WOW, what a weekend that was at Lochgelly Raceway!! , writes Raceway reporter Kevin McQueen.

A huge crowd turned out to witness the action unfold and with around 160 cars filling the pit area and lived up to expectations to provide two fantastic days of action, with plenty of crashing, numerous rollovers and lots of superlatives with regards to the weekend.

The Ace Car Disposal National Micro Banger World Cup was the headline attraction on the Saturday night. Two last chance races were run at the beginning of the evening with around 70 cars being split between the two races.

Jake Stewart 141 won the first last chance race which seen only 7 cars finishing the race with them all making it through to the World Cup Race. Last chance race number 2 seen the grid quickly depleted as well as the cars flew into the corners intent on making contact with those around them as they tried to make up the ground to the cars at the front of the race.

The race saw a spectacular rollover from one of the gravedigger cars on turn one, barrel rolling a number of times before grinding to a halt on his roof.

Ultimately it was Andrew Webster that took victory with a great drive to qualify for the main race.

Over 50 cars took to the track for the 2019 Micro Banger World Cup and it was eventful from start to finish with only 8 cars finishing the race. A race restart was called for on two occasions throughout the race after a couple of track blockages. Southern driver Lee Kingsworth took the glory as he claimed the World Cup title.

The Junior Bangers were racing for their Open Scottish Championship on Saturday evening with around 20 cars in action, including Scotland’s Koddi Wright and Rocco Trench, although they were up against a field of cars with a lot more banger experience than themselves. It was Will Wormsley that claimed the Open Scottish Championship as part of a hat trick of race wins for the youngster.

The ProStocks were racing for their 2019 British Championship on Saturday night with over 20 cars in attendance, there was good racing throughout the evening, with a number of visiting drivers from Northern Ireland joining us. 2 reverse grid heats were used to determine the grid for the main race of the night for the formula. It was Dean McGill that claimed first blood as he took the opening race win after coming from almost the rear of the grid after an epic battle up front between Darren Rae, Steven Haugh and William McFaul.

As the three of them traded blows as they battled for the lead, Dean McGill snuck up on them to deliver an elegant blow with the laps running down to claim the win. Heat 2 of the night seen Craig Murray claim victory ahead of Darren Rae and Dougie Kidd. As the grid was formed, Darren Rae had scored the most points during his 2 heats and therefore started on pole position for the British Championship. As the green flag dropped, the cars launched into turn 1, then again into turn 3 as they aimed to force Rae out of contention. Darren Rae survived the opening laps and went onto open up a large lead as he raced on to claim the 2019 British Championship, adding to his Scottish Championship title that he won several weeks ago. Dougie Kidd finished in 2nd place, with Sean Devine rounding out the top three.

The Junior Productions had a bolstered field of cars with around 5 Northern Irish cars joining the grid, resulting in the largest grid that the formula has seen since it was introduced in Scotland.

The 'Non Contact’ formula for the youngsters provided some excellent racing as they battled it out throughout the evening for the LC Engineer Services Open Scottish Championship. Rookie driver, Kyle Rogerson claimed an excellent double heat win to put him on pole position for the main race of the evening, with Jas Walle starting alongside him on the front row after claiming two 2nd positions in the qualifying heats. As the green flag dropped, the rookie drivers were quickly overcome by the pack behind them with the Northern Irish drivers getting to the front quickly, although Amy Devine did a grand job in keeping a Scottish presence at the front of the race. Matthew Nicholl claimed the title ahead of fellow Northern Irish driver Samuel Percy with Devine rounding out the top three after Graham Meek was docked a couple of places for contact during the race.

The Sunday afternoon seen the same four formula in action, though the ever consistent CC Rods joined in on the action to provide some excellent non contact racing throughout the afternoon.

The Bangers were racing for their Open Scottish – being defended by the new World Cup Champion Lee Kingsworth. The Open Scottish Championship seen around 50 cars take to the track with the drivers seemingly intent on destroying the cars on day two!

Craig Royal led the way in the opening stages of the race but was soon passed by Northern Irish driver William McFaul who went onto take the win ahead of Craig Royal and local driver Gary Mentiplay – only 9 cars completed the distance. A further two races for all cars seen numbers drop as the meeting went on, however almost 30 cars made it out on track for the final race of the afternoon for the full contact formula. Stephen Boyd won the demolition derby, after rolling his car earlier in the day!

The ProStocks were racing for the Christopher Burke Memorial, sponsored by Salvage Services. The opening races seen Dougie Kidd pick up two race wins ahead of the new British Champion Darren Rae. Dean McGill was in the thick of the action in the heats, having an excellent battle with John Jackson in the first heat with a number of attempts to take Jackson out of the race, whilst in the second heat, a big hit on Lee Smart seen Smart’s car damaged beyond repair. The meeting final seen McGill get racey though, as he went out to claim the win on a damp greasy track, with Darren Rae 2nd and Craig Murray 3rd.

The Junior Productions were racing for the Fife Championship, sponsored by Diamond Self Storage – with Sam McNeice taking the title over the Irish Sea. Jase Walle and Kyle Rogerson won the 2 qualifying heats as they both continued the excellent form from the Saturday night.

The CC Rods were racing for the Bill and Ciaran Hawkes memorial and it was a meeting dominated by the lower graded drivers. Pete Honeyman returned to racing and took the opening race win ahead of Paul Winfield and Andrew Nelson. Heat 2 went the way of Paul Winfield, with Honeyman and Nelson completing the top three. The meeting final seen the grid formed based on points scored in the 2 qualifying heats. Honeyman got away first and opened up a good lead, with Winfield and Nelson dropping back the field slightly. Gary Nicholls managed to catch the Honeyman car but was unable to find a way passed, before Lee Wotherspoon joined in the battle for the lead. Nicholls tried the outside line to try and take the lead but ultimately lost out on 2nd place as well with Wotherspoon taking the position on the final lap with Nicholls finishing in third position.

We are back in action this Saturday night with a 6pm start. The 2.0 Hot Rods will be competing for their Scottish Championship, whilst the Ninja Karts, Superstox, Ministox and Stock Rods are all in action too.