CROSSGATES Primrose provided the shock of the King Cup second round on Saturday by winning a seven goal thriller against Dundonald Bluebell.

Elsewhere Lochore Welfare dropped two points in their South Division promotion chase and Hill of Beath Hawthorn won a Challenge cup-tie on penalties at Sauchie.

Dundonald Bluebell 3,

Crossgates Primrose 4 (after extra-time).

A TREMENDOUS second-half fight-back gave Primrose a dramatic extra-time success in this King Cup second round tie at Moorside, see pictures from Ted Milton.

The first-half saw the Bluebell, who had only 11 fit players, take charge and Crossgates had to work really hard to stay with the home side.

‘Bell started the game very positively and they grabbed an early lead in 15 minutes when Calum Smith nicked the ball into the net following a corner.

Crossgates were soon back in it and in 23 minutes they levelled with a fine piece of work from Mark McKenzie following a poor clearance from ‘Bell ‘keeper James Lennox.

But Bluebell were working really well and they were creating chances and on the half hour the ‘Bell got back in front when a fine move saw Lewis McKenzie finish superbly following good work by Billy Rogerson.

Crossgates had to try to keep in this game and set out to defend well but four minutes later the Moorsiders grabbed a third through another McKenzie strike following Archie Campbell’s cross.

The visitors had to get back into the tie early in the second period if they wanted to have a chance of winning it and in 52 minutes a foul in the box by Liam McDaid gave Scott Lawrie the chance to pull one back from the spot.

Then eight minutes later the Primrose were level. They found the Dundonald defence struggling to keep them out and James McAteer did brilliantly to fire in a shot which hit the net via the inside of a post.

It was anyone’s tie now and there were chances for both sides but despite some good opportunities it was on to extra-time.

The ‘Bell were struggling to get their shooting boots back on but Mike Ness’s header hit the underside of the Crossgates bar and in 99 minute Lawrie put the visitors ahead for the first time.

The home side did up their game in the second-half of the extra 30 but Primrose defended well to pull off a shock win.

Bluebell boss Jason Dair was disappointed losing the tie: “We were short of six or seven players through injuries but there were no excuses.

“We were playing some good stuff in the first period and scored three good goals but started to run out of steam in the second-half. Nonetheless Mike Ness could have maybe won it in the extra half hour.

“We should have at least four or five lads back for this Saturday’s tough Conference B match with leaders Bonnyrigg.”

Sauchie 1,

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 1 (after extra time)

(Haws win 4-2 on penalties)

ANOTHER thrilling cup game this time in the SFA South Region Challenge Cup fifth round.

Haws were slow to start this game and Sauchie had a lot of good possession without really working Stuart Hall in the visiting goal.

There were not a lot of good chances in the opening stages and that was the story for most of the first period and when the break whistle came the scoreline was blank.

However, in the 55th minute Hill of Beath took the lead. Joe Kirby’s corner was met by Rikki Dair and his powerful header gave the ‘keeper no chance.

Sauchie quickly bounced back though and levelled ten minutes later and after that chances again were few.

The heavy pitch made life difficult for both teams and it was no surprise that the tie went into extra time.

There chances were few again but Haws had a couple of openings only to see them go abegging.

However, Sauchie were kept out and the game went to a penalty shoot-out.

Michael Watt saw his penalty hit the bar but conversions from Shaun Leishman, Lyle Kellichan, Lewis Elder and Darrin Wright allied to a fine Stuart Hall save and a Sauchie miss, saw Hill of Beath through to the semi-finals.

Haws boss, Kevin Fotheringham, was disappointed with the way his team played but delighted to be in a semi-final.

He said: “The first-half was not good from us at all for we were second to every ball.

“Fortunately we defended really solidly and kept Sauchie out but after we took the lead we got caught out and really neither side created many chances after that.

“However, we kept our nerve in the shoot-out and it is really pleasing to be in the last four of a good competition. Hopefully we will get a home tie in the semis.”

Lochore Welfare 2,

Lochgelly Albert 2.

THIS draw with bottom of the table Berts could be seen as disappointing for the Welfare, but the news received during the week about possible league reconstruction meant it was a decent result.

Lochgelly have had a very difficult season but manager Andy Healy has been slowly piecing together a side which can next term make an impact at this level and they opened the game well.

In only five minutes they took the lead when a curling Rikki Cooper free-kick into the box was met by Lochore defender Kearyn Hicks whose header flew into his own net.

However, it was not long before the home side started to probe for a goal and it came when Joe Kinninmonth slotted the ball into the net after a good through pass.

The Berts were working away well and defending solidly and two minutes from the break they took the lead. Cooper created the danger and his pass set up Euan Robertson to score from six yards out.

Lochore started the second period aggressively and they were only kept out by some good Lochgelly defensive work, but in 65 minutes the leveller came.

Jamie McNeish was hauled down in the box and the referee pointed to the spot and Scott Renton converted the penalty.

Lochore went for the winner and there were a couple of good chances involving Kinninmonth but the Albert battled away and held on for a draw and came close to a third with good work from Jordan McKenzie setting up Cooper whose shot was blocked and then the same Albert player fired wide.

The Welfare are now on 25 points from 16 games, six behind second top Armadale with three games in hand and four behind Livingston United who are third with a game more played.

It now seems that three teams are going to be promoted from the South Division so the Welfare target has to be to get in front of either Armadale, Livi or Bathgate.

Said Lochore boss James Adam: “We made a terrible start to the game but once we got level in the second period we started to look the likely winner.

“To be fair the Albert defended well and managed to keep us out. However, the news that there seems now to be three teams going up from the division means that we have ensure that we finish in the top three and we have to make sure we take care of Rosyth this coming weekend.”

Albert boss Andy Healy was pleased with the overall show from his team: “Like against Armadale, the week before, we defended very solidly and also created a few really good chances.

“It was an interesting day and I received a great reception from everyone at the Welfare which was really nice.

“We have four games left and if we can get a couple of wins we can get away from the foot of the table.”

Andy added to his squad during the week signing former Cowdenbeath defender Rory George.

Fixtures, Friday Lowland League, The Spartans v Kelty Hearts (7.45). Saturday, East of Scotland League Conference A, Hill of Beath Hawthorn v Leith Athletic (2.30). East of Scotland League Conference B, Dundonald Bluebell Bonnyrigg Rose (2.30), Crossgates Primrose v Tranent (2.30).

South Division, Lochore Welfare v Rosyth Recreation (2.30), Lochgelly Albert v Stoneyburn (2.30).