A RAPIST from Lochgelly who claimed he could not come to court as he had lost his bus ticket has been jailed for three years.

Gordon McKay, 22, of Lumphinnans Road, took advantage of a 30-year-old woman while she was asleep at his house on December 19, 2020.

He should have stood trial in Livingston in January and had been on bail, having been charged not long after the attack.

But his lawyer Colin Neilson told the High Court in Glasgow today: "He said that he had been given a bus ticket by social work, but had then lost it.

"After losing the ticket, he was trying to get money from friends, but no one would help him.

"He basically gave up before police turned up and arrested him."

It prolonged the ordeal for his victim with the trial eventually taking place in May.

Today, McKay was convicted of rape and was sentenced by Judge Alistair Watson.

He had pleaded guilty to the failure to appear as well as stealing money and tobacco.

The judge told McKay: "You are assessed as a potentially significant risk to adult females.

"You appear to me to meet the test for an extended sentence.

"It occurred to me during the trial that you are an immature young man, who will inevitably continue to offend unless you accept appropriate support and intervention.

"Had you been a more mature individual, I would have imposed a significantly longer custodial term."

The trial at the High Court in Livingston in May heard that McKay had only met the victim a few days before the attack, which started while she was asleep.

He continued to sexually assault the woman after she wakened, ignoring her pleas to stop.

He was charged with removing the woman’s underwear while she was asleep and incapable of giving or withholding her consent, seizing her by the body, turning her onto her back and raping her.

The victim revealed she was homeless at the time and had been staying with the accused for a short while.

In court she said he raped her after they had both consumed drink and drugs during a three day binge.

McKay had denied rape and lodged a special defence that his victim had consented to sexual intercourse.

The jury rejected his defence and found him guilty of committing the offence against her in his home.

The judge said McKay, whose name was added to the sex offenders register, will be supervised for a further three years on his release.

Defence advocate Mr Neilson said: "His position remains the same as at trial in that he continues to deny his guilt."