Cowdenbeath 0 Cumbernauld Colts 2

COWDENBEATH’S run without a competitive win this season moved to 10 games with this Traderadiators Challenge Cup defeat at the hands’ of fellow Lowland League side, the Colts.

The home team gave a debut to new signing Layton Bisland, a defender on loan from Dundee United until January, but it ended badly for the youngster with him being shown a straight red card.

That came late in the game, by which time Cowden had failed to dent the Cumbernauld defence.

They again gave away bad goals and didn't create many chances in another desperately disappointing display at Central Park.

Colts were a young energetic team who attacked well and defended solidly, and they fully deserved the win.

With the strong wind behind them in the first half Cumbernauld took the game to the Blues and there was an early warning in the sixth minute when Stephen O’Neill fired just wide from 12 yards.

A minute later Cowden goalie Jack Ruddy made a fingertip save from the striker as the visitors pushed for an opener.

The Blue Brazil responded and Chris Aikamhenze was out of luck when he slid into a challenge with Jacob Comerford and the ball spun off the defender and ran towards the goal line.

However Colts keeper Ryan Adamson got to the ball first and booted it to safety.

Jack Garrad thought he'd netted for Cowden when he ran through the middle and his drive from the edge of the box flew inches past the post.

But back came Cumbernauld and a cross by Cole McIntyre was met by Regan McLaren and his header soared just over the bar.

They took the lead in the 28th minute direct from a corner.

Craig HOLMES’ delivery was caught by the wind and the ball deceived Ruddy and swirled into the net.

Then six minutes later it was 2-0, when a low cross went to the unmarked O’NEILL and his finish gave Ruddy no chance.

Just before the break Aiden Gilmartin almost reduced the arrears but his cross-cum-shot ended up over the bar.

Cowden boss Maurice Ross made three changes at the interval with Sam Newman, Daniel Martins and Ben Weekes entering the fray.

But it was O’Neill who went close for Colts in 50 minutes with a shot from close range that had Ruddy at full stretch, then Comerford flashed an angled drive which was blocked by the ‘keeper.

The Blues saw plenty of the ball but they struggled to fashion any decent opportunities.

And their day got even worse with 15 minutes to go when they were reduced to 10 men after Bisland saw red for a very rash challenge on O'Neill.

There was a clash as Colts players reacted angrily to the tackle but that was pretty much the only impact Cowden made on their opponents.

Cowdenbeath: Jack Ruddy (7); Layton Bisland (5), Ewan Thomson (5) (Sam Newman 46 (6)), Alfie Robinson (5) (Daniel Martins 46 (6)), Jordan Armstrong (6), Lucas Berry (6), David Struthers (6), Jack Garrad (6) (Harry Osborne 66 (3)), Aiden Gilmartin (6) (Cammy Graham 52 (3)), Stuart Love (5) (Ben Weekes 46 (6)), Chris Aikamhenze (6).

Subs not used: Jonny Jarron and Dan Farrell.

Cumbernauld Colts: Adamson (7); McIntyre (6), Dickson (7), Home (7), McKnight (7), Comerford (7), O’Neill (8) (Tade 79 (3)), MacPherson (6) (McFarlane 84 (2)), Holmes (7), Tapping (7) (McGiff 66 (3)), McLaren (7) (McNeill 79 (3)).

Subs not used: Johnston and Kearney.

Referee: Jordan Curran (7)

Attendance: 114