Stenhousemuir 0 Cowdenbeath 2

AT last an away win for Cowdenbeath and a convincing one with Maurice Ross' men dominating possession and creating some good chances.

At Ochilview on Saturday the Blue Brazil, still short of front players, played some good football and had Stenny on the backfoot for most of the game.

It's the first win on the road for the team at the bottom of League Two and the gap to the teams immediately above them, Albion Rovers and Elgin City, is now nine points.

It's still a tall order to get out of trouble and avoid the trapdoor play-off but Cowden at least gave their fans hope of a revival with a decent display against the promotion chasing Warriors.

With Kane O’Connor having been released, a new central defensive shape was created with Jacob Glass joining new signing Sam Denham, from St Johnstone, and Jamie Todd.

They formed a solid unit and helped goalkeeper Cammy Gill, returning to the team after Covid isolation, to shut out the home team.

The midfield, with Kyle Miller back in the starting line-up alongside Gavin Morrison, Quinn Coulson, Craig Thomson and Fraser Mullen, saw the Blues dominate.

Coulson was a real problem for Stenhousemuir, with his clever close control creating many chances while Robbie Buchanan and Bobby Barr played their part in a very encouraging performance.

Cowden opened the game well and in 10 minutes Glass saw his fierce left foot shot blocked.

There was a scare at the other end when Jordan Tapping saw a header from about 10 yards just creep wide.

The Blues were playing with confidence and Morrison saw his right foot shot saved, then Bobby Barr found space on the edge of the box and his low drive whistled just wide.

Tapping then almost put through his own goal with a clearance which was stopped on the line!

Stenny regrouped and on the half hour Adam Brown’s shot flew over the bar, then the same player let fly from 20 yards but his effort was well blocked by Todd.

Ten minutes from the break Stenhousemuir forced a corner and from the set piece Michael Miller sent his header just over.

The Warriors finished the half brightly with Thomas Orr finding space but his parting shot was off target.

Cowdenbeath grabbed the lead three minutes into the second half when Coulson made a good run and his pass found Robbie BUCHANAN in front of goal.

From eight yards out his right footed shot gave Ryan Marshall no chance.

Stenny fought back and forced two corners within a minute but Cowden managed to hold firm.

Then in 56 minutes the home side had a chance when Darren Christie created the opening for himself but Glass blocked his shot at the expense of a corner.

And two minutes later Cowden doubled up with the key second goal.

Buchanan created the space for BARR and his fierce shot flew into the right hand corner of the net.

Stenhousemuir went close when Miller tried his luck from the edge of the box but Gill was alert to the danger and saved well.

They threatened again five minutes later when a Miller header crept wide but within seconds at the other end Coulson found room for a snapshot that went just wide.

Orr then sent in a shot from only eight yards out but Denham deflected the effort past the post.

Coulson was proving a real problem for Stenny and firstly his 10 yarder was blocked by Tapping and then a drive from further out roared just wide.

Cowden managed the remainder of the game well and ran out convincing winners.

Stenhousemuir: Marshall, Crighton, R Lyon, Jamieson (Coll 49), Tapping, Wedderburn (J Lyon 76), Miller, Brown (Morleand 76), Orr (Graham 87), Christie, Forbes (Tierney 76).

Subs not used: Hughes, A Lyon, Anderson, Wilson.

Cowdenbeath: Cammy Gill (7); Craig Thomson (7), Fraser Mullen (7), Jamie Todd (7), Sam Denham (7), Jacob Glass (7), Kyle Miller (7), Gavin Morrison (7), Robbie Buchanan (7), Bobby Barr (7) (Liam Buchanan 84), Quinn Coulson (8) (Harvey Swann 90).

Subs not used: Ross Clarke, Kyle Hutton, Ross Pollock and Dave McGurn.

Referee: Mike Roncone (6).

Attendance: 344