Stirling Albion 0, Cowdenbeath 1.

Ladbrokes League 2


THREE in a row for the Blue Brazil and they are now seventh in the table and hot on the tails of sixth top Queen’s Park.

It might not sound that exciting but after the past two horrible seasons it is top progress and if they can keep the run going they could get sixth spot which would be warmly welcomed by the fans.

Cowdenbeath, with the squad shrinking through injury, stuck by the team which beat Elgin City with the 3-5-2 system again being deployed.

It meant that the Blues went into the game in the Forthbank sun, on Saturday, with Robbie Deas starting on the left hand side and pushing forward effectively.

Unfortunately the teenager had to go off at the break but all it did was let Harvey Swann go on and work his magic on the left hand side.

Again the central area of the defence was a key element of the win and Jamie Pyper, Jamie Todd and Luc Bollan kept a tight grip of things.

Fraser Mullen and Deas started positively in the wide areas and carried danger and Swann did likewise when he took over from the Scotland 19s player. When Albion did get through Dave McGurn was in good form.

In midfield skipper Kyle Miller marshalled matters and along with Blair Malcolm and Robbie Buchanan, kept Jordan Allan and David Cox supplied with several good openings.

The game saw another red card in a Stirling v Cowden game with the home side’s Jordan Allan red carded for a bad foul and it gave Cowden the chance to take the lead and then cement the win.

On a beautiful day for football Albion make the more positive start and good work by the Cowdenbeath defence stopped shots from Darren Smith and Cammy Thomson reaching McGurn. However, in eight minutes a good visiting move saw Allan hit the Stirling post with a low shot from the left hand side of the box.

Then Buchanan fired just a bit too high from 20 yards before Cox saw his 12 yarder saved by the Stirling ‘keeper.

In 23 minutes Cowden could have taken the lead when Allan fired just wide after good build up play but Albion started to get a grip of things in midfield and chances became fewer.

However, a minute from the break Bollan fired in a header from a set piece which was well saved.

Deas did not reappear for the second-half and Albion had the first go at trying to get in front when their Allan fired a shot, from around 22 yards, just over.

In 56 minutes Buchanan was chopped down by Allan and the referee swiftly produced the red card.

From the free-kick COX produced a magnificent finish into the top corner and Stirling were up against it.

However, Kyle Banner’s header was not that far away on the hour and soon after Dylan Mackin’s header was just wide.

Cowdenbeath were looking dangerous breaking forward and Cox should have done better than fire wide from the edge of the box.

Stirling were still trying to get back into the picture but Cowdenbeath started to use their man advantage and forced several corners but these came to nothing.

Cowden closed ranks and McGurn was not overworked as the team defended solidly and they close ranks to defend their advantage and pick up their third win in a row.

Stirling Albion: Ferrie (7); Banner (6), Allan (5); McGregor (6), Hamilton (5) (McGeachie 75 (3)), Hughes (6), Docherty (6) (McLaughlin 77 (3)), Jardine (6), Smith (6) (Mackin 64 (3)), McLear (6), Thomson (6). Subs not used, Horne, Glover, Binnie and Wright.

Cowdenbeath: Dave McGurn (7); Fraser Mullen (7), Jamie Todd (7); Jamie Pyper (8), Luc Bollan ( 7), Robbie Deas (6) (Harvey Swann 46 (6)); David Cox (7), Kyle Miller (7), Jordan Allan (7), Robbie Buchanan (7), Blair Malcolm (7) (Gary Fraser 86 (2)).

Referee-Barry Cook (6).