SATURDAY’S full card saw saw a disappointing result for Kelty Hearts, a great win for Hill of Beath Hawthorn, and a more solid defensive performance from Dundonald Bluebell.

Meanwhile it was a bleak day for junior sides Lochore Welfare and Lochgelly Albert.

Kelty Hearts 2,

East Stirling 2.

HEARTS’ advantage at the top of the Lowland League was reduced by this fight-back by the Shire.

Kelty made a great start to the game and in nine minutes took the lead when Scott Linton’s lob beat the visiting ‘keeper.

The eager visitors forced several corners without really testing Ben Mackenzie and in 26 minutes the home side went two up when the Shire defence conceded a spot-kick at a corner and Linton scored his second of the game.

However, four minutes from the break East Stirling pulled one back from a cute back heel.

The second period saw Hearts create some decent chances but they could not get the better of the East Stirling defence who worked hard.

Then with 20 minutes left the visitors hit the bar and showed that they could cause danger and in 81 minutes a low drive tied it at 2-2.

Still there was time for Nathan Austin to clinch all three points but his shot was blocked by the packed Shire defence.

With Bonnyrigg Rose’s win over BSC Glasgow on Friday night the Hearts are three points clear at the top of the table with a game more played.

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 4,

Crossgates Primrose 1.

THIS derby clash from the teams of the villages which are only a mile apart, saw the home side emerge much the better side (see Jim Payne's pictures from Keirs Park).

The Haws got the best possible start with a goal in the eighth minute when Lyle Kellichan’s corner was headed home by Daniel Watt.

However, Primrose came back and Scott Lawrie’s free-kick was brilliantly saved by Stuart Hall and the visitors kept at the Haws.

The home side had the better of possession and a minute from the interval whistle Daniel Watt was pulled down by the ‘keeper and Lewis Elder scored from the spot.

Three minutes after the break Crossgates were three down when a move involving Lee Reid and Kellichan saw Calum Adamson finish well.

Three minutes from time the fourth came when Elder went through and sent a well placed shot into the net.

Primrose were able to pull one back when Mark Wilkie hit the net in the closing seconds.

The win puts Haws in third top of the East of Scotland Premier League, a point behind second placed Camelon with three games in hand and manager John Mitchell was pleased with the win: “It was a really good all round performance from the lads and it was built on defending well.

“We got an early goal and really started to dominate possession and again the finishing was excellent.

“We now have another interesting derby this coming weekend at Dundonald which will be another real test.”

Sauchie 0,

Dundonald Bluebell 0.

A SHUT-OUT for the ‘Bell was welcome after some poor work at the back has seen them concede a lot of goals in recent games.

However, they couldn’t force the win that could have pushed them up a place in the East of Scotland Premier League.

The opening phase of the game saw neither side really threaten and indeed at the interval neither ‘keeper had been asked to make a difficult save.

The second period saw the teams look more dangerous and ‘Bell ‘keeper James Lennox pulled off a great save to keep his side level.

However, at the other end Calum Smith fired in a good shot which the Sauchie last line saved well.

The match saw the defences really come out on top and the result leaves Bluebell on 21 points from 14 games and in eighth place.

Moorside boss Kevin Fotheringham said: “It was a game where both sides looked a little cagey and there were not a lot of good chances created.

“However, after our recent experiences with some poor goals conceded, it was great to get a shut-out and we will need the same sort of quality of work when we take on the Haws this Saturday.”

Armadale Thistle 6,

Lochore Welfare 1.

INJURIES and unavailabilities saw the Welfare head for Armadale with only nine fit players.

The result was a patched up team which found itself three down inside the first half hour.

Things got worse when Ethan Anderson pulled his hamstring but a goal came for the visitors from Nathan Harley.

The Lochore side started to create a few decent chances but a fourth goal midway through the second-half put Armadale clear.

Amazingly, Lochore assistant boss James Davies, who had played the second period, then pulled his hamstring leaving the team with only ten and two of them were carrying heavy knocks and towards the end and Thistle scored two more.

It leaves the Welfare bottom but with a lot of games in hand and manager James Adam is hoping that he can see an end to the team’s injury nightmare soon: “It really was incredible to have to go into a match so many players short.

“Three of the guys were playing with knocks and then the injuries that occurred during the game were almost unbelievable.

“Hopefully we will have a few players back for this weekend.”

Lochgelly Albert 2,

Newburgh 5.

THE Berts went into this game wanting to close the gap on Newburgh in the South Division but the visitors were very dangerous throughout this match.

Indeed, Burgh took the lead in two minutes, and inside another 120 seconds, the home side were two down as their defensive work let them down.

The Albert tried to get back into the picture and in 20 minutes Stephen Stark’s cross was met by James Gunn and the Burgh ‘keeper made a fine save.

Ryan McGuinness’s shot went close for the home side but they conceded a third from a corner situation.

However, before the break they got a goal back when James Gunn was fouled in the Newburgh box and converted the spot-kick.

Lochgelly pulled another one back in 55 minutes when Liam Mann started the move which saw Stephen Stark send over a fine cross and Gunn netted from 10 yards. Soon after Gunn put Adam Haddow clean through and it took a fine save from the Newburgh ‘keeper to keep his team ahead.

Things were looking much better now for the Berts but in 65 minutes Burgh grabbed the chance to go 4-2 up from a close-in finish.

The Berts kept working at it but conceded a fifth when they were caught on the break.

The result moved the Albert down to sixth in the table and manager Andy Healy was disappointed by the start to the match: “You can’t afford to lose two goals in the first five minutes of any game.

“However, we came back well and were right back in it at 3-2 and the great save from their ‘keeper to deny Adam Haddow proved a turning point for had that gone in we would have had all the momentum.

“The poor start to the match proved very costly.”

Saturday’s fixtures, Lowland League, Edinburgh University v Kelty Hearts (3pm).

East of Scotland Premier League, Dundonald Bluebell v Hill of Beath Hawthorn (2.30), Crossgates Primrose v Sauchie (2pm).

South Super League, Lochore Welfare v Pumphertson (1.45). South Division, Syngenta FC v Lochgelly Albert (2.30).