Neil McGregor was deflected for a corner by Scott Walker.

The busy start to the second half continued as Kieran Wood sent a shot over the bar, and Dylan Mackin fired a drive past the post.

Blair MacIntyre was next to have a go for the home side, with a shot high and wide as a bright period in the game continued for the home side.

In 69 minutes Cunningham, who had replaced Jack, saw an effort blocked by O’Connor, before the ‘keeper stopped the follow-up from Docherty.

Kilwinning then went close with a couple of headers from Wood and Graham Boyd, while MacPherson headed just wide from a corner.

Both Jordan Stuart and McLaughlin came close for their respective sides, before CUNNINGHAM picked up a short pass-back to coolly slot the ball home despite O’Connor getting a touch on the ball.

Kilwinning had a late flurry to salvage the game with Hepburn saving from Gavin Millar, and twice from McGregor, in the closing stages of the game.

KILWINNING RANGERS: O’Connor; Wood, McGregor, Lamont, Stuart (McMahon 84), Mackin (Lewis 74), Millar, Boyd, McLuckie, Semple (McCalman 89), MacIntyre, Subs not used – Gordon, Caldwell and Duncan.

COWDENBEATH: Hepburn; Butterworth, Walker, Jordan, McNab, Chalmers, Jack (Cunningham 64), MacDonald, MacPherson, McLaughlin, Docherty (Berry 88). Subs not used – Blair, Garcia, D Duncan and Smith.

REFEREE: Gary Hanvidge.