COWDEN recorded their first win of the season last night (Tuesday) when they gave Edinburgh University a lesson in finishing at Central Park.

After a run of four Premier Sports Cup clashes, a Challenge Cup tie and six league games without a win, the Blues scored three times without reply against the Students.

“We did improve in several areas from previous games and it was good to get that first Lowland League win on the board,” manager Maurice Ross said after the match.

“We created some good chances, scored good goals and defended reasonably well, but it is just a start, we have to look to build on that and keep on improving.”

Uni had the first go at goal in the fourth minute when Louis Maurice tried a 22-yard effort but Jack Ruddy made a fingertip save to deny him.

The visitors had to make a substitution in seven minutes when Dan Ward had to limp off and James Lawton replaced him, but they were soon on the attack and David Maskrey produced a good save from Ruddy with a close-in shot.

However, in 23 minutes Cowdenbeath had a good move involving Aiden Gilmartin, who passed to Lucas Berry whose 18-yard shot was parried by ‘keeper Cammy Quate.

In 26 minutes, Uni had another good move and this time it was Maskrey, whose 16 yarder went inches over, but at the other end Berry latched onto a pass on the 18 yard line and his low drive was saved by the diving Quate.

Cowden took the lead in 33 minutes when a cross from the left was perfect for GILMARTIN to head home at the far post.

Then four minutes from the break Ben Weekes almost got a second with a curling effort that defender Alex Hamilton headed over the bar for a corner.

Eight minutes into the second period Gilmartin turned provider with a fine cross from the right and it was met by Stuart Love and his first time 12 yarder went inches wide.

Uni came forward well for a spell and forced several corners but the home side kept them out and in 76 minutes grabbed the key second goal.

Stuart Love's 22-yard free-kick was fumbled by ‘keeper Quate and the ball rolled over the line.

The third came six minutes from time when David Struthers was pulled down by Zander Thomson and Scott SINCLAIR fired the resultant penalty past Quate to give the Blues their first win of the season.