Stenhousemuir 2, Cowdenbeath 2.

Ladbrokes League 2


A FIRST away point of 2020 for Cowdenbeath but missing a penalty proved costly for them, at Ochilview, on Saturday.

Fraser Mullen, who has been very reliable from the spot this season, was the sinner after Kris Renton had been fouled in the box but Stenny ‘keeper Graeme Smith made a good save.

If that had been converted the Blues would have been 3-1 up at the break and it would have given them something of a cushion as the wind was mainly against them in the second 45.

The Cowdenbeath team showed a lot of changes from the loss at Hampden with Jamie Todd and Graham Taylor and Renton back in the starting line-up.

It was a hard day for the goalkeepers and defenders with the win really zipping strongly around the park and Josh Rae had a sound game in goal for the Blue Brazil, in the circumstances.

Todd was rock solid for the visitors as was Chris Hamilton and Craig Barr, while Gavin Morrison worked very hard in the middle of the park.

The three pronged Cowdenbeath attack of David Cox, Kris Renton and Jordan Allan were very dangerous in the first period but they saw less of the ball after the interval but still carried danger.

Stenny, with a number of new signings in their side, started brightly and took the lead in just seven minutes.

A neat pass from Jon Tiffoney was perfect for former Blue Brazilian Greig SPENCE and his low left foot shot beat Rae.

Cowdenbeath were soon going forward and in 22 minutes Taylor’s shot zipped just wide and then four minutes later Robbie Buchanan’s low shot was well saved by Smith.

Buchanan had another shot which was blocked but Cowden got level in 28 minutes.

Mullen’s corner caused real trouble for Stenny and the ball was gathered by ALLAN and his right foot shot flew into the bottom corner.

Four minutes later Cowden were ahead and Allan was this time the provider and TAYLOR clipped the ball into the net from close in.

Then a minute from the break Renton was fouled by Tiffoney in the box but Mullen’s spot kick was saved by the diving ‘keeper Smith.

Cowden realised they were going have to work very hard in the second-half but they got off to a bad start and found themselves level in the 57th minute.

Gary Harkins’ cross set up David HOPKIRK and he fired home a first time shot.

The wind was getting fiercer and both teams were struggling to create many clear openings with Cowden finding it hard to put together raids.

As the game went into the closing ten minutes Stenny sensed they could perhaps win it and Harkins’ shot from 20 yards was blocked by Hamilton.

Then Cowden forced a corner at the other end which gave them an opportunity to pose problems for the hosts but the ball was cleared.

As the game went into the dying seconds Cowden had to ensure they made no mistakes to ensure they got that valuable point.

Stenhousemuir: Smith (7); Tiffoney (7), Burns (6); Armstrong (7), Wilson (7), Moore (7); Spence (7), Harkins (7), Biabi (6) Watters 74 (3)), McLaughlin (7), Hopkirk (7). Subs not used, McBrearty, Halleron, McGuigan, Massouhanu, McBride and Marley.

Cowdenbeath: Josh Rae (7); Fraser Mullen (7), Chris Hamilton (8); Jamie Todd (7), Craig Barr (7), Robbie Buchanan (7); David Cox (7), Gavin Morrison (7), Jordan Alan (7), Kris Renton (7), Graham Taylor (7). Subs not used, Euan Valentine, Jamie Pyper, Archie Thomas, Harvey Swann, Ryan Connelly, Ross Pollock and Mac Whyte.

Referee-David Dickinson (7).