Kelty Hearts 1 Airdrieonians 0

ALFREDO AGYEMAN was the hero for Kelty Hearts as they picked up their second league win of the season against Airdrieonians.

The substitute's winner five minutes from time - his first league goal of the season - edged the game in favour of John Potter's side to record a fine success over their high-flying opponents.

The victory, Kelty's second in a row at home after a win over Falkirk, moves them onto seven points and level with eighth-placed Clyde.

In a first half which saw the visitors start the better, but Kelty end it with more of the play, the home side came closest to a goal.

Nathan Austin struck the base of the upright with a fine lobbed shot, immediately after which Jason Thomson headed into the net, only for the goal to be disallowed for a foul.

Kelty in particular had chances in the second half, and a strong appeal for a penalty after Austin had been clattered by keeper, Alex Henderson, turned down, before Agyeman slotted home a superb winner with five minutes to go.

The result moves Kelty on to seven points and, although they remain ninth, they have moved level with Clyde, one place above them, and two clear of bottom side Peterhead, who came back from two down to draw at Dunfermline.

Home boss Potter made one change to the side that won in the SPFL Trust Trophy at Annan Athletic last Friday, with Joe Cardle starting in place of Kallum Higginbotham, who missed out with injury sustained in that game.

Nicky Low made his home debut, having played against both Peterhead and Annan in Kelty's previous two outings, whilst Austin made only his second League One start of the campaign.

For the visitors, player/boss McCabe was one of four former Dunfermline players to start, alongside Callum Fordyce, Callum Smith and Gabby McGill.

With the teams sitting second bottom and second top of the division respectively ahead of kick off, there was plenty of incentive to go on the offensive, and the Diamonds looked the more likely in the early stages.

Lewis Jamieson had the contest's first effort, a curler that Darren Jamieson in the home goal held on to comfortably, whilst Jordon Forster was required to clear from Fordyce shortly afterwards.

Airdrie player/boss McCabe was next to have a go, sending a 20-yard free-kick up and over the wall and into the arms of Jamieson, while Euan Deveney sent a fierce drive from the left-edge of the area over the bar.

The hosts, though, gradually began to enjoy more of the ball and, in the 25th minute, had their first effort when Low sent a shot from range over the top.

Play was soon back at the other end, with Fordyce firing wide after Adam Frizzell showed good feet to keep the ball and find his team-mate inside the box, but soon Kelty had three great opportunities to take the lead.

Jamie Barjonas played a one-two with Austin before slipping the ball through for Cardle to run on to but, as the winger tried to take it round goalkeeper Alex Henderson, the Airdrie stopper got there first to block.

Moments later, Austin came agonisingly close when he lifted a delicate lob over the keeper, but could only watch as it hit the base of the far post, just as it looked as though it was going to nestle in the corner of the net.

Airdrie cleared it out for a corner and, from the resultant delivery, Thomson headed into the net at the far post, but referee Steven Kirkland chalked it off for what was deemed to be pushing.

That led to both Dougie Hill and Cardle picking up bookings for their protests, but it at least provided the home team with greater encouragement heading into the half-time break.

Shortly after the interval, there were chances at both ends.

Charlie Telfer, with a shot that took a deflection, forced Jamieson into a save, whilst Low, after Austin touched a Cardle cross into his path, had a shot that took a nick off an Airdrie man on its way behind.

Cardle was next to have a go for Kelty, driving into space at the edge of the box before dragging his effort well wide, before Potter introduced Scott McGill - who spent last season on loan at Airdrie from Heart of Midlothian - and Tam O'Ware for Darren Lyon and veteran Dougie Hill.

Moments later, Kelty had a big shout for a penalty turned down in what was a let off for Henderson.

The Airdrie keeper saw his clearance blocked under pressure from Austin who, whilst going up to challenge for the loose ball, was clattered by his opponent.

It looked a strong case for a spot-kick, but a corner was awarded by referee Steven Kirkland, from which O'Ware headed just off-target.

Potter was subsequently shown a yellow card - presumably for protesting the lack of a penalty award - but he was almost celebrating his team scoring in the 75th minute.

McGill received the ball at the edge of the box and sent a shot towards goal, which Henderson got two hands behind, only to spill.

Austin was on to it in a flash, putting the keeper and his defence under all sorts of pressure, but the Diamonds survived.

In the latter stages, Jamieson shot wide after a neat turn outside the box, but it was Kelty who would make the vital breakthrough.

After latching on to a ball down the right, Agyeman - brought on for Cardle four minutes earlier - utilised his pace to run clear and, with Henderson advancing, take the ball round the keeper before slipping the ball into the net.

Barjonas came close to adding gloss to the scoreline in stoppage time, sending a shot wide via a deflection, but they had done enough to seal a second League One win of the season.

Match stats

Kelty Hearts: Jamieson, Thomson, Forster, Hill (O'Ware 66) Martin, Cardle (Agyeman 81), Barjonas, Tidser, Lyon (McGill 66), Low, Austin.

Subs not used: Logan, Peggie, McNab, Cameron, Doherty, Campbell.

Goal: Agyeman (85).

Booked: Hill (36), Cardle (37), Tidser (49).

Airdrieonians: Henderson, Ballantyne, Deveney, McCabe, Fordyce, Taylor-Sinclair, Jamieson, Frizzell, Telfer, Smith, McGill (Gallagher 61)

Subs not used: Watson, J. Devenny, McMaster, Hutton.

Referee: Steven Kirkland.

Attendance: 574.