HILL of Beath Hawthorn’s Scottish Cup victory over Highland League side Inverurie Loco Works was the big talking point from Saturday’s fixtures.

The Haws produced a grand comeback to down the Loco, but after leading for quite a spell against Benburb, Dundonald Bluebell lost two goals in time added on, to lose their ‘Scottish’ tie.

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 3

Inverurie Loco Works 1

ANOTHER top notch performance from the Haws saw the big Keirs Park crowd delighted to see the home side win this first round Scottish Cup-tie, and making club history to earn a tie away to Newtongrange Star in the next round.

Yet things started badly for Hill of Beath. Loco hit the home bar in the first minute, then home ‘keeper, Stuart Hall, made a fine save. Then in the 20th minute, from a Loco corner, a header from six yards put the visitors ahead.

But it took Haws just six minutes to level the game, when Calum Adamson produced one of his special finishes, with a volley from 16 yards, from Ryan Connelly’s cross.

The Haws started to look the better side and produced a couple of decent openings and Ross Allum’s dipping volley hit the underside of the Inverurie bar.

Haws’ second goal came seven minutes from the break when Allum this time fired in a dipping volley, which this time went under the bar.

The second period saw Inverurie fighting hard to stay in the picture, but the Haws defence stood firm and there were openings for the home team to stretch their lead.

However, the fans had to wait until the 80th minute for the key third goal, when midfielder Jonny Galloway was lying in the perfect position to beat the ‘keeper with a header from 10 yards, from an Adamson cross.

Hill of Beath boss, Jason Dair, was delighted with his team’s performance: “It was a great game for the fans with chances at both ends.

“There was a great atmosphere and the teams reacted by playing some good football and our finishing was tremendous on the day.

“It has created a bit of club history with the Haws making the second round of the Scottish Cup for the first time.”

Benburb 4

Dundonald Bluebell 2

A DRAMATIC last 15 minutes of this first round Scottish Cup tie saw the ‘Bell’s hopes of a good run ended.

Ultimately this period saw defeat for the Bluebell, after Aiden Hendry was sent off for receiving a second yellow card, then in time added on, Benburb managed to score twice to take the tie.

Yet Dundonald made a great start with Barry Sibanda’s free-kick beating the home ‘keeper and then Regan Lumsden beat the Benburb cover defence to add a second, but the home side twice pulled goals back to make the interval score 2-2.

The second period saw Dundonald produce a couple of good chances and with their defence doing well the game was evenly balanced.

Then with ten minutes left on the clock Hendry was red carded, and while it left Bluebell short handed, they kept battling and there were a couple of chances created by them.

However, a minute into time added on Benburb struck to take the lead, and then a fourth goal saw the hosts through to the next round.

Bluebell boss Stephen Husband was disappointed with his team’s second-half performance: ”We were really effective in the first-half and could have scored more than the two goals, but in the second period we were not good at all.

“We let them take over, but were holding on until Aiden Hendry picked up his second yellow and overall all it turned into a very disappointing day.”

Crossgates Primrose 0

Thornton Hibs 2

A SHOCK result at Humbug Park has seen Crossgates Primrose’s hold on the Alex Jack Cup ended.

The East of Scotland Second Division side, Thornton Hibs, produced the shock of the competition so far, with a compact performance.

Yet in the first period Crossgates had chances but some good goalkeeping kept them at bay.

Level at the break Hibs would have been happy enough to be still in the tie, but their day got even better 12 minutes into the second-half when a neat finish put them ahead.

The Primrose tried hard to get back into the game and had a couple of good openings, but the Hibs were battling hard for every ball and kept the home team out.

Then with six minutes left the Primrose’s hold on the Alex Jack Cup was over when some weak defending allowed Hibs in for a second goal.

Lochore Welfare 4

Tweedmouth Rangers 2

MORE club history was being made, this time at Central Park, with the Welfare making a cup semi final for the first time in 17 years.

This quarter-final Alex Jack Cup tie saw Lochore make a great start to the game with Robbie Crawford cutting in from the right and curling a left foot shot into the top corner of the net.

Just before the break it was 2-0 when Crawford got clear of the cover defence and rounded the ‘keeper, but there was still time for Rangers to pull one back with a short pass-back being intercepted followed by a good finish.

Early in the second-half Lochore went 3-1 up when Joe Kirby played-in Logan Donaldson whose cross was perfect for Sean Cusick to beat the ‘keeper.

After 65 minutes Crawford completed his hat-trick after a good move and assist from Cusick and that put the game out of Tweedmouth’s reach.

But they kept at it and pulled one back before the end but it was merely by way of a consolation.

Lochore boss James Adam was pleased with the way his team played: “We created a lot of chances, scored some really good goals, and we are delighted to make the club’s first semi in 17 years.”

Dalkeith Thistle 4

Lochgelly Albert 0

THE Berts hope to announce the appointment of a new manager this week after finding East of Scotland Second Division leaders, Dalkeith, a hot handful in East Lothian.

The Albert found their resources stretched, with nine players out for a variety of reasons, but made a good start to the game and after five minutes Stevie Stark went close, then Lucas Reilly got into a position but could not get the ball past the ‘keeper.

Then soon after failure to clear a simple ball into the penalty area cost the Berts dear when it was whipped into the net.

Lochgelly were posing the Thistle defence problems, but another error at the back saw Dalkeith stretch their lead, before a succession of corners saw Dalkeith struggling to preserve their two goal lead, but shortly before the break more poor defending saw the home side get a third.

The second period saw Lochgelly create good chances and Reilly and Connor Spence went close to pulling one back.

More corners followed for the Albert, but they could not convert any of them and a late fourth confirmed a big win for the home side.

Berts committee man, Derek Patric, confirmed that seven applicants had shown their interest in the manager’s job at Purvis Park, following Brian Muirhead’s departure two weeks ago.

“We have had a good response to advertising the vacancy and already interviewed two candidates,” said Derek.

“We will be carrying out more interviews this week and hope to have the new boss appointed for Saturday’s game.”

Fixtures: Saturday (all kick-offs 2.30pm)- East of Scotland Premier League: Crossgates Primrose v Hill of Beath Hawthorn.

East of Scotland First Division: Lochore Welfare v Rosyth

East of Scotland Second Division: Lochgelly Albert v Thornton Hibs.