Cowdenbeath 3, Brechin City 2.

Ladbrokes League 2


THE Blue Brazil racked up their ninth home win of the season but they turned what was a first-half stroll into a thriller after the break.

Their different looking defensive line-up was not so solid in the second period but they showed a lot of resolve as a team and got over the line, at Central Park on Saturday.

Cowdenbeath had changes to their line-up with returns for Chris Hamilton and Archie Thomas, joining new signing from Brora Rangers in the starting line-up, Gavin Morrison, as the team started with a 3-5-2 formation and Robbie Buchanan and Fraser Mullen back in wing back roles with Hamilton joining Jamie Todd and Craig Barr in the centre of the rearguard.

In the midfield area Kyle Miller was joined by Thomas and Morrison and all three of them played well in the first 45 minutes, although along with a lot of their team mates, they fell out of things against the elements after the break.

In attack were David Cox and Jordan Allan who were in very lively form in the first period but after the break, they suffered from the team being less prominent going forward.

Cowden, after a great opening 45, got caught in City’s headlights after the break but were able to steady the ship after a torrid first 20 minutes of the half and finished the game strongly and had chances to grab more goals in the closing minutes.

City made a lively start to the game and Lee Duncanson made a good run forward and got into a great position but fired his shot well wide.

However, it was the hosts who took the lead in five minutes when Craig Barr’s cross from a free-kick on the right was met by ALLAN and his glancing header gave Lewis McMinn no chance from 10 yards out.

Then in 11 minutes Morrison hit a fierce 18 yarder which McMinn brilliantly finger tipped past the post.

But at the other end, in 23 minutes, Ollie Hamilton was unlucky when he latched onto a Ryan McCord pass but Hamilton managed to block his effort.

However, in 26 minutes the Blues went two up. McMinn, who had made two great saves, was a sinner when he duffed a clearance straight to THOMAS who coolly slotted the ball home from ten yards out.

City were getting plenty of the ball though and Cowdenbeath had to be on the alert and Todd had to make two good challenges to keep Paul McManus out.

As the interval approached Thomas and Allan both got into dangerous positions and Allan’s curling shot from 16 yards came back off the post.

With the breeze behind them City made a good start to the second period and Duncanson fired a 20 yarder just over.

City were piling forward and in 62 minutes they pulled one back when Paul ALLAN’s 25 yarder flew high over Josh Rae.

Then a minute later, as the Blue Brazil defence started to really struggle, Dougie HILL was unmarked as he headed a cross from the City right into the net from just outside the six yard box.

Then in 73 minutes City threatened again when Andy Jackson latched on another piece of slack defending and his low shot was smothered on the line by Rae.

However, three minutes later the Blues were back ahead. Mullen’s free-kick into the box was met by BARR and his header flew across McMinn and flew into the bottom corner.

Then with four minutes left a McManus header flashed just wide of the Cowden goal.

City were not finished though and in the second last minute Andy Jackson had the ball in the net in the net but he was flagged for off-side.

Cowdenbeath: Josh Rae (7); Fraser Mullen (7), Chris Hamilton (7); Jamie Todd (6), Craig Barr (7), Kyle Miller (6), Gavin Morrison (8), Jordan Allan (7), Archie Thomas (6), Robbie Buchanan (6). Subs not used, Euan Valentine, Jamie Pyper, Michael Herd, Harvey Swann, Ryan Connelly, Kris Renton and Mac Whyte.

Brechin City: McMinn (7); Duncanson (7), McIntosh (6) (Matthew Knox (86 (2)); Allan (7), Hill (7), Page (6); Hamilton (6) (Crawford 60 (3)), McCord (6), McManus (7), Jackson (6), Inglis (6) (Laverty 83 (2)). Subs not used, Reekie, Watt, Brown and Sinclair.

Referee- Chris Fordyce (6).