Kelty Hearts 1 Montrose 3

TWO goals in the final minute snatched victory for Montrose as Kelty Hearts suffered last-gasp disappointment this afternoon.

Jamie Barjonas' strike early in the second half cancelled out Rory McAllister second minute opener, and looked to have earned John Potter's side at least a point.

In a game that they were left to rue several missed chances, particularly from in-form Alfredo Agyeman, a dramatic conclusion saw substitute Graham Webster finish at the far post from Liam Callaghan's cross to put the away side ahead.

Then, in stoppage time, Stewart Petrie's side sealed the points thanks to a fine individual effort from another sub, Craig Johnston.

It was a harsh defeat on Kelty, just their second at New Central Park in the league, who are eighth in the table, nine points clear of second bottom Clyde.

Post-match, Petrie joked that he would be putting on a lottery ticket after "stealing" all three points from his former Dunfermline team-mate's outfit, with Potter saying afterwards that he didn't think his team deserved to lose.

It was hard to argue, but it was a harsh lesson for the hosts in taking their chances when they come along.

Home boss Potter made two changes to his starting line-up from the team that lined up against Alloa Athletic.

Defender, Tam O'Ware, and captain, Michael Tidser, were forced off through injury in the draw with the Wasps and missed out, with Lewis Martin and Cammy Logan coming into the side in their place.

Stewart Petrie's visitors arrived at New Central Park having lost 4-0 at Airdrieonians in their last away match, but defeated Peterhead 3-0 last weekend, the same scoreline by which they got the better of Kelty in the teams' first meeting of the season in August.

And they made the perfect start in attempting to record a second three points against the 'Maroon Machine' by taking the lead with just two minutes in.

From the kick off, the Gable Endies had moved into home territory and, from the left-hand side, Michael Gardyne supplied the cross that McAllister, who has consistently scored goals at this level throughout his career, got on the end of to steer home a fine close-range finish.

It was the perfect start for the visitors, but Kelty could - and perhaps should - have been level inside the opening quarter of an hour, with Agyeman having two great chances in a matter of moments.

Captain for the day, Kallum Higginbotham, started the move for the first, keeping the ball well before clipping it across the box to find the run of Reis Peggie.

The full back delivered a perfect cross to meet the head of Agyeman, who had netted four goals in as many matches prior to this one, but he sent the ball wide of goal.

It was a chance the in-form forward might feel he should have taken, but he was unfortunate with his next attempt.

Joe Cardle this time carried out the set-up working, moving across the box before playing it into Agyeman's feet.

After turning and moving away from Aidan Quinn, he sent a shot from the edge of the six-yard box towards the far post, but goalkeeper, Ross Sinclair, did well to block with his feet.

Darren Jamieson in the home goal was required to beat away a fierce McAllister drive from a free-kick at the other end, before Cammy Logan lashed over for Kelty after Barjonas had an effort blocked by the visitors' defence.

Towards the end of the half, Jordon Forster flicked a Cardle free-kick wide, and Agyeman, after being released inside the box by Barjonas, placed an effort towards the bottom corner that Sinclair pushed around the post, but the offside flag was raised against Cardle, who was lurking.

Kelty, though, did find themselves level just six minutes after the restart.

Barjonas, from outside the penalty area, sent a fine, right-footed shot that evaded Sinclair at his left-hand side as the midfielder celebrated his fourth goal of the season.

He almost had an assist to his name shortly afterwards too, as he showed great feet and vision to release Agyeman on the left, whose effort was pushed around the post by Sinclair.

The visiting keeper was also on hand to deny Cardle, hunting the 100th goal of his senior career, after the winger connected with a low ball in from the left, before Agyeman, on the follow-up, was blocked out.

The forward was denied again by Sinclair, who parried well after Agyeman turned inside his man and got his effort away, while Webster had a decent strike saved smartly by Jamieson.

However, just as the points looked set to be shared, Montrose snatched all three in the final minute.

Two substitutes combined, with Liam Callaghan's cross to the far post met well by Webster, who steered a fine finish beyond Jamieson to put the visitors ahead.

Then, moments later and into stoppage time, another substitute, Johnston, sealed it with a fine run into the penalty area before sending a clinical finish into the net via the far post, condemning Kelty to a second home league defeat of the season.

Match stats

Kelty Hearts: Jamieson, Thomson, Forster, Martin, Peggie, Logan, Barjonas, Cardle (McNab 76), Higginbotham (Doherty 81), Lyon, Agyeman.

Subs not used: McGill, Cameron, Kamgna Jnr, Campbell.

Goal: Barjonas (51).

Montrose: Sinclair, Allan, Steeves, Quinn, Waddell, Whatley (Wright 72), MacKinnon (Webster 55), Ballantyne, McAllister (Callaghan 72), Brown (Johnston 55), Gardyne (Masson 79).

Subs not used: Lyons, Lennox.

Goals: McAllister (2), Webster (90), Johnston (90).

Booked: Gardyne (52), Waddell (71), Masson (85).

Referee: Iain Snedden.

Attendance: 582.