A DISAPPOINTING final score for Cowdenbeath, but they created chances and could have done a lot better at Stair Park on Saturday.

The Blues showed one change from the side which beat Stirling Albion with Gavin Morrison in the midfield area, replacing Harvey Swann but it took 45 minutes for the recast format to gel.

By that time Cowden were two down and despite a brave second period effort where the woodwork defied them, they left Stranraer with nothing, their travels yielding but two points this season.

The Blue Brazil had a lot more of the ball in second period and really were unfortunate not to pull themselves back into the game.

But the facts reveal that the only points won by Cowdenbeath, on the road this term, have been draws at Stenhousemuir and Edinburgh City and that will have to improve if they are to get themselves up the table.

Yet in the very first minute Cowdenbeath had a clear opening with Bobby Barr seeing his 20 yarder creep just wide but two minutes later Stranraer’s Dean Hawkshaw fired a right foot shot from a free-kick, inches too high.

Hawkshaw was proving to be a livewire for the home side and in 12 minutes he saw a 19 yarder held by Cammy Gill.

However, in 19 minutes Stranraer took the lead when Matt YATES was given too much space 10 yards out on the right hand of the visitors’ box and his drive flew into the bottom corner of the net.

Cowden tried to get back into the game and Bobby Barr saw his left foot drive saved but six minutes from the break the visitors went two down.

Tommy MUIR decided to have a go from just outside the Cowden box and he caught it sweetly to make life difficult for the Blues.

At the interval visiting manager Maurice Ross brought on Robbie Buchanan for Kyle Hutton and on the hour mark Liam Buchanan saw his 12 yarder saved by Scullion, then eight minutes later Kyle Miller saw his drive bring out a good save from the ‘keeper .

Aware that they were starting to fall out the picture the ‘Raer sent on subs Paul Woods and Ross Smith, but in 77 minutes Cowden’s Robbie Buchanan saw his nine yarder hit a post but stay out, and then Liam Buchanan’s shot was blocked by the desperate Stranraer defence.

In the closing minutes Cowden forced a couple of corners but could get the goal they needed and in time added on Robbie Buchanan found himself in space and his angled shot flew inches wide, which summed up Cowden’s day.

Stranraer: Scullion; McIntosh Ellis, Ross, Burns, Robertson, Yates (Rennie 82), Brady (Woods 71), Muir, Watson (Walker 81), Hawkshaw (Smith 71). Subs not used, Langan, N’Goy, Moore and Irving.

Cowdenbeath: Cammy Gill; Craig Thomson, Fraser Mullen, Kane O’Conner, Craig Barr, Jamie Todd, Kyle Miller, Kyle Hutton (Robbie Buchanan 46), Liam Buchanan (Harvey Swann 81), Bobby Barr (Quinn Coulson 64), Gavin Morrison. Subs not used, Lennon Watson, Ross Clarke, Luke Mahady and Dave McGurn.