Annan Athletic 3, Cowdenbeath 2.

Ladbrokes League 2


A LATE fight-back by the Blues just failed to take something from this game at Galabank on Saturday.

An ordinary first hour saw Cowden looking like they were heading for a bit of a hiding, but after Jordan Allan pulled one back the game swung and there were opportunities for the team to earn a point.

Although their ultimate aim of picking up a fourth straight win was blown away in the first-half.

Defensively Cowden were indifferent at times in the first period and it let Annan take a two goal lead.

But it was not all about the rearguard for the midfield were finding Annan difficult to master in the game in the first 45 minutes.

Strikers David Cox and Allan saw too little of the ball, but after the break things looked a lot healthier from a Cowdenbeath point of view and there were opportunities for the strikers as Annan started to feel the pressure.

In the closing ten minutes Annan gave away corners and had to defend desperately to preserve their lead.

But the real damage to the Cowdenbeath cause occurred in the first 45 when Cowden struggled to really get to grips with the game.

Annan took the lead in 10 minutes when Pete Watson set up Aidan SMITH and his 12 yarder gave Dave McGurn no chance.

In 14 minutes the Blues threatened with a Kyle Miller drive which went just wide but soon after Annan’s Owen Moxon saw a left foot effort drift wide and then Christian NADE got on the end of a cross but his header went just past the post.

However, the former Raith Rovers man got his name on the scoresheet on 21 minutes when Moxon’s assist saw him have time to lob into the corner of the net.

Cowden were struggling a bit and Tommy Muir came close to a third with a header that went inches over.

However, 14 minutes from the break Miller tested the home ‘keeper with a fierce 30 yarder which saw a fine stop from McAdams and in the run up to the break whistle Robbie Buchanan and Cox saw good efforts just off target.

Cowdenbeath needed to start the second-half well but in 70 minutes they went three down.

SMITH scored again after Tony Wallace had provided the chance from a corner and the Blues were in trouble.

But within a minute Cowden got one back. Buchanan produced a lovely pass and ALLAN latched onto it and from 20 yards he provided the perfect finish.

Annan tried to respond and Moxon and Chris Johnston saw McGurn save well but 13 minutes from time Cowden were right back in it.

Blair Malcolm was the provider and ALLAN again produced a perfect finish from the edge of the penalty area.

Eight minutes from time Muir fired inches wide for Annan but in a grandstand finish Malcolm was defied by the home ‘keeper from 12 yards, and as Annan gave away a couple of corners, Luc Bollan saw his header blocked on the edge of the six yard box.

Then with two minutes to go Buchanan had time to pick his spot but the ball crept wide of the right hand Annan post.

And three minutes into time added on Cox saw his 20 yarder blocked by a packed Annan defence, then there was another Cowdenbeath corner but the hosts held on.

Cowden were left to think of how different the game could have been had they started better.

Annan Athletic: McAdams (6); Brannan (7), Strapp (7); Wilson (6) (Johnston 64 (3)), Swinglehurst (7), Watson (6); Wallace (6), Moxon (7) (Sinnamon 77 (3)), Smith (8), Nade (Bradley 64 (3)), Muir (6). Subs not used, Sonkur and Barr.

Cowdenbeath: Dave McGurn (7); Fraser Mullen (6), Jamie Todd (6); Jamie Pyper (6), Luc Bollan (6), Robbie Deas (6), Gary Fraser 77 (3)); Kyle Miller (6), David Cox (7), Jordan Allan (7), Robbie Buchanan (7), Blair Malcolm (7). Subs not used, Harvey Swann, Kyle Sneddon, Ryan Connelly and Aaron Lennox.

Referee-Scott Lambie (6).