IT was a good cup day for the local clubs with all three going through to the next stages of the competitions they were involved in.

In the only league game played Lochgelly Albert lost a goal packed game at Stoneyburn, while the Lochore Welfare came was called off late by the referee.

Civil Service Strollers 1,

Kelty Hearts 2.

(after extra-time)

THE Strollers made life difficult for Hearts in this South Challenge Cup-tie.

The game went into the extra half hour before Kelty managed to get their measure and clinch a place in the next round.

The opening stages were pretty tight with both defences looking solid and neither ‘keeper was asked to do a lot.

However, in the 15th minute the visitors went in front when Nathan Austin got his head to the ball and angled his finish wide of the ‘keeper.

Hearts went for a second but found the CS defence working hard but in 41 minutes Kelty almost got another but some good goalkeeping by the CS ‘keeper kept the interval score at 1-0.

Straight from the kick-off in the second-half CS went up the park and the ball came back of the Kelty bar.

Then on the hour the sides were level when a foul in the Hearts box saw the resultant penalty converted.

In 71 minutes Austin had the the ball in the net again but the referee spotted an infringement and it was chalked-off.

Both teams searched for the winner but there was nothing in the way of clear chances and it was on to extra-time.

In the first 15 minutes neither side really threatened and what got through was dealt with by the respective ‘keepers.

In the second period of extra-time Austin came close to getting the goal his team needed only to see his effort cleared, but then with 118 minutes on the clock he struck to ensure Kelty’s place in the next round.

Penicuik Athletic 2,

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 3.

A FINE result for Haws as they put fellow Premiership side Cuicky out of the South Challenge Cup.

This was a very solid performance from the Haws although they had to play the closing 25 minutes with ten after one of their scorers was red carded.

Hill of Beath made a great start to the game and looked dangerous at times and in 20 minutes took the lead when a Joe Kirby run and cross saw the ball come down off the bar and Joe Kinninmonth knocked the ball over the line from close in.

The ten minutes later they grabbed a second when Kirby was again the provider and this time it was Lewis Elder who finished beautifully at the bar post.

Penicuik had a lot of the ball but were well contained by the Haws defence and in 55 minutes they went three up when Lyle Kellichan fired over a corner and Regan Lumsden bulleted in a header.

However, ten minutes later Lumsden was red carded for an elbow offence as he tried to shake off a marker and it gave Cuicky hope of getting back into the game.

The home side did pulled one back in 75 minutes with a well placed shot from outside the box and then five minutes later got a second.

Athletic came at the short handed Haws strongly but the gallant ten defended bravely, aided by a couple of good James Donaldson saves.

The visitors held on to make the next round of the South Challenge Cup and caretaker manager John Mitchell was delighted with the performance: “Penicuik had a lot of the ball at times but we defended solidly and going forward we created some really good chances.

“The sending off of Regan saw them come at us and when they pulled a second back we had to show a lot of strong team spirit to hold on.”

John expects the club to find a new man for the manager’s post in the coming week but he has enjoyed his spell as interim manage a period in which the team has won twice and drawn once: “It has been great fun but I think the committee will be making an appointment this week.”

Dundonald Bluebell 6,

Edinburgh University 4.

IT was goals galore at Moorside as Bluebell overcame a spirited Edinburgh University side to make the third round of the Football Nation Qualifying Cup (see Jim Payne's pictures from the game).

This was the Students’ first visit to Moorside and what a game it turned out to be.

Dundonald looked lively in attack from the start and were always probing the Lowland League team’s defence and they grabbed the lead when Lewis McKenzie fired home from 12 yards.

The Students were not for lying down though and came back at ‘Bell and managed to level in 15 minutes with a decent finish, but this just fired the Dundonald side up and they went back in front from a nice goal from Billy Rogerson, after some good leading up work.

Uni came back again and levelled before the break with a spectacular finish and Dundonald knew they were in a game at the interval.

McKenzie was at his dangerous best and he struck again to restore the lead early after the restart for the Moorsiders and when Mikey Ness gave them a 4-2 lead it looked like the game was going the home side’s way.

However, Edinburgh got a third goal and the game was open again, but Bluebell upped their workrate and grabbed number five through a very good finish from Chris Gay’s free-kick.

The Students were running on empty now and a sixth goal from Ness wrapped up an entertaining win for the ‘Bel,l but there was still time for the Students to grab a fourth.

Manager Lee Dair found it another one of these games which was not good from a boss’s point of view: “It was quite a tie and I am happy to get through but it was not a good overall performance.”

“It was a match packed with chances although maybe at times the defending was not so good but it was great to win it and our finishing was very sharp.”

Unfortunately their league opponents for this Saturday, Dunbar United have an Alex Jack Cup semi tie so the ‘Bell have no game.

Stoneyburn 6,

Lochgelly Albert 3.

ANOTHER goal ridden game for the Berts as they lost out to second top of the South Division, Stoneyburn.

This was literally a game of two halves with the Lochgelly side in charge in the first-half and the home side taking over.

Albert, who were short of six regulars, started very well and in two minutes Stephen Stark sent a header inches wide and then he shot just past the post.

Stoneyburn were struggling to contain the visitors and in 20 minutes a Sami Mitchell pass sent Ewan Robertson clean through and his shot came back off a post, but Stark, following up, converted.

Then ten minutes later Blair Clark scored a second from a Mitchell corner.

Two minutes later a Mitchell cross was perfect for Ryan Hughes to make it 3-0 and there were other chances for Craig McGuinness and Ryan Kinnes, but Stoneyburn pulled a goal back just before the break.

Then the hosts scored within 60 seconds of the restart and it was the start of a total swing in fortunes.

A goal soon after squared the game and Stoneyburn were suddenly creating chances at will.

They went ahead and in the closing stages took their tally to six.

Berts boss Andy Healy was shocked by the collapse: “We played so well in the first-half and were creating so many chances.

“However, losing a goal so soon after the restart handed the momentum to Stoneyburn and they took complete charge. We really struggled to get into the game.”

This week’s fixtures, Friday, Lowland League, East Stirlingshire v Kelty Hearts (7.45pm).

Saturday, East of Scotland Premier League, Hill of Beath Hawthorn v Newtongrange Star (2.30), Crossgates Primrose v Whitehill Welfare (2.30).

Super League, Lochore Welfare v Livingston United (2.30). South Division, Lochgelly Albert v Boness Juniors (2.30).