IT was one of these nights at the Cowdenbeath Racewall on Saturday with the 2 Litre Saloon drivers topping the bill with some outrageous action, writes Racewall reporter Jim Turner.

It started with Greg Honeyman being sent crashing heavily into the wall during the opening saloon heat by Tam Rutherford Jnr, but the action exploded in heat two when G. Honeyman spun Tam Rutherford Snr and then hit his car next time around. Honeyman then charged around the track and hit the car of Rutherford Jnr as the cars were being lined up for the re-start of the race.

Holly Glen was sent crashing heavily into the wall on the pit bend whilst running in a group of cars, resulting in her car hitting the wall backwards. Holly needed help to get out of her car but after a check at the hospital found there was no broken bones – only bruising!

At the end of the Ministox final Michael Gordon and Scott Allardyce tangled on the slow down lap and as a result Allardyce rolled and after Gordon hitting the wall he required assistance out of his car. Robbie Armit was also in the wars being spun and as a result his car bounced off a marker tyre and was the collected by a spinning Declan Honeyman.

After the Formula II World Championship Qualifying rounds there were a few drivers missing but the new gradings had seen Daniel Scrimgeour move up to Superstar, Garry Sime to red and Craig Reid to the yellow grade. Local drivers in action included Paul and Craig Reid (Cowdenbeath) and Gordon Moodie (Windygates).

Heat one saw Steven Burgoyne go through to win from Moodie and Emma Mellis with P. Reid in eighth and just ahead of C. Reid. In heat two Moodie got the better of the early exchanges to win from Burgoyne and Mellis with C. Reid eighth but P. Reid retired with engine problems.

Mellis led the field away when the final started from Peter Watt but whilst Moodie had made a good start from the back of the grid so did Burgoyne. Sime slowed to retire whilst Burgoyne made short work of getting through into the lead. Despite Moodie appearing in second spot Burgoyne went through to win from Moodie with Euan Millar bringing his car home in third spot and C. Reid in ninth place.

There were 20 2 Litre Saloons in action and again the new grades were in place with Tam Rutherford Jnr and Graeme Anderson moving to the red grade with Peter Marioni going up to yellow. Local drivers in action included Ross Watters (Leven) and Euan Mathieson (Lochgelly) but the latter struggled throughout the meeting with various problems.

Heat one saw the first of the hits between Greg Honeyman and Tam Rutherford Jnr when the latter sent him crashing heavily into the wall and out of the race. After that there was an interesting dice between Paul Honeyman and Ian McLaughlin with the latter getting into the lead during the closing stages to win from P. Honeyman.

Heat two turned out to be quite a race for more reasons than one with the race having to be suspended after Holly Glen was sent crashing heavily into the wall and required assistance out of her car. On the restart Rutherford Snr was sent into a spin by G. Honeyman and when he moved into the area behind the goals and was collected again by Honeyman. The race was suspended but G. Honeyman charged around the track and into the side of Rutherford Jnr’s car and then pulled off the track. There were a few exchanges between the drivers before the race restarted with P. Honeyman going through to win.

From the 20 who started the meeting only 13 made it onto the grid for the final which was led off by Ross Forrest. P. Honeyman was sent spinning on the main straight but further back Russell was leading the charge through the field although he had McLaughlin in close order. Forrest was caught and pushed wide as Russell led but McLaughlin was looking for a way through and with only a handful of laps remaining McLaughlin sent Russell spinning on the turnstile bend. After that McLaughlin went through to win from Watters and Barry Glen.

There was a good field of Ministox drivers at the track for a round for the Keir Millar Memorial Trophy with Aaron Richards a welcome visitor. The field was split into a two thirds format with the local drivers being Jay Paterson (Saline), Rian Mitchell (Lochgelly), Scott Allardyce (Anstruther), Ciaran Adams (Ballingry), Mitch Gold (Leven) and Jamie Stewart (Glenrothes).

The opening heat saw Richards just get the better of Jamie Dawson on the run up to the finish line to win by a whisker with Gold in third with Adams fifth, Mitchell sixth, Stewart eighth and Paterson ninth. Heat two ended with Taylor Borthwick going through for a comfortable win over Michael Gordon and Richards with Stewart in ninth place. The third heat was won by Mika Millar despite a late charge from T. Borthwick with Gordon in third ahead of Allardyce, Mitchell and Adams with Gold in eighth spot.

The final turned out to be quite a race with Armit being sent bouncing off the turnstile bend wall and then spinning, On the restart Ethan Doull led the field away only for another stoppage. The cars bunched on the restart and it was Gordon who went into the lead from Millar with Rian Mitchell in third but with another four cars looking to take over third. Gold moved into third but was then edged wide as T. Borthwick moved ahead.

The gap to Gordon disappeared as T. Borthwick took over the lead with Richards and Millar relegating Gordon to fifth. T. Borthwick was by now clear and she went through to win from Richards and Allardyce with Mitchell in sixth and Gold in eighth place. On the slow down lap and Gordon tangled on the back straight resulting in Gordon being squeezed into the wall and Allardyce rolling his car.

The Prostock drivers were in good form with local drivers Paul Barron (Cowdenbeath), Ryan and Jack Cameron (Methil), Aaron Lithgow (Kirkcaldy), Ian Christie and Michael Mitchell (Lochgelly), who was having his first Racewall outing. Barron won the opening heat from Christie, John Mason and J. Cameron with R. Cameron in seventh. Heat two saw Mitchell go through to win and he was over half a lap clear of Barron, Mason, J. Cameron and Christie at the finish.

The final proved to be hectic with R. Cameron being sent crashing into the wall and then Mitchell being pushed wide as Barron took over at the head of the field. However, Mitchell clipped and sent him spinning on the turnstile bend wall and the race was suspended after Barron’s car didn’t restart. Mitchell was black flagged for an illegal move and on the restart Mason went on to win from J. Cameron and Leslie Paterson.

The Micro F2 drivers were in good form with local drivers Connor St. Aubyn (Glenrothes) and Lennon Cuthill (Glenrothes) in action.

The opening heat saw Joelan Maynard go through to win from long time leader Robbie Conner and Kyle Rogerson. The start to heat two was explosive with Ben McLellan was caught up in the action and crashed heavily into the wall. On the restart Maynard went through to up his second win of the night when he led home Oliver Herron and Conner with Cuthill sixth and St. Aubyn ninth. In heat three, Conner made an early break from the field to win from Maynard and Herron with S. Aubyn fifth and Cuthill in tenth place.

It’s going to be another hectic night of racing this Saturday with the Formula IIs and the 2 Litre National Saloons back in action but this time they will be supported by the 1300 Saloons and the National Hot Rods who are competing in a World Championship Qualifying Round. The meeting starts at 6pm