Cowdenbeath 0, Queen’s Park 0

Ladbrokes League 2


A GOALLESS draw kept Cowdenbeath’s unbeaten record against Queen’s this season but the Blues just could not get a winner.

Cowden struggled throughout the first period, at Central Park on Saturday, and it took a series of saves from Dave McGurn to keep the Spiders out in the first period.

Without Robbie Deas, on Scotland 19s duty, Jamie Pyper came back into the defence and played pretty well alongside Luc Bollan, but full-backs Fraser Mullen and Harvey Swann found it hard going against Gavin McGrory and Kieran Moore.

The midfield trio of Kyle Miller, Gary Fraser and Blair Malcolm struggled to get a grip of the game in the first 45 minutes.

After the break Cowdenbeath started to do better against the wind and created a few more chances but still Dave McGurn was the best home player and made a couple of good saves to get a shut out.

Overall it was not a great game for them, so the wins the hosts have been desiring are proving hard to get, but nonetheless it was a clean sheet.

In the third minute Fraser tested Jordan Hart with a 22 yarder after a long throw had not been properly cleared but within the space of 60 seconds David Galt brought out a good save from McGurn and then Kieran Moore hit the left hand home post with an angled 16 yarder.

As Queen’s continued to press Ciaran Summers forced another good stop from McGurn.

The home defence was at sixes and sevens at this stage and Scott Gibson fired over from only 12 yards.

Then in 18 minutes Moore should have done better when Scott McLean found him with a low cross from the right with his shot straight at McGurn and in 22 minutes Galt tested the ‘keeper with a fierce 12 yarder.

In 26 minutes Cowden at last had a chance when David Cox held off a challenge and made ground into the Spiders’ box and his low cross looked to be perfect for Kris Renton but a brilliant interception from Dom McLaren cleared the danger.

In 31 minutes Renton set up Robbie Buchanan only 16 yards out but he ballooned over.

Eight minutes from the break Galt threatened again for Queen’s with an 18 yarder which flew just over then on the whistle a Renton flick-on went towards Cox and a brave save from Hart at the striker’s feet kept the scoreline blank.

Cowden had a chance in 48 minutes when Renton got the break of the ball on the right hand touchline and his pass seemed like it was going to find Cox with just the ‘keeper to beat, but a fine McLaren interception cleared the danger.

Queen’s started to get a grip on possession and shots from McGrory and Hawke roared just wide.

With 65 minutes on the clock a shot from McLaren hit the top of the Cowden bar as the visitors started to dominate possession.

However, as both teams struggled with the strong wind neither side was able to really mount a lot of pressure.

But with eight minutes left home sub Jordan Allan fired wildly over after Renton had set him up.

It kind of summed the game up with the wind spoiling things.

Cowdenbeath: Dave McGurn (8); Fraser Mullen (6), Harvey Swann (6); Jamie Pyper (6), Luc Bollan (6), Kyle Miller (7); David Cox (7) (Jordyn Sheerin 88 (2)), Blair Malcolm (6) (Jordan Allan 79 (3)), Kris Renton (7), Gary Fraser (6), Robbie Buchanan (6). Subs not used, Jamie Todd, Kyle Sneddon, Ryan Connelly, Mark Fotheringham and Kieron Renton.

Queen’s Park: Hart (7); McLean (7), Summers (7); McKernon (7), McLaren (7), Gibson (7); McGrory (6), Roberts (6), Hawke (7) (Gow 81 (2)), Galt (7), Moore (7) (East 77 (3)). Subs not used, Bradley, McLauchlan, Ruth, Magee and McDougall.

Referee-Craig Napier (6).