Queen’s Park 1, Cowdenbeath 0.

Ladbrokes League 2


YET another blank on the road for Cowdenbeath but they should have taken something from this one.

Late the second period they pounded the Queen’s Park goal but some good defending allied to poor finishing saw them lose their seventh away game.

The Blues went with the same team which beat Brechin City and for the most part it went well.

They had a fair amount of possession and shots on target but they could not get a goal.

Defensively Cowden did well, although they would pose questions how Queen’s got the time and space to get their goal.

In midfield Gavin Morrison had another good performance making some fine passes, and he had several goes at trying to get the team a goal, but at times the Blues fell out of the game which was disappointing.

After a quiet start to the game Queen’s took the lead at the National Stadium in nine minutes.

The dangerous David Galt created the opening but there was no visiting defender picking up debutant Craig SLATER, who fired a low shot past Josh Rae.

Galt had a go himself from outside the box but it flew just wide, but in 16 minutes Cowden had a chance when Fraser Mullen’s corner was headed over by Craig Barr.

Queen’s had a good spell without really troubling Rae but 12 minutes from the break the Spiders’ Jake Davidson got in a shot which was blocked by Jamie Todd.

Two minutes later Cowdenbeath went close when David Cox found space in the Spiders’ box and his low shot brought out a good save from Willie Muir and then with seconds to go to the interval Morrison hit the Queen’s post with a 12 yarder.

Cowden had another chance seconds into the second-half when Jordan Allan’s low shot was held by Muir but within a minute Rae saved well from Davidson.

Just before the hour mark Rae saved again, this time from Nicky Jamieson, then QP’s Stuart Morrison fired a header just wide.

Queen’s were having the better of possession at this stage and Salim Kouider-Aissa saw Rae grab his shot but in the last 20 minutes Cowdenbeath turned up the heat.

Firstly Barr flashed a header wide from a free-kick then with 16 minutes left Mullen fired his drive from 15 yards over.

Kris Renton was back in action by this stage as Cowdenbeath looked for goal and with 11 minutes left Cox’s 12 yarder just went over.

Mullen was piling forward for the Blues and his free-kick went inches over then Morrison saw his his drive blocked by a packed Queen’s defence.

In time added on there was another chance when sub Mikey Herd got space and Muir pulled off a fine save and that was that.

Another bad result for Cowdenbeath away from home although they certainly did plenty of attacking and were probably worth a point .

Queen’s Park: Muir (8); Finnie (6), Doig (7); Jamieson (7), Grant (6), Slater (5) (Purdue 37 (6)); Morrison (6), Davidson (7), Kouider-Aissa (6) (Summers 88 (2)), Galt (7), MacLean (6). Subs not used, Agyman, Main, McGuire, Little and Herraghty.

Cowdenbeath: Josh Rae (7); Fraser Mullen (7), Chris Hamilton (7); Jamie Todd (6) (Euan Valentine 55 (3)), Craig Barr (7), Kyle Miller (6); David Cox (7), Gavin Morrison (7), Jordan Allan (6) (Kris Renton 63)(3)), Archie Thomas (6) (Mikey Herd (2), Robbie Buchanan (6). Subs not used, Jamie Pyper, Harvey Swann, Ryan Connelly and Mac Whyte.

Referee- Duncan Williams (6).