Cowdenbeath 2, Clyde 1.

Ladbrokes League 2


THE Blue Brazil ruined Clyde’s day with another very solid performance.

Cowden were without Robbie Deas, so Blair Malcolm had to fill in at left wing back which saw Gary Fraser back in the midfield area for this one against the team chasing the title with Peterhead.

Clyde had to win, and they brought a healthy support, but they found the Blues in a very mean mood and the Bully Wee were bullied out of the game by the hard working Fifers.

Malcolm found winger Mark Lamont a hot handful but stuck to his task, while in the central area Jamie Pyper, Luc Bollan and Jamie Todd had their hands full with David Goodwillie and Ally Love, but they kept working hard to defy the eager visitors.

Fraser, Robbie Buchanan and Kyle Miller, worked hard in midfield throughout and the longer the game went, they started to win their individual battles and Cowden finished the stronger side.

In attack David Cox’s speed was a problem for the Bully Wee defence and he and Jordan Allan combined superbly to set up Miller for his winner.

In the first minute Bollan miscued a clearance straight to Goodwillie and he first timed a 20 yarder just past.

Cowden went up the park and Fraser Mullen’s cross was met by Bollan but his header was well off target.

In 11 minutes Goodwillie had another chance when a long throw was right on the striker’s head but from eight yards his header went straight at Dave McGurn.

Then in 17 minutes the Bully Wee threatened again when Love got on the end of a knock down but Todd blocked the striker’s seven yard shot.

In 22 minutes Fraser opened up the Clyde defence with a lovely 30 yard pass and Cox’s cross was gathered by Buchanan only six yards out but a brave Tom Lang tackle blocked the midfielder's shot.

Seven minutes from the break Cowdenbeath went in front. Mullen’s corner was met by PYPER only six yards out and he glided the ball into the net.

Clyde tried to fight back but some good work by Todd, Bollan and Pyper kept them out.

Three minutes into the second period Love got into a good position and his eight yarder was palmed over by McGurn.

But in 50 minutes a fine run by Cox saw Mullen released and with Allan waiting a fine interception by Scott Rumsby cleared the danger.

However, in 57 minutes Clyde levelled. After the home defence failed to clear a long free-kick into the box Martin McNIFF was in the perfect position to shoot home from close in.

In 62 minutes an angled Mullen free-kick had Clyde in trouble and the ball rolled just wide.

But a minute later the Blues retook the lead. A fine move, involving Allan, saw his pass dummied by Cox and MILLER blasted the ball home from only ten yards.

Clyde were still searching for a way back into the game and kept probing and McGurn had to look lively twice to preserve the advantage, but Allan and Cox both had chances to add to the home tally.

With six minutes to go a nice run and shot by sub Kris Syversten ended with his shot blocked by Bollan at the expense of a corner, then in time added on a superb block by Todd kept out Goodwillie’s seven yard drive.

Cowdenbeath: Dave McGurn (7); Fraser Mullen (7), Jamie Todd (7); Jamie Pyper (8), Luc Bollan (7), Blair Malcolm (6); David Cox (7), Kyle Miller (7), Jordan Allan (7), Robbie Buchanan (7) (Harvey Swann 91)), Gary Fraser (7). Subs not used, Jordyn Sheerin, Kyle Sneddon, Ryan Connolly and Aaron Lennox.

Clyde: Currie (7), Cuddihy (6) (Cogill 66 (3)), McNiff (6); Lang (7), Rumsby (7), Grant (7); Lamont (7), McStay (6), Goodwillie (7), Nicoll (7) (Banks 56)), Love (7) (Syversten 56)). Subs not used, Lyon, Stewart, Boyle and Hughes.

Referee-Colin Steven (6).