A DEFEAT for Kelty but there were impressive wins for Hill of Beath Hawthorn and Crossgates Primrose in Saturday’s football card.

In the South Division Lochore’s game with Rosyth was postponed after overnight rain left the pitch very soft in places while Lochgelly Albert missed the chance to get off the bottom.

The Spartans 2,

Kelty Hearts 1.

THIS Lowland League game was switched to Friday night as Ladbrokes League 2 side Edinburgh City were at home to Queen's Park on Saturday and for long spells it looked as if Hearts could win it.

However, they were caught out by a late Spartans winner and now they trail leaders East Kilbride by 14 points.

Hearts opened the game at Ainslie Park well and while there were not a lot of chances there were few scares for the visitors.

Brian Ritchie had an opening in 27 minutes but his finish was a little weak and the home 'keeper collected.

Spartans had to wait until the 35th minute to get a chance when a neat flick went just wide then five minutes from the break an effort from a home attacker was mopped up by a strong Murray Carstairs tackle.

No goals at the break but Kelty made a great start to the second period when Errol Douglas finished well to put the visitors ahead.

Kelty needed to consolidate their position but they were caught out just five minutes later when a Spartans took advantage of some indecision in the Kelty rearguard to level.

Hearts brought on Keir Macaulay for Chris Dodd for the closing 15 minutes but found themselves a goal down in 78 minutes when a good finish put the hosts ahead.

Hearts threw on Scott Dalziel for the last ten minutes and there were some close calls around the Spartans goal as a defender almost put through his own goal and then a free-kick was shipped into the home box but there were no takers.

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 4

Leith Athletic 1.

A TREMENDOUS second-half performance gave the Haws the win that puts them back into second top spot in East of Scotland League Conference A.

After their defeat to Newtongrange Star in midweek the hosts really needed to make a good start to the game, but in the opening half hour they found it hard to put together many good moves.

Leith kept working hard but were unable to really get many shots away until on the half hour a 25 yard wind assisted rocket put them ahead.

The home side came out for the second period in a more positive frame of mind but still found it difficult to carve out chances.

And when the equaliser came it was a strange situation with Lyle Kellichan’s angled cross into the box being missed by everyone and hitting a defender before spinning into the net.

This opened the game up and three minutes later Kevin Conners' long pass opened the door for Russell Pearson to score at the back post.

In 75 minutes the hosts scored again. Joe Kirby’s corner was flicked on by Darrin Wright and Josh Morris was lying handed to convert.

The fourth came from a good run from Charlie Denton who provided the opportunity for Kirby add number four.

The result put Haws back into second spot five points behind leaders Penicuik.

Manager Kevin Fotheringham was unhappy with the start made by his side: “The way we have been starting games recently has been a concern.

“We were very flat in the first period but once we got level in the second-half, the quality of our play increased dramatically and we started to carve out a lot of chances.

“However, we have to start games better for we have so much to play for in the coming weeks being in three cups and trying to keep the pressure on Penicuik in the league.”

Dundonald Bluebell 1,

Bonnyrigg Rose 3.

THE East League Conference B leaders Bonnyrigg got a key break which allowed them to overcome the‘Bell.

In the first-half both sides were finding the strong wind and heavy pitch hard to master and while there were a few chances there were not many as the defenders worked hard to keep a grip on attackers.

However, in 28 minutes a ball played in the Dundonald box and hit 'Bell centre-half Liam McDaid and rolled over the line.

A goal down at the break ‘Bell had to start the second-half well and in the 55th minute Archie Campbell went forward and laid on a perfect pass that saw Lewis McKenzie race through to equalise.

This opened things up and Rose were shocked but they started to come more into the game again and in 69 minutes they forced a corner and from the set piece the ball was despatched into the net at the front post.

Dundonald kept searching for a leveller and there were a couple of close calls for Bonnyrigg and from one of them the ball hit a defender and rolled past the ‘keeper.

It looked like 2-2 but a linesman flagged and after consultation with the assistant the referee chalked it off for the ball going out of play on its way into the box!

Rose took advantage to grab a third late on to keep their healthy lead at the top of the table.

It leaves the ‘Bell in third place and they need to close out a few more wins in their last five games to ensure their top five finish.

Bluebell boss Jason Dair was puzzled by the chalking off of what looked like an equaliser: “It looked like we had squared things with not long to go and the Bonnyrigg players did not complain but the linesman felt the ball had gone out of the pitch.

“It was a blow for there was little in the game and we could have taken a point off a very good team.”

Crossgates Primrose 4,

Tranent 1.

A REALLY impressive East of Scotland League Conference B win for the Primrose.

Tranent are in fourth place in the table and doing well this season, so on paper it as a tough game but the Primrose wasted no time in reminding the visitors they were in for a tough afternoon.

In the third minute Crossgates took the lead when a good ball into the box found Scott Lawrie who slid the ball into the net.

Tranent were struggling to contain the eager home side and in 27 minutes they were two down.

There was nothing the visitors could do to stop Mark McKenzie doing the needful after good lead up work.

Crossgates were looking very dangerous and in 33 minutes the harassed Tranent defence gave away a penalty and Lawrie made the break score 3-0.

Tranent came out for the second period looking to get back into the game but in 48 minutes they were four down when Dale Allan finished well.

There was a long way back for Tranent but in 55 minutes they pulled one back.

The visitors started to pose real problems for Crossgates but good defensive work kept them in check although in the last minute a penalty opportunity for visitors came after a foul but Henderson came to the rescue by pulling off a great save.

The result puts Primrose in fifth spot and three wins from their closing four games would ensure a top five finish.

Lochgelly Albert 1,

Stoneyburn 2.

A LAST minute goal wrecked the Berts chances of taking something from this South Division fixture at Gardiner’s Park.

The game was spoiled by the strong wind but both teams tried to play good football although clear chances were not plentiful.

Lochgelly had an opening when Ricki Cooper sent Euan Robertson through but his shot was blocked and then Cooper following up fired wide

However, in the 20th minute Stoneyburn made the wind advantage they had count when they took the lead with a finish after a shot had been blocked.

Cooper and Joe Dawson went close before the break for the Berts but they turned around one down

Lochgelly came back at the visitors in the second period and carved out some good openings. Cooper and Darren Ormiston had chances but failed to hit the net and in 82 minutes the leveller came when a Cooper corner was cleared back to him and his cross come shot flew into the net.

The Berts went for the winner but they were held in check and with almost the last kick of the game a 25 yarder flew into the net to give Stoneyburn a fortuitous win and keep the Berts in bottom spot.

Albert boss Andy Healy was disappointed how his side played: "The boys did not reach the level of performance of the last three games which was unfortunate as I felt this was a game we could have won.

"However, we have to look to try to win our last three games but with the opposition including Bathgate and Pumpherston it will be a tall order."

Saturday's fixtures, Lowland League, Kelty Hearts v Cumbernauld Colts (3pm). East of Scotland League Conference A, Peebles Rovers v Hill of Beath Hawthorn (2.30). East of Scotland League Conference B, Haddington Athletic v Crossgates Primrose (2.30).

South Division, Bathgate Thistle v Lochgelly Albert (2.30), Livingston United v Lochore Welfare (2.30).