SATURDAY’S football programme saw success for Kelty Hearts, Dundonald Bluebell and Crossgates Primrose Hill of Beath Hawthorn had to settle for a draw.

On the junior scene the Bathgate Thistle v Lochore Welfare Super League game was postponed due to the heavy overnight rain and Lochgelly Albert drew their match.

Kelty Hearts 4,

Caledonia Braves 1.

A FINE result for Hearts in a Lowland League game which produced Nathan Austin’s eight hat-trick of the season.

The result kept their six point advantage in the table over Bonnyrigg Rose who also won and have two games in hand.

The game saw the former Edusport Academy open solidly but Austin (pictured on Saturday by Jim Payne) was quickly in the action and a couple of his shots had the ‘keeper make good saves.

Next to have a go for Kelty was Matty Flynn who saw his fierce effort brilliantly saved.

However, the breakthrough came in the 26th minute when Austin was given a bit of space to unleash and unsaveable drive from good range.

But Braves showed danger and Ben Mackenzie made a great save just before the break.

The second period saw Hearts take a real grip of the game and there were several chances before Austin latched on to a Cammy Russell cross and fired home a header in the 64th minute.

Braves were toiling now and they got number three ten minutes later Dylan Easton’s shot took a deflection to beat the ‘keeper.

A fourth came soon after when Austin grabbed his hat-trick when he latched onto a through ball and cleverly chipped the ‘keeper.

Braves kept working and were rewarded six minutes from time with a goal but it was purely a consolation.

Newtongrange Star 1,

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 1.

HAWS missed the chance to further close the gap on East of Scotland Premier League leaders Boness.

With United out of action due to an unplayable pitch, Hill of Beath started well at the Nitten and went ahead when Ricky Patrick’s pass gave Lyle Kellichan the opportunity to beat a defender and send over a grand cross which Calum Adamson met at the far post to beat the ‘keeper.

Star did not pose the visitors too many problems but Haws should have been at least two ahead of the break but twice Adamson was denied by brilliant saves from the Nitten ‘keeper.

Hill of Beath’s midfield dynamo Lee Reid had to go off with a serious injury and it upset the visitors' flow and Newtongrange started to pose problems.

The leveller came in 70 minutes when a Star front man cut in and fired a fine shot past Stuart Hall.

In the closing moments Haws did have a chance to win it when Joe Kirby cut in only to see the ‘keeper pull off a great save.

The result leaves Haws 10 points behind Boness with three games in hand.

Haws boss John Mitchell was disappointed with his team’s second-half performance: “We were a bit unlucky not to be at least two ahead at half-time, but after the break we certainly lost our grip of the game.

“However, we still had chances to win it and overall it was a good performance without producing the three points, which is a little frustrating.

“But we have to look to get back on the winning trail this weekend when Whitehill come to Keirs Park.”

Dunbar United 3,

Dundonald Bluebell 4.

ANOTHER fine win for the ‘Bell, in this East of Scotland Premier League game, that was switched from Moorside to East Lothian with the Dundonald pitch waterlogged.

However, they had had to work very hard to overcome the game home side.

Indeed, Dunbar took the lead in only three minutes, when some poor work at the back by ‘Bell was punished, but it was not long before the they were moving forward and they they were level when Calum Strang was pulled down in the box and Stuart Cargill converted the spot kick.

There were more chances for the Bluebell but Dunbar were able to deny them and at the break it was 1-1.

Bluebell started the second period well and they went ahead in 50 minutes when a good move saw Strang supply Cargill who finished superbly with a cute lob.

Within four minutes they were 3-1 to the good when Strang fired a shot wide of the ‘keeper from close in after the last line had spilled a shot, but Dunbar pulled one back on the 75th minute with an 18 yard drive.

It was a really good game and chances were being created by both sides and with 12 minutes to go Bluebell got number four with Chris Gay firing home after good work by Cargill.

The Dundonald defence closed the door on Dunbar but with three minutes left United got another but the visitors held on.

The result has pushed Bluebell up into sixth spot with 27 points and manager Kevin Fotheringham was happy with the way his team went to East Lothian and came back with all three points: “It was sensible to switch the match to Dunbar as Moorside was very wet and although we lost a bad goal very early on we came back strongly and created some excellent chances.

“That is five games undefeated, and three wins in a row, so we are heading in the right direction.

Crossgates Primrose 2,

Jeanfield Swifts 0.

PRIMROSE have had a pretty good season in the East of Scotland Premier League but recently points have been at a premium.

So when mid table Jeanfield arrived at Humbug Park Primrose had to look to get a win.

The home team started well and put Swifts under quite a bit of pressure but they just could not get a goal.

Jeanfield worked really hard in midfield and stayed in the picture but 12 minutes from the break Crossgates went ahead when Mark Wilkie finished well.

Swifts were struggling now and four minutes later defender Sean O’Neill, up with his attack, and he made it two from a set piece.

Jeanfield came out for the second period desperate into the game and Primrose ‘keeper Grant Henderson had to be on the alert to keep the two goal advantage.

That he did with a couple of good blocks and at the other end Scott Lawrie was only baulked by a great save from the United ‘keeper.

Then in 71 minutes a foul in the Primrose box gave Jeanfield a chance to get back into the game but Henderson came to the rescue with a great penalty save.

It inspired the home side to finish the game well and collect three welcome points which has helped their bid to get into a solid mid table position.

Sauchie JFC 0,

Lochgelly Albert 0.

AFTER a series of high scoring South Division games this turned out to be a bit of a damp squib, although the Berts had chances to win it.

The game saw Sauchie, who had taken 14 out of possible 18 points in their last six games, have to defend resolutely as the Berts, without four players through injury, put together a number of good moves.

In 10 minutes Sami Mitchell shot just wide and five minutes later Pat Armour saw the Clacks 'keeper save well.

Next to have a go was Jack Cowan who saw his free-kick bring out a fine save.

Just before the break Cowan's cross was perfect for Lee Kirby but he headed wide while at the other end Shaun Hunter had only one save to make.

The Albert were not quite to incisive in the second period and Cowan threatened by his shot slipped wide, then Stephen Stark's 40 yarder was only inches away from a goal, then with 15 minutes left Ryan Hughes, back after a long lay-off through injury, went clean through but his finish went wide.

Sauchie continued to defend well and the game ended goalless which keeps the home side ahead of the Berts on goal difference.

Albert manager Andy Healy was a little disappointed not to win it: "They have been playing well over the past two months so we knew it would be difficult but again we create so many good chances.

"Their goalkeeper did well but maybe our finishing could have been sharper, but sitting on 30 points with four games left means we can look to win a few of them and finish in the top five."

Saturday’s fixtures, Lowland League, Dalbeattie Star v Kelty Hearts (3pm).

East of Scotland Premier League, Boness United v Dundonald Bluebell (2.30), Hill of Beath Hawthorn v Whitehill Welfare(2.30), Musselburgh Athletic v Crossgates Primrose (2.30).

South Super League, Whitburn v Lochore Welfare (2pm),