HILL of Beath Hawthorn made club history on Saturday by making the Third Round of the Scottish Cup for the first time.

And they did it in the most difficult of ways, playing the last quarter of the game with ten men, but they battled through at Newtongrange despite losing Michael Watt just after they had gone ahead.

Elsewhere Crossgates Primrose strengthened their position with an away win in the Premier League, while Dundonald Bluebell made local cup progress, but it was another difficult day for both Lochore Welfare and Lochgelly Albert.

Scottish Cup Second Round:

Newtongrange Star 0

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 1

A BATTLING Haws performance saw them make the potentially lucrative third round of the Scottish Cup, but having to play the last half hour with ten men saw them needing to show real character to beat Newtongrange.

The ‘Nitten’ have had a good start to the season currently lying in second place in the First Division and in the first period they posed their Premier League opponents some problems.

The respective defences dominated proceedings in the first 45 and chances were few but the best of these fell to Hill of Beath when Ross Allum got clear of the Nitten defence but he was defied by a brave save by the Star ‘keeper.

The second-half saw both defences continue to dominate the attacks but in 63 minutes Lyle Kellichan got the ball over from the left and Allum was lying handy to volley home.

But soon after Mikey Watt picked up a second yellow and this gave the home side hope.

However, the Haws defended well and there were only a couple of half chances for Star which ‘keeper Stuart Hall dealt with.

Late on Calum Adamson got through and it took good defending to keep him out but the Haws were in to the third round draw.

Manager Jason Dair said: “It was very even in the first-half, but losing Mikey Watt meant the lads had to work even harder to manage the game out but that they did well.

“Reaching the third round of the Scottish Cup, where the Championship and League 1 teams come in, lifts the profile of the club and will improve our finances.

“However, between now and the tie, on November 26, we have a lot of important league games which we need to take points from to improve our position in the East of Scotland Premier Division.”

The Haws will learn their Third Round fate as the draw is made on Monday at 4pm.

Blackburn United 2

Crossgates Primrose 3

THE Primrose maintained their close connection with the top of the Premier League with this victory against strugglers United.

In saying that Blackburn started the game positively and searched for an early goal, but the Primrose defence was solid, while Crossgates found it difficult to carve out too many clear chances.

However, eight minutes from half-time the visitors went ahead when Cammy Dow was in the perfect spot to find the net.

Then five minutes into the second period Crossgates were in a strong position, when after a good move it allowed Archie Campbell to fire in number two.

United tried hard to fight back but the visiting defence was in form, then with 11 minutes to go the hosts managed to hit the net.

However, their joy was short lived as in Crossgates’ next attack a home defender put through his own goal, and while Blackburn got a second in time added on it was only by way of consolation.

The win keeps Crossgates in fourth spot with 21 points from 10 games.

Thornton Hibs 4

Lochore Welfare 2

INJURY stricken Welfare could have been better prepared for their first cup semi final in 17 years, with four first picks injured, but at least they managed to patch up key midfielder Robbie Crawford and dangerous forward Joe Kirby, for this Alex Jack Cup semi.

And in only eight minutes the pair combined to put Lochore ahead, when Crawford’s pass was taken by Kirby and his 16 yard shot flashed into the net.

Hibs were struggling to pose Lochore problems but an error by Welfare ‘keeper, Dale Wotherspoon, let the home side in to square things.

This sparked life into Thornton and they grabbed a second to lead at half-time, but early in the second-half a Crawford cut-back went to Logan Donaldson and he set up Kirby whose shot went just wide.

Lochore were still in it but midway through the half a corner was dropped into his own net by Wotherspoon to give Hibs a cushion and they went 4-1 up before Joe Dawson pulled one back for the visitors.

Welfare boss, James Adam, felt his team gave a good performance: “Robbie Crawford and Joe Kirby were determined to play despite not having played for weeks and did well and for the most part we carried a real threat.

“However, I felt for Dale Wotherspoon, who seldom makes an error, but it was simply not his day.”

Dundonald Bluebell 7

Ormiston Primrose 0

SECOND Division side, Ormiston, were swept aside by the ‘Bell at Moorside, in this East of Scotland Qualifying Cup third round tie.

Dundonald started quickly and in 10 minutes Ross Drummond fired the home side ahead, then five minutes later Regan Lumsden cleverly added a second.

Ormiston were finding the going tough against the Premier League side and they struggled to pose any problems for the ‘Bell, and before the break 18 year-old Lachlan Murphy, making his first start, made the interval score 3-0.

The second period saw the flow towards the Primrose goal continue and Lumsden was perfectly placed to make the score 4-0.

As the Bluebell continued to create good openings Daryl Healy finished well to add number five, and there was no let up.

Lewis McKenzie added the sixth, with a well placed volley after good work by Healy, then the attacking midfielder added number seven late on.

Bluebell boss, Stephen Husband, was delighted with his team’s performance: “We took command of the game from the very early stages and scored some very good goals.

“It is good to get into the later stages of these cup competitions but we know there are some really tough league games coming up over the next few weeks.”

Lochgelly Albert 1

Heriot Watt University 7

THE Berts’ defensive frailties were cruelly exposed by Heriot Watt, in this Second Division match at Purvis Park.

In only two minutes, slack work by a home defender allowed University in to opening the scoring, then in 17 minutes, poor marking allowed a cross to be headed home to make it 2-0.

The Berts came back when Sean Johnstone made a fine run and finished well to give home fans hope, but eight minutes from the break the home defenders stopped on the halfway line expecting a foul and the University striker ran through to make the half-time score 3-1.

Lochgelly started the second period reasonably well, but in 58 minutes more slack defending let the students in to make it 4-1.

Goals from free-kicks in the closing quarter took the Uni tally to seven leaving the Berts in second bottom spot with five points from 12 games.

Committee man Ian Patrick said: “At least four of the goals should have been avoided and that has been the tale of the last six games, cheap goals costing points.

“We need a couple of new players in to shore up our defending and start picking up points.”

Saturday’s fixtures: East of Scotland Premier Division - Broxburn Athletic v Crossgates Primrose (2.30pm), Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale v Hill of Beath Hawthorn (3pm), Musselburgh Athletic v Dundonald Bluebell (2.30pm).

East of Scotland First Division - Lochore Welfare v Preston Athletic (2.30pm).

East of Scotland Second Division - Lochgelly Albert v Stirling University (2.30pm).