Cowdenbeath 1, Stirling Albion 2.

Ladbrokes League 2


PROMOTION chasing Stirling claimed all three points, at Central Park on Saturday, but it was hard luck on the home side who were in the match all the way.

For the second successive home game a strong wind dominated proceedings but both teams managed to play some good football.

Cowden had Bryan Gilfillan playing as a trialist, before signing after the match, and he marshalled the home defence well while Matt McInally also was effective, but against the elements in the second period they were caught out as the midfield started to wilt a little.

Cowdenbeath’s strike force found it hard going against the Albion defence but there were a couple of good chances that were not converted, with Aiden Malone missing from a very good position early in the match.

As the referee began to lose the place a little after the break three penalties were awarded and 13 yellow cards given, two of the spot-kicks to Stirling and one to the hosts, to heighten the entertainment value.

In 18 minutes Albion striker Peter MacDonald tested Dave McGurn with a 12 yard header then Darren Barr’s 18 yarder was held by the ‘keeper.

But in 24 minutes Cowdenbeath had the best chance so far when David Cox set up Malone only 14 yards out with just the ‘keeper to beat but the striker somehow sclaffed his shot wide.

Two minutes from the interval whistle a home move involving Robbie Buchanan and Cox saw a fine pass to Smith but he could not apply the finishing touch.

Two minutes into the second period Cox appeared to be flattened by Ewan McNeil in the Albion box but the referee waved play on then in 51 minutes Buchanan beat two defenders 16 yards out but a brave Barr tackle kept his left foot shot out.

Then in 64 minutes Albion missed a penalty after Blair Malcolm nudged Ross Kavanagh in the penalty box but McGurn dived to save Darren Smith’s penalty kick and at the other end sub Ben Reilly tested Binnie with a low 18 yarder.

But six minutes later Albion got a second spot-kick. Scott Rumsby fouled Smith as he tried to round McGurn and this time MacDONALD fired the ball past the home ‘keeper.

Then in 80 minutes Cowden levelled when Gilfillan was pushed at a corner and Harvey SWANN blasted the spot kick past Binnie.

But within six minutes the promotion chasers were back in front. A midfield mistake by the Fifers saw sub Neil McLaughlin burst clear and his cross was swept into the net by MacDonald from 10 yards range to leave Cowden beaten yet again.

Cowdenbeath: Dave McGurn (7); Matt McInally (6), Harvey Swann (6); Bryan Gilfillan (7), Scott Rumsby (7), Kyle Miller (6); David Cox (7), Blair Malcolm (6), Aiden Malone (6) (Ben Reilly 46 (6)), Brad Smith (7) (Davd Syme 78 (3)), Robbie Buchanan (6). Subs not used, Jordan Hornby, Mark Fotheringham, Brandon Luke, Cammy Muirhead and Blair Penman.

Stirling Albion: Binnie (7); McGeachie (6), Hamilton (7); McNeill (6), Barr (7), Moon (7) (Stranger 74 (3)); Kavanagh (7) (Black 87 (2)), Jardine (7), MacDonald (7), D Smith (7), Robertson (6) (McLaughlin 82 (2)). Subs not used: Banner, R Smith, Caddis and Fallon.

Referee- Peter Stuart (6).