TWO late goals saw leaders Boness United get the better of Hill of Beath Hawthorn while Crossgates Primrose took a draw from their East of Scotland Premier Division match with Dunbar.

Meanwhile both Lochore Welfare and Lochgelly Albert lost their Thorntons Property East Region Cup while Dundonald Bluebell’s EoS Premier League game was postponed.

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 1,

Boness United 2.

TWO late goals gave East of Scotland Premier League leaders Boness full points at Keirs Park (see Ted Milton's pictures from Keirs Park).

The incessant morning rain made the game going ahead touch and go but by kick-off the referee was happy enough to let it go ahead and in the early stages the Haws had plenty of the ball and were asking questions of the United defence.

However, the visitors were dangerous in the last third of the pitch and the home side couldn’t afford to relax.

In 20 minutes Hill of Beath took the lead when Russell Grierson made a great run down the right and his cross was met by Daniel Watt who finished expertly (see top picture).

Soon after Calum Adamson got into a good position but the United ‘keeper pulled off a brilliant save, however, home ‘keeper Stuart Hall had to do similar to ensure the hosts led at the break.

Boness came more into the game after the re-start and Hall had to make another fine stop and although the good chances for Hill of Beath had started to dry up they looked comfortable going into the last quarter.

Then in the 80th minute United got into the Haws’ box and a decent finish came back off the post and was fired home from close in.

Hill of Beath were up against it now and Boness searched for a winner but they were kept at bay until two minutes from time.

A throw in was quickly switched into the box and the ball somehow crept in at the back post to put the visitors ahead.

However, Haws still tried to get back into and a fine pass set up Lewis Elder only a few yards out but a fine tackled defied the striker and United held on.

Haws boss John Mitchell was happy enough with the way his side played in this one: “For me the team that finishes above Boness come May will win the league for they are a very strong side.

“But we looked really solid for more than 75 minutes but losing the second goal the way it happened was very disappointing.

“Over the 90 minutes I felt we were worth a point but Boness keep coming at you throughout the game and we really needed a second goal after the break.”

Crossgates Primrose 2,

Dunbar United 2.

A LATE goal gave Dunbar United a share of the spoils at Humbug Park and denied Primrose the win they were desperately seeking to improve their position in the East of Scotland Premier League.

The game started well enough for the home side but Dunbar defended well and good chances were rare.

Crossgates had a couple of good chances from Scott Lawrie’s endeavour but the United ‘keeper was in good form.

No goals at the break but Crossgates stepped up their game when the second period started and in 52 minutes the home side took the lead when, in a concerted home rai a Dunbar defender got himself into a fankle and nudged the ball into his own net.

However, within two minutes the visitors were level when the Crossgates' defence was caught out and the home ‘keeper Mooney was beaten.

Primrose got the momentum back and started to create some good chances as the rain continued to fall.

And before the hour James McAteer finished well to restore the Humbug side’s advantage.

They set about searching for the key third but Dunbar kept their cool and in 74 minutes squared the game again.

Crossgates went looking for the winner but it would not come and the point takes them onto 15 four ahead of Dunbar.

Kennoway Star Hearts 3,

Lochore Welfare 2.

THE Welfare came close to getting the result they wanted in this Thorntons Property East Region Cup-tie, despite having nine men out through injury.

They were that short of manpower manager James Adam played the entire match after not having put a strip on for over a year!

Lochore started brightly and created a few decent chances in the early stages of the game.

Kennoway were not causing that much bother and the visiting rearguard were keeping them at bay.

Seven minutes from half-time Lochore grabbed the lead when a good move involving Jamie McNeish ended with Adam Haddow’s deflected shot hitting the net.

The Lochore lads had to protect that advantage to the break but alas four minutes later Kennoway came back to level the match from a corner and it was a bit harsh on Lochore.

The second period saw Star Hearts start to have the better of things and a few good chances came their way and in 50 minutes the hosts took the lead.

There were more problems soon after when McNeish had to go off with a hamstring pull and Lochore were up against it now and the home side carved out a few good openings and with 15 minutes left they went 3-1 in front in a break-away

The Welfare kept battling away and with three minutes left a good header from Kearyn Hicks, from Scott Small’s corner, made it 3-2.

In the closing seconds there were a few close calls for Kennoway but they held on.

James Adam was proud of his side: “When I get a strip on these days you know we are down to the bare bones but the lads kept at it in the first- half and it was rough justice we lost the equaliser with just seconds to go to the break.

“We were pressing when they grabbed the lead and then Jamie pulled his hamstring, but the lads never gave up and were still looking for a goal in the closing minutes.”

Lochgelly Albert 0,

Armadale Thistle 3.

THE Berts were short of several players for this Thorntons Property East Region Cup-tie including ‘keeper Shaun Hunter and with Thistle having put together some good results this was always going to be a tough game for them.

The fixture opened evenly enough but the Super League team were looking confident and created a couple of early chances.

The Berts held on though but in the 20th minute Armadale grabbed the lead.

Lochgelly tried to get back into the game but were unable to create enough good chances.

Armadale were looking for a second and got it six minutes into the second period and it left the Berts an awful lot to do.

The home side kept battling though and had a few chances to get back into it and the killer third goal did not come until the 89th minute.

Saturday’s fixtures, Football Nation Qualifying Cup third round, Kelty Hearts v Gretna 2008 (3pm), Crossgates Primrose v Hill of Beath Hawthorn (1.30pm), Dunbar United v Dundonald Bluebell (1.30pm). South Super League, Fauldhouse United v Lochore Welfare (1.45pm). South Division, Lochgelly Albert v Stoneyburn (1.45pm).