SATURDAY’S East of Scotland Challenge Cup Second Round saw goals galore in the games involving local sides.

The derby match at Crosshill saw Dundonald hit eight against an injury-stricken Welfare side, while the match between Lochgelly Albert and Bo’ness Athletic saw 12 goals scored and the Berts miss a penalty.

Keirs Park also had late drama with visitors Dunipace winning a penalty shoot-out.

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 1 Dunipace 1 (AET - Dunipace won 4-3 on penalties)

HAWS came so close to winning this Challenge Cup-tie, but eventually lost out to Dunipace on penalties.

Hill of Beath had a chance from the spot to clinch it late on but the Dunipace ‘keeper saved Ross Allum’s penalty.

Yet in the first period it was all about the Haws, despite facing the wind and on the half hour an Allum flick was blasted home by Ryan Connelly. There were other chances for the home side but they failed to capitalise on them.

The second period saw Hill of Beath keep pressing, but the visitors defended well, then on the hour a mix-up involving home ‘keeper Stuart Hall and Lyle Kellichan gave Dunipace the chance to level the game.

After that Calum Adamson, Brandon Luke and Connelly had chances to restore the Hill of Beath lead, then with five to go Allum was pulled down in the Dunipace box and got up to take the spot-kick himself, only to see the ‘keeper pull off a fine save.

It was on to extra-time, which produced few chances for either side, and onto the shoot-out.

After five shots each it was 3-3 and in the extra kick stage Dunipace scored and Shaun Leishman failed with his shot.

Haws boss, Jason Dair, said: “We had the opportunities to win it, but it is always a lottery when you reach the penalty shoot-out stage.

“It was very disappointing not to win it in normal time, so we will have to ensure our finishing is better in Saturday’s Scottish Cup-tie at Newtongrange. It will be a tough tie, but it give us the chance to make a bit of club history by making the third round for the first time where the Championship and League 1 sides come in so the incentive is there to sharpen up our finishing.”

Lochore Welfare 0 Dundonald Bluebell 8

UNDERSTRENGTH Welfare were always going to find this Challenge Cup tie with Premier League opposition a tough fight and the ‘Bell produced some good football to make round three.

As this tie was postponed from September, due to the passing of Her Majesty The Queen, Welfare boss James Adam was missing from the dugout on holiday, and many home regulars were out injured.

Without several key players, Lochore were hoping to make a good start to the game but in two minutes Daryl Healy latched on to a through ball and nodded wide of the ‘keeper and finished well.

Shortly after Dundonald were two up after Scott Durie took the ball around the ‘keeper and fired it home, then things got worse for the Welfare, when after a bit of ping-pong in the home box, the ‘Bell’s Billy Rogerson netted from close in.

There was little Lochore could do to stop the flow towards their goal and Durie struck before the half hour mark to get his second and the Bluebell’s fourth.

And before the break Kyle Baker headed in a corner to make it 5-0, then Ross Drummond latched onto a long throw and his volley made it 6-0. The Welfare came out for the second period looking to change the flow of the game and the visitors were asked to work a lot harder for goals, but number seven came when Healy took a Regan Lumsden cut-back to net from close in.

Lochore created a couple of chances but couldn’t finish, and Dundonald grabbed an eighth from a Durie finish, which completed his hat-trick, after good work by Healy.

Dundonald boss, Stephen Husband, was delighted with the way his team handled the fixture with the First Division side: “It is the sort of cup competition we should be looking to make an impact in and I was delighted with the brand of football we turned on. Some of our goals were really well created and we recorded another shut out which was also pleasing.”

James Adam contacted the Times from his break and said: “The ironic thing is when this tie was due to be played we had a virtually full squad available, whereas on Saturday we had more than half a team out with injuries. To make matters worse Sean Cusick fractured his foot during the first-half to add to our problems. Our luck is horrible at the moment.”

Lochgelly Albert 4 Bo’ness Athletic 8

THERE was a goal laden Challenge Cup second round tie at Purvis Park with the Berts scoring four against big spending Third Division side, Bo’ness, and also missing a penalty.

However, early in the game Lochgelly’s old problem of giving away bad goals returned when a Bo’ness attacker got clear to net the opener in 40 seconds!

Then in eight minutes some poor marking saw a second for Athletic before a penalty conversion made it 3-0.

Then in 28 minute,s Lochgelly ‘keeper, Darren Kay, saw his clearance go to a Bo’ness attacker who made it 4-0, but before half-tine Lochgelly pulled one back with a fine shot from Sean Johnstone.

Bo’ness started the second period by taking advantage of some poor Albert defending to take their total to six, but back came the Berts and Lucas Reilly cleverly lobbed the Bo’ness ‘keeper, before Connor Murdoch curled a superb shot wide of the visiting last line.

Then the Berts were awarded a penalty, after the harassed Athletic defence committed a bad foul in their box and the ‘keeper dived to block Stevie Stark’s shot, but the ball rebounded to the taker who hit it over the bar. Bo’ness settled down after that and added another two but in a good finish by the home side Ewan Coutts netted a fourth for them after Stark’s shot had been blocked by the ‘keeper.

Berts committee man, Derek Patrick, saw some encouraging points from this cup defeat: “Bo’ness have spent a lot of money on their team to get out of the Third Division but we made it a bit easy for them with some slack defending.

“However, we came back well at them and scored some cracking goals, but we have to defend better when the league programme resumes next week.”

Saturday’s fixtures: Scottish Cup Second Round - Newtongrange Star v Hill of Beath Hawthorn (3pm).

East of Scotland Premier League - Blackburn United v Crossgates Primrose 2.30pm.

East of Scotland Second Division - Lochgelly Albert v Heriot Watt University 2.30pm.

Alex Jack Cup Semi-Final - Thornton Hibs v Lochore Welfare 2.30pm.

East of Scotland Qualifying Cup Third Round - Dundonald Bluebell v Ormiston Primrose 2.30pm.