Cove Rangers 3, Cowdenbeath 2.

Ladbrokes League 2


A GOAL in the dying seconds of this match at Cove robbed Cowden of what would have been a deserved point on Saturday.

The Blues, with their teenage signings from Hearts in the team, came roaring back into the game in the second period after going two down and could have gone ahead themselves before that late sickener.

Cowden were without several key players for this one with Jamie Pyper, Harvey Swann and Jordan Allan missing but the youngsters signed on loan from Hearts came in and did well.

Chris Hamilton worked hard against a Cove team which is certainly geared to attacking and put in a series of good tackles.

Connor Smith had a midfield beat and made several good passes which had the home defenders struggling to match and his workrate was excellent.

Cowdenbeath’s midfield kept at it for the whole 90 minutes and really the team had enough chances to take something from the game.

League leaders Cove made a good start, however, Kevin Dabrowski did not have too much to deal with but was beaten in the 17th minute.

Harry Milne did the spadework and Jamie MASSON finished well from the centre of the Blue Brazil penalty area.

Cove kept trying to open up Cowden and in 21 minutes Blair Yule’s header was saved by Dabrowski but at the other end, in 34 minutes, Kris Renton’s header was held by 'keeper McKenzie.

Two minutes later Smith hit Cove’s right hand post with a shot from seven yards as the Blues started to look really dangerous.

In the closing minutes of the first period the home side’s Matt Smith was denied by Dabrowski, but a minute from the break Archie Thomas had space and got in a shot which just went over.

The second period started with both sides probing for a chance and Robbie Buchanan came close for Cowdenbeath while Masson just cleared the bar with a 20 yarder but on the hour mark Cove doubled their advantage.

Ryan Strachan supplied Declan GLASS and his fine finish flew high into the net.

However, Cowden were quickly on the attack and in 67 minutes Thomas was hauled down in the box by Connor Scully.

It was Cowden’s third penalty this season and the previous two had been missed but the returning Fraser MULLEN thumped the ball low into the corner of the net.

Cove’s defence was starting to show signs of struggling with Graham Taylor, an interval sub for Renton, posing them problems and Buchanan missed a chance for the Blues before Fraser Fyvie went close for Rangers.

Then 12 minutes from time the leveller came for Cowdenbeath when David COX found space in the Cove box and fired the ball low past the ‘keeper from the middle of the area.

It was anyone’s game now and both teams tried for the winner and Taylor came close for Cowdenbeath then in the 91st minute GLASS took a pass from Daniel Higgins and fired home a shot into the net from outside the box.

It was very disappointing as the game only re-started and the referee blew for full-time.

However, Cowden showed that they could match a team that is the bookies’ favourites to win the title come May.

Cove Rangers: McKenzie (6); Yule (6), Milne (7); Higgins (6), Strachan (7), Fyvie (7); Scully (6), Glass (8), Megginson (6) (Smith 32 (6)), Antoniazzi (Robertson 69 (3)), Masson (7). Subs not used, Kelly, Ross, Redman, Brown, Demus and Smith.

Cowdenbeath: Kevin Dabrowski (7); Fraser Mullen (7), Chris Hamilton (6); Jamie Todd (6), Craig Barr (7), Kyle Miller (7); David Cox (7), Robbie Buchanan (6), Connor Smith (7), Archie Thomas (7), Kris Renton (5) (Graham Taylor 46 (6)). Subs not used, Mickey Herd, Ryan Connelly, Kyle Sneddon, Jacob Glass, Euan Valentine and Mac Whyte.

Referee-Colin Steven (6).