Edinburgh City 1 Cowdenbeath 1

Cinch League 2

A MUCH improved Cowdenbeath performance gave them a deserved point at Ainslie Park on Friday night.

After taking only a draw from their previous six games, the Blue Brazil made life really tough for the promotion chasers and in the second period especially, the visitors dominated.

City had only one serious effort at goal after the break while Cowden had 10, but it still took a late goal from Kris Renton to secure a point.

Like in other recent games, their finishing was a little wayward but Edinburgh goalkeeper Brian Schwake played his part in defying the Blues with a series of fine saves.

Gary Bollan's team saw former Brentford defender, Kane O’Connor, make his debut and the big centre back was impressive.

The 20-year-old teamed up with Craig Barr to keep a grip on an Edinburgh attack that had seen the capital club climb the table with a run of victories, and allied to the work of full-backs Fraser Mullen and Craig Thomson, their combined efforts played a big part in a positive result.

Kyle Miller returned to action, partnering Kyle Hutton in the centre of the midfield, and their good work saw some early raids for Cowdenbeath.

In four minutes Harvey Swann moved into the City box and his left foot drive went inches wide.

But Edinburgh’s first serious raid, in eight minutes, saw them take the lead. When Ousman See sent over a well flighted cross Danny HANDLING got free in the Cowden six yard box to power home a header.

The Blues responded with a Renton header that crept wide and he came lose again moments later as the big striker posed problems for the Edinburgh rearguard.

See brought out a good save from Cammy Gill with a low drive and James Hilton saw his effort whistle past the post, but before the interval Swann forced Schwake into a fine save.

Cowdenbeath started the second half in positive fashion and in 50 minutes Renton’s header slipped wide, then three minutes later Schwake made a superb stop from Liam Buchanan’s strike.

In a rare City break John Robertson fired a shot over the bar but the action soon swung the other way with Buchanan again getting free in the Edinburgh box and his fine effort brought out a super save.

Hutton was the next Cowdenbeath player to have a go but his 20 yard thump was just too high, then Swann had a dig but Schwake again rescued City.

The leveller had to come and seven minutes from time Robbie Buchanan created the opening with some good work inside the City box and his pass was perfect for RENTON to fire home from six yards.

Cowden went for the winner and Hutton’s drive was blocked then Miller’s header went inches wide as the Blues finished strongly.

With a performance so much better than the previous week at Stirling, Cowden gave the good travelling support hope for the future.

Edinburgh City: Schwake (9); McKay (6), Reekie (7), Kane (7), Bronsky (7), Tapping (6), Murray (6), Handling (6), See (7), Robertson (6) (Shanley 82 (2)), Hilton (6) (Ferguson 62 (3)). Subs not used, Jarron, Berry, McFarlane and Quate (gk).

Cowdenbeath: Cammy Gill (7); Fraser Mullen (7), Craig Thomson (7), Kane O’Connor (8), Craig Barr (8), Kyle Miller (7), Robbie Buchanan (7), Kyle Hutton (7), Kris Renton (8), Liam Buchanan (7), Harvey Swann (7) (Quinn Coulson 82 (2)). Subs not used, Ross Clarke, Jamie Todd, Ross Pollock, Gavin Morrison, Luke Mahady, Bobby Barr, James Collins and Dave McGurn.

Referee: David Dickenson (7).

Attendance 314.