THE wet weather of Saturday saw Dundonald Bluebell’s Super League game at Moorside with Forfar West End called off but the other local sides all saw action but with only Crossgates Primrose and Hill of Beath Hawthorn collecting points.

Meanwhile Kelty Hearts made it 20 East of Scotland League wins in a row but they had to work for it.

Broughty Athletic 3,

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 3.

A TREMENDOUS fightback by Hill of Beath gave them a deserved Super League point on Tayside.

The Haws found themselves 3-1 down with less than 15 minutes to go but came back strongly to get a draw.

Yet the visitors made a great start to the game and in ten minutes a move involving Kevin Connors and Daniel Watt saw Russell Grierson burst into the Broughty box where he was hauled down and Darrin Wright made a great finish of the spot kick.

Haws looked comfortable and were seeking a second goal when in 25 minutes Broughty hit back with a good move which opened up the visiting defence and the game was level, then ten minutes later the hosts took the lead when a well placed header beat Stuart Hall.

That was how it stood at the interval and although Haws made a good start to the second period, on the hour they found themselves two goals adrift.

A couple of changes from the bench perked up the Hill of Beath challenge and in 76 minutes a superb Connors 15 yarder pulled a goal back and set up a grand finale.

The visitors were bossing the ball but a couple of good chances were missed, then with the game going into time added on a Shaun Leishman cross was gathered by Ian Patrick but as he was about to shoot he was hauled down.

Another penalty and another fine finish from the spot by Wright secured the draw and keeps Haws in 11th spot on 22 points but with several games in hand.

Hill of Beath boss Kevin Fotheringham was pleased with the way his team came roaring back into the game: “We struggled a bit in the first-half but after the break we dominated possession and created some good chances.

“With all the injuries coach Darrin Wright has had to play recently and he was a stand out today at 39 years of age and stuck these penalties away superbly.

“However, we have not had a win for a while and we have to look to beat Broxburn at Keirs Park this Saturday.”

Edinburgh United 6,

Lochgelly Albert 0.

THE worst Berts performance of the season saw them well beaten in the capital.

The second top team in the South Division carved them open time and time again while at the other end nothing much happened.

Lochgelly went to United knowing that they could send a strong message to their opponents for if they won all their games in hand they would go above them but from the first minute they did not perform.

That was when Edinburgh took the lead when some ordinary defending was punished.

There was some hope for Lochgelly after ten minutes when David Perrie saw a chance but his shot went just wide then five minutes later United doubled their lead.

Lochgelly’s midfield and defence were second best throughout and goals in 33 and 36 minutes made it 4-0 at half-time.

The second period saw United take their foot off the pedal a bit but still the Berts could not mount a comeback and the hosts went nap in 75 minutes.

A sixth goal two minutes later made it six and leaves Lochgelly well down the table, albeit with games in hand.

Kirkcaldy YM 0,

Crossgates Primrose 9.

PRIMROSE got the result they were looking for after a couple of South Division defeats and the bottom side posed them no problems at all.

It has been an awful season for YM yet in the opening quarter of an hour they battled away and even created a couple of half chances, but once Kyle Brand opened the scoring in 17 minutes after a good Crossgates move, chances started to come for the visitors.

Two minutes later Scott Hynd added a second and the YM defenders were already starting to flag.

When Dale Allan struck in 27 and 29 minutes things were starting to look pretty bleak for the home side and in 33 minutes he completed his hat-trick, probably one of the quickest trebles in the club’s history!

But there were more goals before the break with Mark Wilkie and Chris Hughes making the interval score 7-0.

Crossgates came out for the second period looking to add more to their tally but to be fair YM managed to stem the flow a bit but Hynd added an eighth just after the hour and then Mark McKenzie made it 9-0 in 66 minutes.

There were other good chances for Primrose but they could not get ten although the result keeps then in sixth spot and with a chance of making the top four.

Luncarty 4,

Lochore Welfare 0.

A DISAPPOINTING day for the Welfare who found North Division promotion chasers Luncarty in a goal hungry mood.

Lying fifth the home side know that with six games in hand they can be very much involved in the mix at the top of the table come May and they started the game positively.

Lochore had to defend well but when they lost the opener before the break it looked as if their belief they could win the game started to fade.

There were chances for the Welfare but a second Luncarty goal early in the second period meant that the visitors were in trouble.

Luncarty posed the young Lochore side a lot of questions and while they found answers to some of them a third goal put the game out of sight for the hosts.

Lochore kept trying to get a goal back but on the day their finishing was not as sharp as in recent games and a fourth goal tied up the points for Luncarty.

Welfare boss Andy Healy admitted that Luncarty were a sharp unit: "We started the game well but in the end we were well beaten by a very good side."

Hearts work hard to wear down the Students

Heriot Watt University 0,

Kelty Hearts 3.

HERIOT Watt worked really hard in this East of Scotland League game to keep the high scoring Hearts in check and for spells in the game the plan worked.

Yet Kelty started the game positively and the Students had to defend well and they defied several raids by the league leaders.

The longer the game went without a goal Heriot Watt's confidence grew, however, the opener came seconds from the interval for Hearts with a header at the back post from Errol Douglas which left the ‘keeper stranded.

But the Students did not let that get them down and they defended in depth and still had the chance to pose the visitors once or two problems at the other end in the second-half.

The good work by Heriot Watt saw them very much in the picture at the break and in the second period Hearts were desperate to get the key second goal.

Some great defensive work again defied them but eventually something had to give and a good move saw Stuart Cargill grab number two.

Heriot Watt kept looking for a goal but Scott Christie was not overworked and Cargill popped up to add number three to make it 20 straight East of Scotland League wins.

Hearts boss Thomas Courts was pleased with the day’s work and tweeted: “What a game of football. Great standard served up by both sides, but we were on it and deserved the win.”

Saturday’s fixtures: East Super League, Hill of Beath Hawthorn v Broxburn Athletic, Dundonald Bluebell v Lochee United. South Division, Lochgelly Albert v West Calder United, Crossgates Primrose v Stoneyburn. North Division, Lochore Welfare v Lochee Harp.

East of Scotland League, Kelty Hearts v Leith Athletic (all games 2.30).