A FORMER Kelty Hearts player who carried out a campaign of abuse against his partner has been banned from contacting her for 10 years.

Jordon Forster, 29, was described as "violent and controlling" during his stormy year-long relationship with his now ex-girlfriend.

He was described as being "out of control" during one incident where he was left bloodied after angrily smashing his head against a door.

The footballer, who left Kelty at the end of last season and has also played for Hibs and Dundee, started arguments with her, "restrained her and threw her onto a bed", checked messages on her phone while she was sleeping and, after they broke up, he stalked her and drove up and down her street and turned up at her work, "begging for them to get back together".

He was eventually arrested when a concerned neighbour contacted the police after overhearing "a disturbance" between the couple at his home in Gorebridge, Midlothian, in December last year.

At Edinburgh Sheriff Court last month, the footballer admitted engaging in a course of conduct that was abusive of his ex-partner between May and December last year.

He returned to the dock for sentencing yesterday (Thursday), where a sheriff described his behaviour as "completely unacceptable" and issued him with a 10-year non-harassment order banning him from having any contact with the woman.

Sheriff Kenneth Campbell ordered Forster to be placed under the supervision of the social work department for two years and said he must carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

The 6ft 2in defender was also told to attend sessions with the domestic abuse organisation the Caledonian Men's Programme.

Solicitor Ms Malone told the court that her client had turned to using alcohol following his football career coming to an end but that he "accepts full responsibility" for his actions.

Fiscal depute Abbie McKerlie said Forster and the woman were in a relationship for about 12 months but split up in October last year due to "the accused's behaviour".

Ms McKerlie said: "[The woman] described the accused to be violent and controlling during the relationship.

"She would go for nights out with friends and the accused would start arguments with her on her return.

"On an occasion he got so angry that he punched a wall and a door in his house.

"[The woman] tried several times throughout the year to end the relationship; however, the accused would drive up and down her street and attend outside her place of work begging for them to get back together.

"This behaviour made her feel uncomfortable and unsafe."

The fiscal said Forster "restrained her and threw her onto a bed" while the pair were on holiday in Cyprus and she was said to have been heard "screaming at the accused to stop".

He was also caught checking the woman's phone after she had fallen asleep following a night out with her friends.

She was woken up by Forster "shouting and calling her derogatory names" during the incident in October last year.

The woman ended the relationship again the following month but was left feeling "unsettled" after spotting him "driving past her home address and attending at her place of work".

The fiscal said that on one occasion in December last year, Forster "became very angry" and pushed and seized the woman on the body and carried her back to a bedroom.

Ms McKerlie added: "His behaviour became so out of control that he hit his head off the hallway door, causing damage to the door and also cuts to his forehead."

Forster played 79 times for Hibs between 2012 and 2017 and had loan spells with Berwick Rangers, East Fife and Plymouth Argyle before moving on to play for Cheltenham Town and Dundee.

He moved to Scottish League One side Kelty Hearts in the summer of 2021 and made 57 appearances, with his last game for the club a 1-1 draw against Airdrie in January.

His contract expired and Forster left at the end of the 2022-23 season. Forster signed to play for Lowland League club Tranent but was sacked without playing a match following a public backlash.