Cowdenbeath 1 Edinburgh City 2
SPFL cinch League Two

Cowdenbeath go into the New Year seven points adrift at the foot of cinch League Two after a late goal gave Edinburgh City a narrow win.

Maurice Ross made one change to the side which had drawn with Albion Rovers with Bobby Barr replacing Liam Buchanan up front.

His counterpart Gary Naismith was forced to field several of his under-20 squad due to an injury crisis and a positive Covid-19 test in his squad.

With five minutes gone the first chance of the night fell to the visitors when Innes Murray broke through on goal but his shot was blocked by home keeper Cammy Gill.

Then three minutes later an Ouzy See shot flashed across the face of the goal with Gill palming the ball away at the expense of a corner.

With 12 minutes gone Lucas Berry sent a weak shot past the Cowden post. A minute later Fraser Mullen sent a cross into the visitor’s box to Bobby Barr but his shot was held by the diving Brian Schwake.

Then, 12 minutes from the interval, Quinn Coulson had a shot from the edge of the box following a good run but he was denied by the keeper.

Then a minute later Schwake dived to deny Robbie Buchanan as the home side looked to break the deadlock.

The Blue Brazil almost snatched the lead in 38 minutes when Bobby Barr’s close range shot was palmed away by Schwake and a minute later Kyle Miller sent a shot from the edge of the box over the bar.

A Mullen free kick into the box was punched into the path of Craig Thomson whose shot was deflected for a corner.

The first half closed with City captain See having to be replaced by Scott Reekie after he picked up an injury.

City took the lead with 51 minutes when John ROBERTSON curled a low shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

With 68 minutes gone Robbie Buchanan slotted the ball to Bobby Barr who sent his 14-yard shot over the bar.

Robbie Buchanan was then denied by Schwake at the near post following a Bobby Barr cross.

Cowden got a deserved equaliser in 74 minutes when Bobby Barr sent a cross over the face of the visiting goal for Liam BUCHANAN to head home his ninth goal of the season at the back post just a minute after he had come off the bench.

However, City took the lead again on 83 minutes when Scott REEKIE headed home from a Murray corner.

Two minutes into injury time a curling shot from Thomson was turned around the post by Schwake as the visitors held on.

Cowdenbeath are seven points behind Elgin City and eight behind Albion Rovers, with both sides holding a game in hand over the Blue Brazil.

COWDENBEATH: Gill, Thomson, Mullen, O’Connor (L Buchanan 73), C Barr, Todd, Miller (Hutton 46), Morrison, B Barr, Coulston (Swann 65), R Buchanan. Subs not used: McGurn, Clarke, Mahady, Glass.

EDINBURGH CITY: Schwake, Jarron (Bronsky 80), Farrell, See (Reekie 45 +4), Fraser (Boyle 75), Berry, Ferguson, Brian, Murray, Robertson, McKay. Subs not used: Quate, Bronsky, McNab, Millar.

REFEREE: Barry Cook

Words by Andrew Mullen