Berwick Rangers 1, Cowdenbeath 1.

Ladbrokes League 2


COWDENBEATH had chances to win this game with League 2 strugglers Berwick but blew it at very windy Shielfield Park on Saturday.

The Blues had most of the ball throughout the game but struggled to get enough shots on goal.

Defensively Cowden were solid and they limited the Wee Gers to few efforts at goal, but the lack of a cutting edge at the other end was the real problem.

With Kris Renton injured Cowden went for a line-up which had three central defenders in Jamie Todd, Robbie Deas and Luc Bollan with Fraser Mullen and Harvey Swann providing the width.

Berwick were able to close down the Blues’ midfield of Robbie Buchanan, Gary Fraser and Robbie Buchanan pretty effectively for long stretches of the match.

It meant David Cox and Jordan Allan did not have a lot of clear openings but there were a couple of chances for them to score.

Over the piece it was another game Cowden should have won but they left England with only one point, but it did end the four game losing run.

Berwick opened the game brightly and in nine minutes former Hill of Beath Hawthorn attacker Calum Adamson sent in a right foot shot which went just wide.

With the wind making life difficult for the players play was scrappy with passes going astray and openings were few.

Then in 24 minutes the hosts took the lead. Daryl Healy took advantage of space to find ADAMSON and he fired a right foot shot past returning ‘keeper Dave McGurn.

Cowdenbeath responded and Buchanan got on then end of a ball slung across the face of the Berwick goal and his header flew wide.

However, it took only seven more minutes for Buchanan to get his name on the scoresheet.

Cox made the break in the Rangers box and his pass to BUCHANAN saw the midfielder shoot into the net from only seven yards out.

Cowden started the second period aggressively and won a lot of tackles giving them possession but openings did not present themselves and Berwick defended well.

Cowdenbeath forced a couple of corners but nothing came of these but Berwick were finding it difficult to put any pressure on the visitors at all.

The Blues sent on Jordyn Sheerin for Allan and with 19 minutes left Fraser saw his low effort blocked.

Blair Malcolm had come on for Miller and immediately got a chance when he found space 20 yards out but he fired over.

Berwick came back into things and Robert Wilson found space in the Cowden box with 12 minutes left but headed over and then Adamson blasted over from the edge of the penalty area.

Cowdenbeath made a late effort to get the necessary second goal and Cox’s header with three to go was brilliantly saved by Sean Brennan but then the striker was caught by an awful tackle by Berwick sub Declan O’Kane who was shown the red card.

There was not much time left for Cowden to make the man advantage tell but they forced a corner and Berwick pulled everyone back to keep it out and succeeded.

Berwick Rangers: Brennan (7); Cook (6), Brydon (6 (Forbes 55 (3)); Mclduff (6), Wilson (7), Brown (Blues 74 (3); Barr (6), Ogilvie (6), Healy (6), Adamson (7), Murphy (6 (O’Kane 58 (2)). Subs not used, Hume, Rose, Aloulou and Carlin.

Cowdenbeath: Dave McGurn (7); Fraser Mullen (6), Luc Bollan (6); Robbie Deas (7), Jamie Todd (7), Kyle Miller (6) (Blair Malcolm 65 (3)); David Cox (6), Robbie Buchanan (7), Jordan Allan (6) (Jordyn Sheerin 65 (3)), Gary Fraser (7), Harvey Swann (6). Subs not used, Kyle Sneddon, Ryan Connelly, Mark Fotheringham, Cammy Muirhead and Aaron Lennox.

Referee-Gavin Ross (6).