Edinburgh City 2, Cowdenbeath 0.

Ladbrokes League 2


AN awful first half hour saw league leaders City get the goals which won their their third set of three points from Cowden this season.

The Blues found themselves conceding two goals and even missing a penalty in this period, and it ultimately cost them a result.

At times Cowdenbeath did really well, against a team which has been at the top of the table for most of the season.

Cowden just seemed to find it hard to mark up the fast moving Edinburgh attackers early on and it allowed them to create more than a few chances.

Having lost a goal in the first 15 minutes the Blues had a chance to level when Kris Renton was fouled in the box but Gary Fraser, who had scored from the spot against Albion Rovers, saw his penalty saved and when they lost a second soon after they faced a hard task.

Then things were made worse when David Cox was sent off for a wild reaction to the referee denying a corner.

Attackers Renton, Jordan Allan and Cox did have openings but they did not take any but at times the Cowden midfield had to play second fiddle and that limited openings.

Cowden had a chance in ten minutes when Robbie Buchanan got into a good position on the edge of the City box but fired over.

However, five minutes later the home side went ahead when Craig THOMSON was set up by Josh Walker and his 20 yarder flew high past Aaron Lennox.

Within three minutes Renton almost levelled when he latched onto a good cross into the box but header flew wide.

Then in 24 minutes Renton was fouled in the City box by Marc Laird and Fraser stepped up to take the penalty but Calum Antell dived to save.

Four minutes later the ‘keeper became the supplier of the second City goal when his long clearance was gathered by Blair HENDERSON with the Cowden cover breached and his left foot shot flew wide of Lennox.

Cowden came back into it and Fraser Mullen’s 24 yarder looked to be heading into the net but Antell pulled of a fine save.

Five minutes from the break Cowden missed a free-kick chance when Fraser took it but fired the ball over.

Just on the interval whistle City skipper Conrad Balatoni had a chance for his side but he fired over from a very good position.

Cowdenbeath needed a good start to the second period and Mullen was up with his attack again and saw his shot creep wide.

Then the game was held up when linesman Brian Templeton inadvertently bounced into Cowden boss Gary Bollan and crashed to the ground and needed treatment.

In 52 minutes Lennox had to save well from a Blair Henderson header but within 120 seconds at the other end Buchanan’s header came off a City post.

Edinburgh had a good spell and chances Thomson shot wide from a very good place before Graham Taylor saw his 19 yarder excellently held by Lennox.

With 21 minutes left Cowden’s task was made more difficult when Cox’s reacted furiously to his appeal for a corner bring turned down when the ball seemed to come off a defender, and the referee produced a red card.

However, it was Cowdenbeath who started to have more of the ball and with ten minutes left Antell made another good save from Miller’s fierce 20 yarder.

City were content to keep Cowdenbeath out but in time added on Henderson had a shot which Lennox saved well.

So City got the win but Cowden would ask themselves how they failed to get a goal from a game where they had a penalty and several good chances.

Edinburgh City: Antell (8); Thomson (7), McIntyre (6); L Henderson (7), Balatoni (6), Black (6); Laird (7), Shepherd (6) (Diver 85 (2)), B Henderson (7), Walker (6), Taylor (6) (Watson 79 (3)). Subs not used, Rodger, Donaldson, Hall, Morton and Breen.

Cowdenbeath: Aaron Lennox (7); Fraser Mullen (6), Harvey Swann (6); Jamie Todd (6), Robbie Deas (6), Kyle Miller (6); David Cox (5), Robbie Buchanan (7), Kris Renton (6) (Jordyn Sheerin 82 (2)), Gary Fraser (6) (Blair Malcolm 58 (2)), Jordan Allan (6) (Matt Henvey 79 (3)). Subs not used, Jamie Pyper, Kyle Sneddon, Martin Scott and Dave McGurn.

Referee-Craig Napier (6).