Kelty Hearts 2 Alloa Athletic 1

ROSS CUNNINGHAM scored a brace as Kelty Hearts enjoyed a first-ever victory over Alloa Athletic this afternoon.

The former Clyde striker's first half penalty, and fine finish just after the hour, put Michael Tidser's team in control at New Central Park.

Although Cameron O'Donnell, with a superb free-kick, pulled one back for the Wasps in stoppage time, the hosts picked up their second win from three League One games, as Brian Rice's team fell to their second in as many.

It was a deserved win for Kelty, and the ideal response to their defeat last week, in a game where they had the majority of the chances, but it was another disappointing day for Alloa, who have been beaten for a second successive match.

Tidser said: "The conditions are a bit tough here. I thought, first half, we were patient in our play. They sat off us a bit, so it had to be slow build-up at times then that quick pass to get in behind.

"We were good in the first half without creating anything but then we get the penalty - which I thought was one, to be fair, and Rossco sticks it away.

"Second half, I knew it would be a different game with the wind and our second goal is really good play. Lovely cutback from Moorey and a great finish from Rossco again.

"We're disappointed to lose the goal at the end. Someitmes you have to just hold your hands up, the boy puts it right in the stanchion.

"That's probably my only gripe; silly fouls in the final third for them.

"Other than that, I'm really pleased for the lads. I asked them for a reaction after last week and I thought they showed that."

Wasps gaffer Rice commented: "Every time you get beat is disappointing.

"I don't think we deserved to lose the game. I think we had three brilliant chances.

"Quinn Coulson had a chance early on, Luke Donnelly's right through with the goalie at the beginning of the second half, Bradley Rodden's missed a header, and Kelty scored a really good goal. The other goal's a really poor, poor decision from one of my defenders.

"The two goals today were self-inflicted and that's what cost us the victory."

Home player / boss Tidser made two changes to his starting line-up from last weekend's defeat at home to Hamilton Academical.

Jamie Walker, who hadn't featured since their Viaplay Cup opener with Greenock Morton last month due to injury, returned in defence, whilst forward, Ross Cunningham, was promoted from the bench, as Tiwi Daramola and Billy Owens dropped to it.

Brian Rice, meanwhile, rang the changes for the Wasps following their derby defeat at home to Stirling Albion last time out, making five in total.

David McKay, who was sent off for conceding the penalty that Dale Carrick tucked away to seal the win for the Binos, was suspended, whilst David Devine, Cameron O'Donnell, Bradley Rodden and Conor Sammon all dropped to the bench.

Euan Deveney, Luke Donnelly, Quinn Coulson, Scott Taggart and Josh Debayo all came in for a Wasps side who, like their opponents, had won one and lost one of their opening two league games.

It took the contest a while to spark into life, although a slack Kyle Gourlay pass out from his goal almost gave Quinn Coulson an opportunity for Alloa, whilst Adam Corbett headed a Cunningham cross over at the other end, early on.

It was the hosts, though, who had the best opportunities during the opening period.

Stefan McCluskey sent a first time effort over from Jamie Walker's cross, before Morrison made a big save to keep the scores level just after the half hour.

Neill failed to deal with a ball on Kelty's right side and it was seized upon by Craig Johnston, who drove into the box, only for the Wasps number one to make a good block.

Seven minutes before the break, though, the breakthrough came for the home side from the spot.

At the right-edge of the area, Johnston was felled by Neill and, despite the defender's protests, which led to a booking, Cunningham stepped up to score, despite Morrison guessing correctly by diving to his left.

It was the former Clyde man's third competitive goal for Kelty, and his first in the league, and it drove his team on before the half-time whistle.

Morrison had to be sharp off his line to smother and prevent Johnston latching on to a long ball, whilst the home number nine, under pressure from Wasps defenders, was unfortunate to scoop over from Corbett's low cross.

Soon after the restart, though, Alloa had their best moment of the game to that point.

It came from a mistake in the home ranks which allowed Luke Donnelly to run in behind the defence - despite Kelty appeals for offside - but Gourlay made an excellent block to keep his side ahead.

At the other end, Alloa survived a big appeal for another penalty when Reece Lyon's header was blocked by Euan Deveney, which the home side thought was by his hand, but referee, Duncan Williams, didn't agree.

The visitors still looked for a way back in - Coulson and Josh Debayo had efforts - but it was Kelty who struck again just after the hour mark.

It was a lovely goal, too, with Lewis Moore the creator.

The former Heart of Midlothian and Queen's Park man did well on the left to create space before pulling back for Cunningham who, from just inside the box, struck a first time shot as sweetly as you like to beat Morrison and put the home side two goals to the good.

From then on, Kelty never looked like relinquishing their advantage, although substitute Rodden should have done better than head wide, unmarked, from fellow replacement O'Donnell's cross late on.

Stefan Scougall was unfortunate to send a speculative effort onto the roof of the net as the Wasps kept going, and they pulled one back in stoppage time when O'Donnell scored a sensational free-kick from around 20-25 yards.

Although Kevin Cawley headed over thereafter, it wasn't enough for the Wasps as they slumped to a second defeat in three league games, as Kelty earned their second in three.

Match stats

Kelty Hearts: Gourlay, Corbett, Walker, O'Ware, Thomson, Lyon, Johnston (Biabi 80), Cunningham (O'Donnell 80), McCluskey (Daramola 77), Tidser, Moore.

Subs not used: Owens, Owens, Cameron, Campbell.

Goal: Cunningham (38, pen, 61).

Booked: Lyon (26), O'Ware (56).

Alloa Athletic: Morrison, Deveney (O'Donnell 60), Donnelly (Rodden 77), Hetherington, Scougall, Coulson (Sammon 60), Taggart, Neill (Graham 41), Roberts, Debayo.

Subs not used: Ogayi, Buchanan, Cannon, Rankine, Devine.

Goal: O'Donnell (90).

Booked: Neill (39), Debayo (42), Deveney (58), Graham (64), Roberts (70), O'Donnell (88).

Referee: Duncan Williams.

Attendance: 370.