Hill of Beath Hawthorn 1 Elgin City 2

HAWS came so close to keeping their historic Scottish Cup run going when they took on Elgin City at Keirs Park on Saturday.

On a day of upsets in the tournament, which saw Drumchapel United and Darvel knock out FC Edinburgh and Montrose respectively, Hill of Beath had their League Two opponents on the ropes for long spells of this third round tie.

A crowd of 550 saw the home side take an early lead but two goals from Elgin saw them go behind.

It looked like another shock was on the cards when City were reduced to 10 men and the Haws were given a penalty when Angus Mailer saw red after fouling Ross Allum in the box.

Allum took the spot kick himself but was left with head in hands when the ball struck the crossbar and rebounded to safety.

The Fifers kept battling hard and there were chances to take the tie to extra-time but Elgin held on for the win.

Haws boss, Jason Dair, was proud of his team’s performance: “We posed them a lot of problems throughout most of the game, but strangely enough, when they had 10 men in the closing stages, we were unable to create many clear cut chances as they tried to choke the game.

“However, the lads did really well against an SPFL side and have made club history by getting to the third round of the Scottish Cup for the first time, something to remember.”

Hill of Beath got off to a flying start and took the lead in eight minutes when the City defence were caught out by a neat home move and Ryan CONNELLY blasted a right foot shot into the net.

Moments later midfielder Brandon Luke saw his 20 yard drive blocked.

Elgin fought their way back into the tie and levelled in the 20th minute when Brian Cameron’s pass found Russell DINGWALL who showed great skill to fire the ball past Stuart Hall from the edge of the box.

Haws rallied and Luke forced a fine save from ‘keeper Thomas McHale, but on the half hour City went ahead.

Danger man Kane HESTER was given too much space and from 10 yards out his shot flew wide of Hall.

There was drama just five minutes into the second half when Mailer was sent off for a bad foul in the box on Allum.

The regular penalty taker, Allum beat the keeper but his effort thumped back off the bar.

Hill of Beath poured forward and Lyle Kellichan’s shot was spectacularly saved by McHale, but at the other end Dingwall almost made it three when he poked the ball inches wide.

Dair's men kept at it but Elgin defended well and saw out four minutes of time added on to get through to the next round and end Haws’ historic run.

Hill of Beath Hawthorn: Hall; Leishman, Baur (Dair 77), Mitchell, Fleming, Galloway, Luke, Moret (Payne 63), Connelly, Allum (Adamson 63), Kellichan. Subs not used, Harley, MacLachlan, Quinn and Donaldson.

Elgin City: McHale, Dolzanski, Draper (Anderson 67), McHardy, Mailer, Findlay (Cairns 58), MacEwan, Dingwall, Hester (Lawrence), Cameron, Nicolson. Subs not used, Antioniazzi, MacInnes, Sopel, Allen and Dunn.

Referee: Greg Soutar.