THE Superbowl for the 2 Litre Saloons at the Cowdenbeath Racewall on Saturday night was first class with the action coming near enough as soon as the racing started on Saturday night, writes Racewall scribe Jim Turner.

Ben Murray rolled his car in a crowd of cars on the main straight, Stevie Honeyman on the pit bend, and then Holly Glen after she was collected, again on the pit bend and rolled.

Andrew Mathieson was sent crashing up the wall but somehow survived whilst Honeyman was sent crashing into the wall in his other heat and was left with his car in a sorry state.

Aaron Hastie ended up rolling his 1300 saloon after being squeezed into the wall. There was a close finish in the Classic Hot Rod final when Craig Boyd pipped Kenny Purdie on the run up to the flag.

On Sunday the action continued thick and fast with the saloons again in top form. The numbers were down slightly on the evening before but Stevie Honeyman was back although this time he didn’t last too long.

Martin Bentley got caught with another two cars and rolled his Formula II as a result.

The main race of the night on Saturday night was the 2 Litre Saloon Superbowl and attracted a healthy field of 41 cars. Local drivers were Kyle Irvine (Glenrothes), Raymond Dick (Glenrothes), Ross Watters (Windygates), Euan and Andrew Mathieson (Lochgelly) and Alex Cunningham (Leven).

The field was split into a two thirds format with the points scored determining where the drivers would start in the final.

Murray was an early casualty in heat one with Watters going through to win from Diggy Smith and Jacob Roff. Heat two saw Stevie Honeyman being shunted into the wall losing a wheel in the process. Ryan Santry went through to win from Graeme Shevill and Adam O’Dell with Cunningham tenth. Honeyman had a big rollover in the third heat where World Champion Diggy Smith went on to win from Irvine and Holly Glen.

Smith was on pole position with Santry alongside whilst the first Scottish driver was Ian McLaughlin starting from row 3. When the race started Smith went straight into the lead and with his chasers getting tangled up emerged with a big lead.

However, H. Glen was edged wide and before she could move was collected by the pack and rolled. On the restart D. Smith had Watters on his tail but he was sent wide and into the wall and out of the race. Stuart Shevill Jnr appeared in second whilst McLaughlin had Chris Burgoyne trying to get ahead. Smith began to ease away before going through to win from Shevill Jnr and Deane Mayes.

The first of the Formula II races was the Final of the Pre 67 Grand National final with Steven Burgoyne winning from Gordon Moodie (Windygates) and Chris Burgoyne with Paul Reid (Cowdenbeath) tenth.

The heats were won by Moodie the first from Garry Sime and Liam Rennie with Kieran Howie (Dunfermline) in seventh place whilst the second from C. Burgoyne and Sime. Moodie and C. Burgoyne tangled at the start to the final and retired with Rennie going through to win the James Clarke Cochrane memorial trophy from Sime and Adam Blacklock with Gregor Turner (Dunfermline) eighth.

Moodie then won the Grand National from Sime and Dennis Middler with Turner sixth.

There were 26 1300 Saloon drivers in action and they too were not shy at making contact. Dougie Ford won the opening heat from Fraser Clark, Callum Sturrock (Saline) and Dale Robertson (Glenrothes) in fourth whilst Kyle Hegg (Glenrothes)came out on top in heat two where he led home Clark and Charlie Folan. Clark looked to be on his way to win their Superbowl but lost out to James Ellis (Cowdenbeath), who defended his title, and Ford on the last lap.

There were some close and fast racing in the Classic Hot Rods but local driver Keith Chesher (Dunfermline) had to retire and failed to finish his races.

Kenny Purdie won the Doug Farrer Trophy from Gavin Taber and Graham Boyd with Martin Balfour (Glenrothes) ninth. Craig Boyd won heat two from Alex Wilson and Charlie Schembri with Balfour again ninth. In a close run final where Purdie led for most of the race from Boyd only to be delayed by a back marker on the run up to the line which allowed Boyd through to win the Cock of the North trophy from Purdie and G. Taber with Balfour seventh.

The first saloon race of Sunday afternoon was the Gordon Barclay Memorial Trophy and was the final of the National Series.

There was an early stoppage to the race but Roff led the for a few laps but in the end Matty Stirling moved into the lead but was under pressure from Santry, Mayes made it a three way dice for the lead on the penultimate lap but Stilting went through to win whilst Mayes was sent Santry spinning across the finish line but was still third with Watters and Irvine in close order with Cunningham seventh.

In the heats Watters won the first whilst Cunningham won the second.

Garry Sime won the Formula II Champions of Champions narrowly from Turner with the latter winning heat one from Moodie. Adam Blacklock won heat two with Turner in third, Moodie fifth and P. Reid ninth. S Burgoyne then won the final from Aiden McFerran and Forster with P. Reid ninth. Moodie won the Grand National with P, Reid in third and C. Reid seventh

Gary Paterson (Saline) won the 1300 Young Gunn race from Cameron Milne and Kieran Edgar. Declan Lindsell (Cowdenbeath) led the Cock of the North trophy from start to finish to win from Clark and Robertson. Ford then won heat two from Robertson and then the final from Lindsell and Charlie Folan.

There were 30 Stock Rods in action with cars from HRP and Northern Ireland in action. The racing proved to be close and exciting as the drivers fought their way through big numbers of cars.

Chris Lattka, Ian Low and Kerr Paterson were the heat winners and in an exciting final David Philp Jnr brought his car through to win the final where he started from the back of the grid and worked his way through the field to cross the line ahead of Stewart Paterson (Cowdenbeath) and Siobhan Martin with Michael Bethune (Kirkcaldy) sixth.

This Saturday is the last meeting of the season with the Formula II drivers racing in one of their National Series Rounds and at this stage there are almost 30 drivers booked in to race. The Stock Rods have their National Championship to contest and they are back up with the Prostock Basic, Ministox and Micro F2 drivers in action.

The meeting starts at 5.45 pm when the Micro F2 drivers get the meeting underway, The meeting closes with a firework display so why not come along to watch an exciting stock car meeting an the fireworks.