IT was a beautiful evening at the Cowdenbeath Racewall on Saturday night and on a dry and fast track there was no shortage of action, writes our Racewall scribe Jim Turner.

There were two rollovers, the first coming during the opening laps in the Micro F2s when Callan Walker was squeezed into a marker tyre and ended up rolling his car. The second came just after the chequered flag dropped on the last race when Ministox driver Barry Scott, who had been running in a group of cars, was squeezed into the wall and as a result his car rolled onto its side and he was pushed a way down the track before he came to rest. Both drivers were unhurt.

There were a couple of heavy shunts in the ORCi Stock Rods with David Kempton and Clifford Doak colliding on the top bend then a three-car shunt on the main straight involving Michael Bethune, Leon Stewart and Martin Rankine.

There were 21 of the 2 Litre Saloon drivers at the track with the Scottish Champion Ian McLaughlin back in action after suffering a rib injury down at Taunton whilst Holly Glen was also back after a few weeks on the sidelines. In the end the Saloon races were dominated by white grade drivers who won all three of their races. Local drivers on the grid included Raymond Dick (Glenrothes), Ross Watters (Leven), Euan and Andrew Mathieson (Lochgelly) and Alex Cunningham (Leven).

The first heat was led off by Jordan Cassie from Dick but early on H. Glen teeboned Robin Copland although both restarted. Cassie was easing away from Dick who was slowly being caught by Ross Forrest with E. Mathieson in close order. Graeme Shevill was running ahead of Watters and they were beginning to close in on the cars ahead. Cassie though just carried on in the clear to win from Forrest, Dick and Watters in fifth.

Dick led the field away when heat two started but Kevin Letford was soon on the sidelines. Dick was soon caught by Cassie although it took a while before the lead changed hands. Once it did Cassie eased away with Shevill leading the star grade drivers’ chase after the leaders. However, as the laps dwindled Scollon clattered off one of the marker tyres but Cassie was clear and he went through for his second win of the night crossing the line ahead of Dick, Forrest and E. Mathieson with Watters sixth.

When the final started Dick made the better of the starts to lead from Scollon and Cassie but the star drivers seemed to have made too good a start and were quickly closing in on the yellow grade drivers. Letford again retired with Cassie moving into second but by this time Shevill was in fourth place. However, he had Watters, Paul Honeyman and McLaughlin on his tail and he soon lost ground. Cassie began to close the gap to Dick with McLaughlin getting inside of Shevill with P. Honeyman following through the gap.

However, it made no difference with Dick going through to win from McLaughlin who forced his way ahead of Cassie on the last lap to bring his car home in second place with Watters fifth and A. Mathieson in ninth place.

Charlie Santry was a welcome visitor in the Minis who were racing for the Cowdenbeath Civic Week Cup. The local drivers were Jay Paterson (Saline), Ciaran Adams (Lochgelly), Rian Mitchell (Lochgelly), Jake Wilson (Kelty), Scott Allardyce (Anstruther), Mitch Gold (Leven) and Jamie Stewart (Glenrothes).

The first race was for Whites & Yellow sponsored by Jus Bounce and it was Robbie Hamilton who crossed the finish line ahead of Wilson and Ryan Borthwick with Mitchell eighth.

Heat one was led by Hamilton for a good part of the race but he was spun, as did Declan Honeyman with Charlie Faichney’s car stopped on the back straight.

Wilson led the field away but Santry charged through to win from R. Borthwick, Taylor Borthwick, Allardyce and Mitchell with Gold seventh and Stewart tenth. Ethan Doull was the first to show when heat two started but then lost out to Hamilton. Robbie Armit was shunted wide into the wall by Santry who was making his way through the field although he had T. Borthwick in close order. With only a couple of laps remaining Santry moved into the lead and through to win from T. Borthwick and Hamilton with Wilson fifth, Paterson seventh and Gold ninth.

Hamilton got the final underway from Doull but Jay Paterson made a good start and he moved into second a lap later.

However, a shunt saw Paterson, Kai Gilmour and Mika Millar sidelined bringing the race into suspension. Hamilton led the field away but quickly lost out to R. Borthwick. Santry was quickly making up places but when Mitch Gold’s car shed a wheel the race was again suspended. Santry was the new leader from Scott Allardyce and whilst Santry opened up a gap T. Borthwick moved into second spot. R. Borthwick was shunted wide on the last lap on the pit bend as Santry went through to win from T. Borthwick and Allardyce with Stewart sixth, Wilson ninth and Mitchell tenth but just after the flag Scott was edged into the wall and rolled his car. The drivers were presented with their trophies by Tracy Crawford and Steven Haddow.

The Micro F2 drivers reveled on the dry track surface serving up some close and exciting racing with their races being sponsored by Protyre Recycling Scotland. Connor St. Aubyn (Glenrothes) was the only local driver in action.

On the opening lap Callan Walker clipped a marker tyre and rolled suspending the race. Connor St Aubyn led the field away but when Ben McLellan and Owen Marshall tangled the race again had to be stopped. Aiden Davidson led the cars away but lost out as Kyle Rogerson nipped through to win from Charlie Burgoyne and Chris Davidson Jnr with St. Aubyn sixth.

Rhys Kelly led the filed away when heat two started but as the race progressed Ross McLaughlin took the lead only to be pipped at the close as Rogerson picked up his second win of the night where he led home McLaughlin and Davidson Jnr.

Heat three was led initially by Billie Summer Glen but she was to lose out to Burgoyne who soon had a big lead. Behind McLaughlin moved into second but had to take a back seat as Burgoyne romped to an easy win. Davidson Jnr snatched second from McLaughlin with St. Aubyn fifth.

This Saturday the Formula II and 2 Litre Saloon drivers top the billing but also in action are the Prostock and the Micro Banger drivers who are racing for their Supreme title. The meeting starts at 6pm