PREMIER League victories for Hill of Beath Hawthorn and Dundonald Bluebell were the highlights of Saturday’s East of Scotland programme.

While the Lochore Welfare v Preston Athletic First Division match was postponed at Central Park, Crossgates Primrose came back from Broxburn with a Premier League point but Lochgelly Albert’s poor run in the Second Division continued at home to Stirling University.

Musselburgh Athletic 1

Dundonald Bluebell 2

THREE hard earned points for the ‘Bell, but Musselburgh are always awkward opponents at Olive Bank and they grabbed an early lead in this one.

After a bright start by Dundonald, the ‘Burgh broke up the park after 12 minutes and took the lead.

The Bluebell didn’t panic and put together some good moves but were frustrated by the last pass going astray.

Then came the equaliser when Daryl Healy set up Lewis McKenzie 17 yards out and his fine shot flew into the net.

The Bluebell kept attacking and before half-time took the lead when a long throw into the ‘Burgh box fell to Healy and smart finishing gave the home ‘keeper no chance.

The second period saw Musselburgh try to re-establish themselves, but Dundonald kept looking the more dangerous side and Regan Lumsden came close to a third when cut inside and fired a shot inches over the bar.

‘Burgh saw a lot of the ball but did not create many good chances and some solid defending ensured the points were going back to Moorside Park.

‘Bell boss, Stephen Husband, was very pleased with this away success: “There was a great reaction from the lads at conceding the first goal against the run of play and they created some really good chances.

“The second-half saw a really professional performance from us by keeping the ball well and limiting Musselburgh’s chances, and at the same time creating some good openings ourselves”.

Bluebell also drew 1-1 away to Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale last night (Wednesday).

Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale 1

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 2

A LIGHTNING start to this Premier League match, in Edinburgh, by the Haws opened the door for them to move out of the bottom three.

There was only one minute on the clock when Lewis Payne opened the Hill of Beath account. In the first move of the match the ball fell to Ryan Connelly who was hauled down in the box and Payne made an expert job of the spot-kick.

Then two minutes later the Thistle defence got into a fankle when a ball down the right found Payne and he struck again when he beat a man 18 yards out and sent a fine shot wide of the ‘keeper.

But in nine minutes Thistle pulled one back when a long ball was misjudged by the Haws’ defence and a shot hit the net via a post.

After the hectic start things cooled down and there were few chances for either side and at the break the single goal separated the sides.

There was a major set-back for Hill of Beath, ten minutes into the second period, when a second yellow saw midfielder Brandon Luke sent-off and this gave Thistle hope.

But the Haws’ midfield and defence worked hard and visiting ‘keeper, Stuart Hall, was not overworked with chances few, despite Lothian having a lot of the ball.

There were one or two half chances for the visitors but they were happy to manage the game out for a win which takes them out of the bottom three of the table with games in hand.

Hill of Beath manager, Jason Dair, was happy with the way his side went about handling a tricky away fixture: “It was an amazing start to the game and we played really well in the first-half.

“Losing Brandon Luke early in the second period was a big blow, but the team rallied well and saw things out.

“Consecutive wins has boosted the players’ confidence levels but we need to win a few more league games before the Scottish Cup tie with Forfar at the end of November.”

The Haws also drew 3-3 in a pulsating Premier Division tie with Linlithgow Rose on Tuesday night.

Broxburn Athletic 1

Crossgates Primrose 1

A SOLID performance from the Primrose saw them return from the Lothians with a well earned point.

The first period saw both defences looked very well organised with clear cut chances fairly limited.

Broxburn did pose a few problems though and Sean Robertson had to make a couple of good stops, but at the other end Archie Campbell and Mark McKenzie went close to opening the scoring.

Goalless at the break, the second-half started with drama when veteran Brian Ritchie was in the perfect spot to fire Crossgates ahead.

However, the visitors were down to ten men eight minutes later when John Ward was ordered off and then in 57 minutes Broxburn equalised.

The hosts fancied their chances of picking up all three points, but Primrose defended solidly and when they did get through Robertson stopped their efforts.

At the other end Cammy Dow and David Cross went close but over the piece a draw was a fair result.

Crossgates also beat Tynecastle 2-0 on the road on Tuesday night.

Lochgelly Albert 0

Stirling University 2

THE Berts’ losing run in the Second Division continued with this narrow loss to the Students.

There was little in the game in the first period with neither side having many clearcut chances, but Pat Armour came close to a goal for Lochgelly with a fine header which went close.

The Albert started the second-half well with new centre-back, Mikey Gibb, martialling the defence, but an error in 52 minutes, when a Stirling raid was not properly cleared, saw a rebound swept into the net.

Lochgelly immediately went on the attack and Lee Celentano twice went close to getting an equaliser, before Stevie Stark saw his header superbly saved.

The University forced there way through a couple of times, but home ‘keeper Gregor Brown saved well, and then at the other end Gibb went on a run and saw his shot saved.

The game looked like it could go either way, then with 19 minutes to go Stirling got the key second and held on to take the win which leaves the Berts second bottom on five points from 13 games.

Albert committee man, Derek Patrick, felt it was a much better performance from the side: “We were defending well throughout the first period but gave away a bad goal at the start of the second.

“However, the lads kept battling and twice went close to equalising only to lose a late second, so we have to look to start winning over the next two weeks, against Ormiston and Hawick, to get back on the rails.”

Fixtures: Saturday - East of Scotland Premier League - Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts v Hill of Beath Hawthorn 2pm, Dundonald Bluebell v Crossgates Primrose 2.30pm.

East of Scotland First Division - Kirkcaldy and Dysart v Lochore Welfare 2pm. Second Division - Ormiston Primrose v Lochgelly Albert 2pm.