“DID I win,” was the comment from Ian McLaughlin after one of the most exciting finishes to a Scottish Championship for quite some time, writes Racewall scribe Jim Turner.

Unfortunately in the last bend challenge Ian was knocked out with his car coming to rest against the wall at the end of the straight.

After being presented with his trophy Ian was checked over at the hospital where it was found out he had a broken collar bone, a bone in his shoulder and two broken ribs!

It certainly was a dramatic finish to a race but spare a thought for Ross Watters who twice had built up a useful lead only to see it disappear after incidents which brought out the yellow flags.

Connor St Aubyn was caught up in a last lap incident in his Micro F2 and rolled whilst in second spot and there were plenty of other incidents in their races.

It was a similar story in the Prostock Basics races with numerous shunts and spins which left some cars looking sorry for themselves. Jordan Williams was out in the hire Charity car where the proceeds were for Ford Care.

Chris Burgoyne dominated the Formula II racing winning both the heats and then the final to set himself up for Sunday’s World Championship Semi-Final at Barford.

The 2 Litre National Saloon Scottish Championship was the feature race of the night with the drivers drawing their grid position at the drivers briefing. Local drivers in action were Euan and Andrew Mathieson (Lochgelly), Raymond Dick (Glenrothes), Kyle Irvine (Glenrothes) and Ross Watters (Leven).

The front row paired Barry Russell on pole with Holly Glen alongside, and Paul Honeyman and Watters were on row two behind whilst McLaughlin was on the outside of row 6.

As the tension began to grow the cars started their slow warm-up lap and then they were away with Glen making a fast start to go straight into the lead. Russell was next to appear with Watters on his back bumper. Jamie Reid spun as did Aaryn Triggs. Watters shoved Russell wide to take the lead with Russell immediately coming under pressure from Paul Honeyman and when they drifted wide E. Mathieson dived inside to move into second.

Watters was easing away whilst Jason Secker lost ground when he was eased wide and clipped the wall. Watters was moving away from the pack and soon had a commanding lead. E. Mathieson was caught by McLaughlin and then the following lap by Graeme Shevill, dropping to fifth. However, when E. Mathieson was clipped he hit the wall and the car slowed stopping half way down the straight. The race was suspended to allow his car to be moved with the field lining up behind Watters who had a couple of back markers between him and McLaughlin.

Watters made most of the situation when the race re-started with McLaughlin running with Shevill and Luke Grief in close order. However, much to Watters' dismay Ross Forrest’s car slowed and stopped bring about another race suspension.

With the atmosphere electric Watters made another good re-start and was shown the 4 lap to go board as he crossed the line. McLaughlin began to catch him and going into the turnstile bend dived inside Watters with Greg Honeyman spinning.

The dice for the lead was getting more intense with the defending champion Kyle Irvine catching the leading group, Shevill moved into second relegating Watters to third and as they started the last lap it was anyone’s race. As the cars started the last lap Shevill got alongside and was ahead as they entered the turnstile bend but as they charged down the back straight McLaughlin, who was on the inside, moved to the front.

McLaughlin was ahead on the back straight but Watters made a big lunge going into the pit bend for the last time with spectacular results. Watters clipped McLaughlin and as he did so he got alongside Shevill, who crashed and rode the wall and all but rolled. McLaughlin bounced hard into the wall but carried on whilst Grief was collected by Shevill and spun as did Watters.

McLaughlin used the wall and just got to the finish line a fraction before Irvine who somehow missed the spinning cars with Secker claiming third after having been sixth going into the last bend whilst Watters ended up in tenth place

Unfortunately McLaughlin’s recollection was a bit hazy about what was going on but he celebrated his win with his family before heading to hospital for a check up.

The first heat saw Marc Honeyman go through to win from Triggs and Secker with Irvine fifth, A. Mathieson ninth and Watters in tenth place. The second heat saw M. Honeyman and Tam Rutherford Jnr fall out with Graeme Anderson taking his recently acquired car to a win where he led home P. Honeyman, Secker and Watters.

With the Formula II semi-finals being staged the following day at Barford there was a smaller than usual turn out of cars.

Local drivers in action were Paul and Craig Reid (Cowdenbeath). Whilst Chris Burgoyne had a good meeting Adam Blacklock, a semi-finalist, blew an engine in practice and his spare was plagued by a misfire throughout the meeting.

Burgoyne went through to win the opening heat from Euan Millar and Robbie Dawson with P. Reid sixth and C. Reid in eighth. Whilst heat two was again dominated by Burgoyne he had Millar snapping at his heels whilst long time leader Daniel Scrimgeour had to settle for third spot with P. Reid again in sixth and C. Reid eighth.

Blair Anderson led the final until around the half distance when Scrimgeour moved into the lead. However, he couldn’t fend off Burgoyne who went through to make it three wins on the trot from Millar and Dawson with P. Reid again in sixth but C. Reid was ninth.

Millar then won the Grand National from Dawson and P. Reid with C. Reid in sixth.

The Ministox drivers were in good form as usual with local drivers being Jay Paterson (Saline), Scott Allardyce (Anstruther), Michael Mitchell (Lochgelly) and Jay Carruthers (Kirkcaldy).

Declan Honeyman drove through to win the Track Shop Shield from Sean Naismith, Logan Bruce and Mitchell with Allardyce sixth.

The first heat saw Mitchell take the win from Barry Scott and Naismith. Allardyce then came out on top in heat two where he led home Mitchell, Naismith and Paterson.

There was another good turn out of the Prostock Basic cars which included Jordan and Graeme Dignan (Leven), Callum Sturrock (saline), Connor Jones (Cowdenbeath), David Izatt (East Wemyss) and Justin Gold (Dunfermline).

Kieran Edgar won the opening heat from Dougie Ford, Ryan Burden and Jones with Izatt eighth and Gold ninth. Craig Warner and Jones tangled on the turnstile bend before Ford then came out on top from Sturrock and Dignan with Wilson seventh. Ford ended up winning the final from. Dignan and Sturrock with Izatt eighth but a five car shunt on the last lap eliminated a few of the front runners.

The Micro F2 drivers turned up in their numbers and served up three action packed races with Local drivers being Connor St. Aubyn (Glenrothes), Nicole Allardyce (Anstruther) and Lennon Cuthill (Glenrothes) on the grid.

In the opening heat Todd Anderson went through to win from Kyle Rogerson and Alfie Key but on the last lap St. Aubyn managed to roll his car whilst sitting in second place. Kara Russell pipped St. Aubyn for the win on the line with Callan Walker third. Ross McLaughlin then won heat three where he led home Russell and Freya Lovett with St Aubyn ninth..

This Saturday the Formula IIs are back in action with the Chapman Trophy up for grabs with the 2 Litre saloons, ORCi stock Rods, 2 Litre Bangers and Prostocks. The stock rods are racing for the Gordon Ross Shield and the Turner Trophy. The meeting starts as usual at 6.00pm.

*At Barford on Sunday the Formula II World Championship Semi-finals were staged with Gordon Moodie (Windygates) winning the first semi with Craig Wallace (Tranent) third, Liam Rennie (Dundee ) fourth and Robbie Dawson (Aberdeen) fifth. Chris Burgoyne (Airth) won the second semi two, with Rennie finishing third in the final Moodie starts the World Final at Bristol from pole position

* The British Championship Stephen McCready won from Leon Stewart, Cameron Doak, Lee McGill, Michael Bethune and Stuart Wedderburn.