Cowdenbeath 1 Annan Athletic 3
cinch League 2
Attendance - 243

A COUPLE of strange situations saw Cowdenbeath lose their second successive home game.

Throughout the game at Central Park on Saturday, even when down to ten men after skipper Craig Barr was sent off, they had more than their fair share of the ball, but Cowden conceded two penalties, the first of which looked unlucky, and conceded a bad second goal seconds from the interval, but they did not give up.

The Cowdenbeath line-up showed a few changes from the Edinburgh City game, with Dave McGurn in goal for Cammy Gill whose Covid isolation ended on Sunday.

Jacob Glass and Andrew Barrowman came in to the team with their signings announced on Friday, with the defender doing well but Barrowman was unlucky to receive an injury at the first penalty and his debut lasted just 15 minutes.

It looked from the stand that the Annan forward who won the penalty, kicked the youngster on the ankle but the referee saw the situation that the signing from the US had accidentally kicked Lewis Hunter! It was one of these decisions that are just not going Cowden’s way at the moment and Barrowman had to be subbed.

Despite losing the second goal seconds from the break Cowden came out for the second period in positive mood and could have levelled the game before Barr’s dismissal.

Annan grabbed the opening goal in only five minutes. After the home defence failed to clear a raid by the visitors, Barrowman challenged on Lewis Hunter just inside the Cowden box and Tony WALLACE converted from the spot after the ref adjudged it a foul.

Annan went close again when a Roan Steele cross was met by Tommy Goss and his header flew inches wide.

In 21 minutes a mistake by the visitors let Gavin Morrison run clean through on their goal but the midfielder’s low 14 yard shot was finger-tipped for a corner by Greg Fleming.

But on the half hour the ‘keeper made a mistake, when Craig Thomson’s corner was dropped on the line and Liam BUCHANAN blasted the loose ball into the net from five yards .

The home side saw sub Buchanan go close again and had other half chances but on the interval whistle McGurn was caught out in his six yard box and the ball was switched to GOSS who tapped in from only a few yards range.

In 51 minutes Cowden went close when a corner landed at Bobby Barr’s feet on the edge of the six yard shot but with just Fleming to beat he fired wide.

The home hopes evaporated with 34 minutes to go when Craig Barr picked up two yellows within a space of a few seconds for arguing with referee Lloyd Wilson, and Annan skipper Steven Swinglehurst.

However, with 22 minutes to go a slip by Annan’s Matty Douglas allowed Bobby Barr a chance 16 yards out but he hurried his shot and the ball flew over the bar.

Then with six minutes left Annan got a third when Thomson gave away a needless penalty and Aidan SMITH converted, after his first effort was saved by McGurn, but the referee spotted a Cowden defender in the box and re-awarded the spot-kick.

Cowdenbeath: Dave McGurn (6); Fraser Mullen (7), Jacob Glass (6) (Ross Clarke 68 (3)), Craig Thomson (7), Craig Barr (5), Jamie Todd (6), Kyle Hutton (6), Gavin Morrison (6) (Quinn Coulson 85 (2)), Andrew Barrowman (4) (Liam Buchanan 13 (6)), Bobby Barr (6), Robbie Buchanan (6). Subs not used, Harvey Swann, Kane O’Connor, Kyle Miller, Quinn Coulson.

Annan Athletic: G Fleming (7); Steele (6), Clark (6), Moxen (7) (Purdue 74 (3)), Douglas (6), Swinglehurst (7), Wallace (8) (K Fleming 83 (2)), Hunter (7) (Anderson 88 (2)), Smith (7) (Docherty 88 (2), Goss (7) (McCartney 74 (3), Johnston (7). Subs not used, Lowdon and Adamson (gk).

Referee - Lloyd Wilson (6).