THERE was no shortage of high speed action at the Cowdenbeath Racewall, on a dry and sunny Saturday evening, and as a result there were a few shunts and spills to keep the fans happy, writes Racewall scribe Jim Turner.

Chris Thomson was involved in a shunt in the bangers which resulted in his car being left perched on one of the marker tyres whilst in the Destruction Derby there were a few cars left in a very sorry state.

Bart Smeets and Steven Fawcett were welcome visitors in their Formula IIs with Chris Burgoyne, Craig Wallace and Liam Rennie, who have qualified for the World Final, amongst those in action.

In the 2 Litre Saloons Graeme Shevill picked up two wins, one when Graeme Anderson was penalised for too good a start although the latter did win heat two. James Letford brought out his new car which looks good and he managed to bring his car home at the top bend in heat two.

Paul Barron picked up two wins in the Prostocks but struggled in the second when Ian Christie won.

There were 20 BriSCA Formula II drivers in action, with Kieran Howie having his first outing of the season and the racing was a good advert for tarmac racing.

The local drivers were Gregor Turner (Dunfermline), Kieran Howie (Dunfermline), Paul and Craig Reid (Cowdenbeath), and Ian Thompson (Kennoway).

Heat one was stopped after Howie and Steven Burgoyne tangled on the pit bend and were left stranded. On the restart Turner quickly took the lead and was still clear of the pack when the flag dropped with Thompson in second and Chris Burgoyne in third with P. Reid in eighth place.

Heat two was led off by C. Reid but he was to lose out to his brother Paul. However, Turner emerged as the leader whilst behind Thompson, C. Burgoyne and Millar were running nose to tail. In the end Turner picked up his second win of the night where he again led home Thompson and C. Burgoyne with P. Reid fifth.

The final had an explosive start with Fawcett hitting the pit bend wall and collected Daniel Scrimgeour and Turner.

On the re-start P. Reid was the leader but next time around Garry Sime was leading although he soon had Thompson, Steven Burgoyne and Millar in close order. Millar got ahead of Thompson and S. Burgoyne and then began to close in on Sime.

On lap thirteen Millar took the lead but Sime was to have his spring rub against his tyre and pulled out. Millar eased away from the pack to win from S. Burgoyne and Thompson to win the Chapman Trophy with P. Reid in ninth place.

C. Burgoyne went on to win the Grand National from Craig Wallace and S. Burgoyne with Turner sixth, P. Reid seventh and Millar in eighth place.

There was a healthy field of 2 Litre National Saloons at the track with last week’s Scottish Champion Ian McLaughlin an interested spectator. Local drivers were Raymond Dick (Glenrothes), Ross Watters (Leven), Euan and Andrew Mathieson (Lochgelly) and Alex Cunningham (Leven).

The opening heat saw Graeme Anderson go charging into the lead and he was still ahead at the end of the race. However, he was adjudged to have made too good a start and was penalised handing the win to Graeme Shevill with Watters in second and the penalised Anderson in third with A. Mathieson in eighth place.

Heat two was led off by Dick but on lap six Anderson was the new leader but towards the end of the race there was a race stoppage. The Mathieson brothers made contact with each other going down the main straight with both retiring.

On the restart Anderson eased away from Cunningham to win but Watters just got ahead of Cunningham to steal second spot.

Although Dick led the cars away it was Ross Forrest how was the leader at the end of the lap and he began to pull away from the field. Anderson moved into second but then dropped down the order as the pack caught up with him.

Shevill was making up ground fast and when he moved into second place as the laps dwindled so too did the gap between the leading cars. Shevill moved into the lead on the last lap but Forrest was forced wide, hit the wall and retired.

Shevill went on to record an easy win over Paul Honeyman and Watters with E. Mathieson fifth and Dick in ninth place.

Amongst the ORCi Stock Rod drivers in action were Liam McGill (Dysart) and Stewart Paterson (Cowdenbeath), who was returning after a few years away. The racing was close, plenty of swapping places but very little contact. Local drivers included James Matson (Glenrothes), Stuart Wedderburn (Leven), David Dignan (Leven) and Michael Bethune (Kirkcaldy).

The first heat was the Gordon Ross Shield, with the drivers drawing their grid positions at the drivers' meeting.

James Gray was on pole with Dignan alongside and it was Gray who took the lead from Dignan with Wedderburn in third. However, Mark Blackie was to make contact with the wall and retired with his car emitting smoke which suspended the race.

Gray now had Michael Bethune in second with James Matson third and they continued to dice right to the very end.

Cameron Doak moved ahead of Leon Stewart with McGill making up ground from his back of the grid start. Paterson and Dignan bounced off each other but up front the dice for the lead was in full swing. A gap would appear then close but in the end Gray was to win from Bethune and Matson with lower grade drivers McGill and Dignan also picking up goodies whilst Paterson was ninth.

McGill led in heat one but then retired handing the lead to Dignan who then proceeded to maintain a gap and then go on to win from Matson, Martin Rankine, Wedderburn and Bethune.

The last Stock Rod race of the night was for the Turner Trophy and again there was plenty of close and fast racing although not for the lead. McGill made the better of the start and simply drove away from the field to record an easy win over Dignan and Rankine with Bethune in sixth and Wedderburn in eighth.

The Prostock racing was fast but dominated by Paul Barron (Cowdenbeath) with local drivers Ian Christie (Kirkcaldy) and Graham Watt (Inverkeithing) joining him in action.

Barron won the opening heat from Christie and John Mason with Watt in sixth place. In heat two Christie forced him wide and then carved his way through the field to win from Barron and John Taylor with Watt in sixth and George Barr (Buckhaven) in sixth.

The final saw Barron quickly force his way through the field and into the lead before going on to an easy win over Christie and Mason with Watt in seventh place.

The 2 Litre Banger drivers were in good form with numerous shunts and spins throughout the meeting.

Callum Campbell went on to win the opening heat from Jon Taylor and Lee Kopacz. However, in heat two Kopacz was running ahead of Campbell when the two cars ahead of him spun and whilst he got caught up managed to keep going to win from Danny McMullan and Sean McConnachie.

Campbell went on to win the final from McConnachie and Brian Youngson whilst Taylor smashed his way to a Destruction Derby win.

This Saturday the Formula IIs are back with the Classic Hot Rods, the 1300 Saloons, the Ministox and the Micro F2s. The Classic Hot Rods are racing for the Joan Purdie Memorial Trophy whilst the 1300 Saloons, Ministox and Micro F2s have their Turner Trophy up for grabs. The meeting starts at 5.45pm