Cowdenbeath 3 Brechin City 2

Premier Sports Cup Group D

A LAST minute strike gave Cowdenbeath a dramatic win over City and opens the door to the knock-out stages of the Premier Sports Cup.

After dominating the first half, the Blues lost their way after the break and ended up struggling to contain the side which lost their place in League 2 to Kelty Hearts.

But Cowden found a new gear and stepped up their game in the closing minutes at Central Park on Saturday, and when Brechin were reduced to 10 men after veteran defender Iain Davidson was red carded for a last man foul, Kris Renton grabbed the winner with seconds left.

So all Gary Bollan's men need to do is go to Premiership side Livingston on Saturday and win to make the knock-out stages of the competition!

It's a tough task but the manager will have been impressed with the way the team performed, especially in the first half, as they scored twice and it could have been more.

Bol;an would have been less than pleased with the way the team struggled against a strong wind after the break, as silly errors crept into their play and gave Brechin a foothold in the match.

Cowden opened well and a four man move ended with a cross from Fraser Mullen which landed on top of the net.

But two minutes later Gregor Jordan fired just over and then Michael Paton brought out a fine save from Cammy Gill with an angled drive.

And it was the Blues goalie to the rescue again with a good stop from Garry Wood.

However, in 25 minutes Cowden went ahead when Gill’s long kick was missed by the City defence and RENTON coolly went through and fired the ball past ‘keeper Jack Wills.

Three minutes later it was 2-0. Robbie Buchanan was floored in the City box and Liam BUCHANAN made an expert job of the penalty award.

Brechin kept plugging away, with former Cowdenbeath man David Cox making some good passes, and from one of them Jack Milne fired just wide.

The home side were sharp going forward and both Buchanan and Renton threatened again before the interval.

City replaced Luc Bollan with Kieran Inglis at the break, but it was the Blue Brazil who started aggressively with Renton, Kyle Hutton and Liam Buchanan linking well and a neat interception by Davidson thwarted Robbie Buchanan.

In 57 minutes a good Brechin move saw Cox find spaced 15 yards out but his wind assisted drive went just over.

At the other end, a dangerous Bobby Barr pass set up Liam Buchanan but after Wills blocked his first effort the striker blasted over.

As Cowden sought a third goal Renton saw his shot deflect off Jordan and fly inches over the bar, but then Cox made a fine run down the left, cut inside Robbie Buchanan and his drive brought out a fingertip save from Gill.

In 67 minutes City pulled one back. WOOD made good ground into the Cowden box and his low shot gave the goalkeeper no chance.

Then with 14 minutes to go the visitors levelled when Jamie Todd pulled down INGLIS and the winger got up to score from the spot.

As the clock ticked down Davidson was red carded for fouling Robbie Buchanan and the short handed City lost the third goal to a header from RENTON.

Cowdenbeath: Cammy Gill (7); Fraser Mullen (7), Craig Thomson (7); Jamie Todd (6), Craig Barr (6), Kyle Miller (7); Robbie Buchanan (6), Kyle Hutton (7), Kris Renton (8) (Luke Mahady 89 (2)), Liam Buchanan (7), Bobby Barr (6) (Harvey Swann 83 (2)).

Subs not used, Ross Pollock, James Collins, Quinn Coulson, Jacob Glass and Dave McGurn (gk).

Brechin City: Wills (7); Bain (6), Scott (6) (Gallesso 68 (3)); Bollan (6) (Inglis 46 (6)), Davidson (6), Wood (7); Cox (6) (Currie 80 (2)), Milne (6), Paton (7), Kucheriavy (6), Jordan (6).

Referee: Dan McFarlane (7).

Attendance: 245