COLIN Jack has not ruled out seeking to land the vacant Cowdenbeath manager's role full-time after taking up interim charge.

While his immediate attention is focused on recording a victory against Dalbeattie Star this weekend, he will assess his position at the end of the season.

Speaking to the Times, he said: "My immediate ambition is to get a team together to win at Dalbeattie Star on Saturday, and then finish the season strongly, and see where that takes us.”

His first game in temporary charge was the goalless draw with East Stirlingshire, keeping Cowden in 15th place.

Dalbeattie Star is the first of four final games before the season comes to its conclusion.

"Our aim has to be to convert our chances in this one and win it," he stated.

“I am under no illusions that it will be anything other than a hard game, for they are battling for their lives in the league and will come at us strongly, but if we play with the same assuredness as at East Stirlingshire and we finish well, we can certainly win it.

“If we can finish the season with a few wins we could improve our position in the table and that has to be our ambition."

Young midfielder Callum Murray made his debut at the Falkirk Stadium on Saturday and produced an impressive performance which pleased Jack and he will get another chance to impress at Dalbeattie.

Also back in the squad will be experienced midfielder Andy Black, who is back in full training, and Mackenzie Williamson may get the nod to start after coming on to cause the opposition problems at the weekend.

On the match with East Stirlingshire, Jack reflected: "It was another game where we could have got the goals that would have given us the three points.

“We played some nice stuff and created chances but we need to be more clinical with our finishing.

“They have been on a good run of results, so to have the better of possession was a positive aspect, but we wanted all three points.”

Maurice Ross watched his old club from the stand as Cowdenbeath drew in Jack's first game in temporary charge.

Former Blue Brazil boss Ross departed Central Park last Thursday night with Jack leading the team for Saturday's 0-0 stalemate with East Stirlingshire.

Jack made several changes following the last game Ross spent in the dugout, a 4-0 humbling at home to Berwick Rangers.

After the lapses at the back against Berwick, this was a more robust performance defensively from the Blues, although hitting the net remained a problem. 

It was not until the 22nd minute that either side had a meaningful attempt on target, when Shire’s Niyah Joseph fired in a long range shot which was held by Danny Farrell. 

A minute later a Scott Walker corner was cleared by the ‘Shire defence and from another flag-kick an Iain Davidson header was caught by keeper Ross Connelly. 

The keeper then saved from a Lucas Berry header before Sam Newman cut in and saw his shot deflected for a corner. 

Debut boy Callum Murray then sent a shot wide and soon after, Newman delivered a cross to Jack Garrad who saw his close range attempt blocked by Connelly’s foot. 

Then five minutes from the break Stuart Love latched onto a long ball but sent his shot high over the bar. 

In the 50th minute Murray had another chance from the edge of the box which went over the bar, and five minutes later Dan Watt was denied by Connelly. 

A Walker corner then reached Sam Young who headed over, while on the hour mark the ‘Shire had the best opportunity of the afternoon to break the deadlock, when a defensive error allowed Joseph a shot on goal which was blocked by Farrell, with Tyler Denholm dragging the follow-up wide. 

Love was the next player to lay siege on the home goal with Connelly turning his shot around the post, and soon after he saved from a 20-yard drive from sub Scott Sinclair. 

At the other end Farrell saved from Shaun Brown and with six minutes to go Sinclair sent a long diagonal cross to fellow sub Mackenzie Williamson, who sent his header just past the post after beating the keeper to the ball. 

Sinclair then fired another 20 yard shot wide with three minutes remaining, and with the last touch of the game a Williamson header, from a Walker corner, was held by Connelly as the tie ended as it started.