Clyde 1, Cowdenbeath 0.

Ladbrokes League 2

Attendance- 604

COWDENBEATH warmed up for their Scottish Cup tie with Rangers against strong going Clyde and it was a really tough test.

Clyde have their eyes on the title and they made sure that the Blue Brazil knew they were in a tough game at Broadwood on Saturday.

The Bully Wee are maybe in third place in the table, but they are only three points behind leaders Edinburgh City with a game in hand so there was not going to be any easy points available for Cowden.

The Blues had Jason Talbot back on the left hand side of the defence for this one but skipper David Marsh was on the bench with Jamie Pyper and Robbie Deas in the centre of the rearguard.

They did not face Clyde’s dangerman, David Goodwillie, who was injured but they still had plenty of work to do.

The Fifers defended well as Clyde’s midfield took charge of the game for long spells and it meant that attackers Jordan Allan, David Cox and Kris Renton were starved of good chances in the first 45 minutes.

More openings appeared in the second period as players tired but the Blue Brazil could just not get a goal.

The game started with the home team looking for an early boost and John Rankin saw his shot blocked in the first minute before Kris Syvertsen saw his header drift just wide.

Cowden ‘keeper Dave McGurn saved well from a Tom Lang header following a corner and then Rankin had another decent effort which flew high and wide.

Cox caused problems for Clyde and and it took Lang to rescue the hosts by clearing from near his line after the striker had caused the danger.

Clyde threatened again on 34 minutes when Syversten saw a fierce left foot shot cleared by the compact Cowdenbeath defence but at the other end Cox again worked good space for himself only to see his shot blocked.

Seconds from the break McGurn made a neat save from a Lang header.

Cowdenbeath started the second period on the front foot and inside two minutes Cox got into a good position but shot side.

Clyde still carried danger and nine minutes into the half Mark Lamont saw his 16 yarder blocked by Pyper then McGurn had to be on the alert when he saved well from Syversten’s 10 yarder.

The Cowdenbeath defence had to be on the alert again just after the hour mark when Lamont’s 12 yarder was blocked but the goal was only delayed.

Jack Boyle’s angled ball into the box was not dealt with and Ray GRANT was lying handy to net from very close in.

Within two minutes Cox was replaced by Matt Henvey as Cowden went for a leveller but play got bogged down in midfield for a spell as Clyde looked to keep their advantage, but six minutes from timeTalbot fired in a fierce shot which just missed the top left hand corner of the net then a Robbie Deas header from the centre of the box was excellently saved by Currie.

Cowden kept searching for a goal but Clyde held on for a vital win for them.

Clyde: Currie (7); Cuddihy (7), Stewart (6) (Love 62 (3)); Lang (7), Rumsby (7), Grant (7); Boyle (7) (Nicoll 76 (3)), Rankin (8), Syvertsen (7), McStay (6), Lamont (6) (Lyon 77 (3)). Subs not used, Duffie, McNiff, Cogill and Hughes.

Cowdenbeath: Dave McGurn (7); Fraser Mullen (6), Jason Talbot (7); Jamie Pyper (7), Robbie Deas (7), Kyle Miller (6); David Cox (7) (Matt Henvey (68 (3)), Jordan Allan (6) (Blair Malcolm 83 (2)), Kris Renton (6), Gary Fraser (6), Robbie Buchanan (6) (Martin Scott 83 (2)). Subs not used, Jordyn Sheerin, David Marsh, Harvey Swann and Ryan Goodfellow.

Referee-Craig Napier (6).