A DRIVER with no licence who hit speeds of 106 mph while trying to escape from the police in a car chase has still not completed his unpaid work more than five years after the incident.

Daniel Morrison was a teenager when his “appalling” offence occurred, he is now 24 as he returned to Dunfermline Sheriff Court to be sentenced again.

He managed to avoid a jail term the first time and did so again despite having done less than half of the 300 hours imposed on him for offences committed in 2018.

Defence solicitor Aime Allan said: “He knows he’s in a difficult position. He’s had a difficult time and was homeless but now he's found stable accommodation.

READ MORE: Football fan from Oakley admits trying to invade the pitch at Hampden

“He’s buried his head in the sand. There’s been a degree of immaturity in how he’s dealt with the order.”

Central Fife Times: Morrison was back at Dunfermline Sheriff Court, more than five years after the driving offence. Morrison was back at Dunfermline Sheriff Court, more than five years after the driving offence. (Image: Newsquest)

Morrison, of Cross Street, Dysart, sped from town to town, went around a roundabout in the wrong direction, drove on the wrong side of roads and slammed on his brakes trying to cause a police car to collide with him.

The high-speed chase took him past Cowdenbeath, Mossmorran, through Burntisland and Aberdour before he was brought to a halt by police in Dalgety Bay.

Morrison, who had a female passenger with him, was told by a sheriff he had put lives of the public at risk with his “appalling” driving when he should not have been behind the wheel in the first place.

He admitted offences on 28th December 2018 on various roads including the A92 between Lochgelly and Cowdenbeath, the A909 near Mossmorran, the B9157 Orrick Quarry road, the A909 Bernard Smiddy road, High Street, Lothian Street, Kirkton Road, all Burntisland, the A921 Aberdour to Dalgety Bay road and Moray Way South, the Eastern Access Road and Regents Way, all Dalgety Bay.

He drove a car dangerously and repeatedly drove in excess of speed limits, applied his brakes in an attempt to cause a police vehicle pursuing him to collide with him, drove on the wrong side of the road, negotiated a roundabout in the wrong direction, collided with another police vehicle, mounted a verge and collided with a fence, whereby the police vehicle and fence were damaged.

He also admitted he drove without holding a licence and had no insurance.

He further admitted failing to turn up for a previous court appearance.

At the original sentencing, Sheriff James MacDonald told Morrison: “This was truly appalling driving.”

He added: “We could have been dealing with the loss of life.”

He imposed a community payback order with two years’ supervision and 300 hours of unpaid work. Morrison was also banned from driving for four years.

When Morrison returned to court for breaching the order, Sheriff Francis Gill imposed a new one with 200 hours of unpaid work and 12 months of supervision.